Live backup rig

marknjules1

This is the first time I have ever been digital. I used to carry a 100w tube head & a 2nd as a backup. Just realized that if this thing goes down I am in trouble. The whole point of digital is to save my back, so no more head & cabs for this guy. What are you gigging musicians using as backup to your Ax8? I was thinking some outdated used line6 or something just to get me through a gig if needed.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

I did use a Line 6 HD500 before I got the AX8. I will use the HD500 for a back up at the moment until I buy another AX8

Roland GR-55 or Axe-FX II XL. It depends on whether on I am using my virtual guitar set up or not. One can use the amp models and FX in the Roland in a pinch, but they are not as good.

I probably should have mentioned that it's a backup on a budget. I'm leaning towards a Tech 21 RK9 or maybe a Boss Katana. Can't justify spending too much $$ on something I, hopefully, will never need. Still haven't sold my Bogner XTC. Btw $2000 shipped. :)

I have a Vox Stomplab IIG in my gig bag at all times, which I got used for $40. I bought it on a whim because it was so cheap but it actually sounds quite good. I programmed some basic gig ready patches and then, lo and behold, I had a flight where airlines lost my bags, including AX8 in flight case, so I had to use the Stomplab for a gig with a symphony orchestra. I got nothing but compliments from front of house and the band all said I sounded like me and they would've never known I was using a different processor. Clearly the Stomplab isn't going to dethrone the AX8 anytime soon but for $80 new it's hard to beat the Vox.

Tech21 ( IMO) has good amp sim pedals. They were what I used last , in my attempt to leave my amps home.
I had an ampifire pedal for backup , that sounded good enough to give my singer to replace his guitar sim unit.
I wanted a simpler solution than a pile of tech21 pedals , so I bought their flyrig.
I wasn't overly impressed with the sound that model provided in it's all-in-one design , so I opted to get the RK flyrig after. It's no AX8 (OBVIOUSLY) lol , but it's compact and will due in a pinch. And , if you play a fender , it will fit in the jumbo pocket inside a fender case.
Smart to have a backup. I've had zero problems with my AX8 , but stuff happens. Bad power at a gig could fry it , spilled drink , slip and drop , etc ,. Hasn't even got to be the fault of the unit itself.
When I gig , I have a backup plan for almost every piece of gear and cord that could fail. It only took one bad experience for me to learn my lesson on being prepared.

So what do you think of the RK flyrig? I've considered both the Plexi and the RK version. From what I've heard I don't like the sound of the gain...kinda fizzy.

Well , I'm not a high gain kinda guy. I know it's all personal preference , so I hate to say anymore than , I wanted more gain than the original had.
It will depend on what guitar , with what pickups , and what sound you're after.
I use low output pickups ( I should add )
If you're buying one from a catalog type store (MF) , that has excellent return policies , or you live near a GC type store that might have them in store , it's worth plugging your own guitar into to try first , before you commit.

Back
Top Bottom