Little help setting up Axe-Fx 3 and matrix power amp, 2x12 cab

dharq

Inspired
hey all looking for a little help setting up

Axe-Fx 3 with matrix power amp, 2x12 cab

anyone free for a few min

Thanks

With a mono cab, Left out from Axe III to input A or B on Matrix. Same output to Cab.
That should do it. I use a stereo 2x12 cab, so I use L/R outs to A/B Inputs in Matrix.
Then A/B out to L/R in of cab.

The way I usually connect my physical cab setup is the following:

Instrument patch cable from Axe Output 3 to Input of Matrix. Speaker cable out of Matrix into Input of Cab.
Make sure that you have the corresponding routing within the Axe setup as well. I use Output 3 for my physical cab with so it gets not Cab Block, which I use Output 1 for. Hope this helps.

I would recommend using output 3 going to the matrix power amp. Turn up the output of the axeFX3 output 3 fully clockwise for unity gain. Turn up the matrix for your cabinet volume.

This also frees up your preset to send a cabinet sim IR to FOH directly from out 1

Last edited:
Please let us know your first reaction with this set up compared to frfr….I am considering exactly the same set up with a matrix and a 2x12

Hmmm .... your pic shows you're opting to use Bridged mode. You should be connecting the AxeFX output to Input Channel A on the Matrix in that case (and Output X to the cab as you already have done).

Personally I prefer to set the Matrix input volumes up high (3 o'clock position) and control overall volume from the output on the Fractal ...... the Matrix does seem to get a bit more alive with it's input attenuators opened up even if the input signal is not as strong as it could be from the AxeFX.

You might find that just using 'Stereo' setting on the Matrix and using just one channel's in and out provides enough power to your cab to the volume you need ...... it also means you can have the channel front input level turned up to that 3 o'clock or higher position with less risk of blowing a speaker if there's a mishap in sending too much signal from the AxeFX. You also might have some redundancy in having a 'spare' channel should one go down ... though that would depend on the type of component failure in the amp obviously.

Back
Top Bottom