Little Walter

It doesn't say what circuit it's based on, but I'm just guessing from the tube complement that it's an early Bassman clone.

Tone matching would require someone to actually own the amp. Worth a shot I guess. I think we can already get pretty darn close to that already.

There's this:

From what I've been able to find online, they are closely modeled after the 5c3 circuit... They are plain and simple. Just a Volume and Tone knob. He does tweak the tone circuit though as there is no harsh top end on them and the low end is not boomy at all. There really isn't a ton of info on them as far as specs go...just a lot of speculation. I have played them at a local shop and if you are looking for some clear country twang, then this is your amp!

Here are some gut shots of a 22w Little Walter.... When he says he keeps it simple, he means just that!!!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

But, he's apparently used a 5B6 circuit in the past as well...... a Fender 5B6 Bassman circuit from Tino Zottola's book.
index.php
index.php
index.php

They are kind unique as they use octal preamp tubes......which helps them have all that glorious clean headroom that draws the pedal steel players to them. If you want to hear some amazing pedal steel playing, look up Paul Franklin. He plays a Little Walter 50w version.

There are some expensive caps in there. Those Auricaps and Musicaps go for 12-15 bucks a pop, depending on the capacitor value! There's a used 50 watt over on the Steel Guitar Forum for $1300. Seems like a pretty good price as they list at $3K!

There are some expensive caps in there. Those Auricaps and Musicaps go for 12-15 bucks a pop, depending on the capacitor value! There's a used 50 watt over on the Steel Guitar Forum for $1300. Seems like a pretty good price as they list at $3K!
Is it a 50w combo or just head?

It doesn't say what circuit it's based on, but I'm just guessing from the tube complement that it's an early Bassman clone.

Those scooped clean tones at the beginning do sound like a Bassman to my ears.

It's a head. It's the VG....Vince Gill 50 watt head.

Man, that's almost tempting to jump on! The guy lives in Georgia so he is really close to me. I live in Alabama. I saw the he would sell the 1x15 cabinet with it for another $200....but I bet that thing would sound killer through a 2x12!!!

Looking on the Little Walter website. It says that Paul uses a Twin series amp head. Th head has 2-50 watt chassis in one head, a different tone stack than The VG(Vince Gill) model.

http://littlewaltertubeamps.com/products/twinseries

Here's the VG:

http://littlewaltertubeamps.com/products/VG-50/

Yeah, I just went and had a look at the site..... I could have sworn he was using a VG in the Premier Rig Rundown video, but I'm sure I was wrong. Since we are talking about Little Walters, did you see the new 10w model they are coming out with soon. It's a 10w single ended 6v6 based on the original 50's Fender Harvard 5F10 amps.......and they sound sweet!!! I wish I knew what his tweaks were to the amp, cause you could easily build one of those on the cheap. They are so basic, but sound so dang good!!! Well, as long as you don't need a ton of clean headroom anyways...

I didn't see the 10 watt, haven't really looked at an amp site in a while... I played 2 gigs last year where I used a real tube amp. One was a blues jam where the band I was playing with was hosting. I used a Matchless Spitfire and a few pedals. The other gig was at a retirement housing party, where I played guitar and pedal steel guitar through a BF Pro Reverb. I used an outboard reverb for steel through the normal channel and played gtr through the reverb channel. Didn't need any overdrive for that gig :).

Looks like the Little Walter amps are using Hammond iron and some pricy caps in places.
In those pics you posted, it's pretty easy to tell the values of the resistors in the amp. Maybe find a 5C3 diagram and compare.

I have some Little Walter KPA profiles, I may tonematch that, but it wouldn't be the same than tonematching the actual amp

Back
Top Bottom