Live amp solution for the Axe Fx II

Darki

Hi everyone, I’m new here, I’m thinking of buying an axe fx II, I play in a jazz/fusion context, and I only have a small jazz combo and it’s tones don’t cut it for me. I’m in a tight budget and I was wondering what would be the best live amplifying solution for little money to start with!
Ps: I already spent some time researching this, but I’d like to have an opinion on this exact situation.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I assume you or whatever venue you are playing has a PA for FOH, so I would go straight FRFR into that, no messing around. Then I would get a small powered FRFR floor monitor to hear myself but if the venue has wedges you don't even need that. Wouldn't bother with stereo.

Works in a rehearsal room as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Andrew, the thing is that a really big number of the places here where I live, require the musicians to bring all audio equipment, and I don't have a PA :confused::(

I'd also recommend a FRFR setup, specifically a powered speaker.

For example, a JBL EON 610 streets at around US$350 and has more than enough power to cover any small (e.g. up to 100 or so patrons) jazz venue.

You can definitely spend more: I don't believe that it's necessary to do so.

+1 on the EON suggestion. You can expand your system as time and budget allow. I suggest you also give careful consideration to the AX8. It is less expensive, and works very well for live gigging. Same great Fractal sounds, no need for a foot controller, portable and easy to set up and teardown. I have an Axe FX for studio work, but I use the AX8 for gigging. For a small jazz fusion combo, the AX8 work work very well.

I play primarily combo gigs and musicals and I use a Mackie Thump 12. It's not the best because it's a little bass-heavy. But just a little EQ tweaking and it's not the worst.

Easier solution: Your guitar to the AXE input. Output of the AXE into return of your combo amp. This, in most cases bypasses the front panel controls and allows your AXEFX to be the pre-amp and you'll be slaving from the power section of your combo.

This also will stop you from preamping your pre-amp in your combo amp. Meaning some people take the out of the AXE and go directly into the input of their amp on the front. 7 out of 10 times, this just sounds bad in my personal experiences or you have to use a clean sound in your amp. That usually sounds harsh if you use any type of distortion or some drive through it.

To avoid this, use it the way I said and you'll have the best pure sound with 0 artifacts. This would also be the least inexpensive as you'd not need anything additional other than an AXEFX or even an AX8. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I also play jazz and fusion. You can't assume most places have PAs. Some are just small gigs. I like the powered speaker solution. I have two XiTones. But you're on a budget. Before that, I used a small, light Randall 2-80 power amp and two 12" speakers. Worked fine.

I'm currently running AX8 into polytone 1-12 combo fx return. Sounds ok and got me through the gig. I want to try a powered monitor (even though im getting plenty of highs already) but usually am getting mic'd in clubs so mic positioning would be tough, so then only option to get in the PA is direct line out from AX8 or K12 etc.

I would recommend go with an AX8, and buy a high quality FRFR powered cab with the money you save.
^ This. The AX8 can do anything a guitar player needs in an average band context, IMO. Judging from your description, I don't think you'd need the extra processing power and some extra effect blocks from the Axe-Fx II.

AX8 is ON SALE!!!
While the Axe FXII XL+ is also on sale. Yet you would undoubtedly need a foot controller for the Axe II, which makes it a significantly larger investment. Good investment, yet more $$.
However, I agree with others, the AX8 with a small cab will be GREAT. I’ve used it through a 1X12 with excellent results in a live situation. You would need a power source for the AX8, yet there are plenty available for reasonable prices...Quilter Amps, Seymour Duncan Powerstage 70, and many others.
Either the AX8 or the Axe II can go direct if that’s available as well.

My opinion is a little different than most, but I say if you already love the tone you get from your combo amp then just get an fx8 for effects only. If it aint broke then don't fix it. If you're playing very small venues (like me) that don't even have a PA then having the option to go direct into the FOH doesn't do you any good does it? And if they do have a PA, they can mic your cab like usual. I don't really understand why you would want to switch to FRFR if you're not going direct to FOH and already have a nice sounding amp/cab. Saving space / weight might be the only reason.

But if you want to experiment with new amp sounds and maybe want to be able to record silently with an amp modeler then get an fx8. If you go this route then you'll need to decide if you want to ditch the combo amp and go FRFR or if you want to keep the combo and just go into the fx return.

Thank you all for your responses, I wanna make it clear that my combo’s tones aren’t so good.
Anyways if I thought about buying the ax8 I think it would actually be more expensive for me, I live in Portugal and I can buy an axe fx ii mark ii here used for 1350€, if I got the ax8 I think it'd be more expensive due to delivery charges and stuff, right now I'm more inclined to the EON solution...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom