Little help for the new guy

Hello Fractal gang, after just purchasing an FX8, I wondered if I could get a little help? I have been able to tweak and save the Presets, but how do you get a Preset into a Scene? And also, how can you put the Presets in an order so you can bank up and down?
I seem to only be able to move throught "ALL" of the Presets, even the ones that I do not want. Maybe Scenes will solve that, but I sure would appreciate some help, and thank you!

Hi Freddy. Welcome to the Fractal Forum.
I'm not an FX8 user so I can't really help you directly with your question, but have you downloaded and read the manual? FAS manuals are very well written and will get you where you want to go.
There's also a wiki that's very complete.
Good luck!

Thanks for the nice note! And yeah, I have checked out the manual - and there is nothing that conveys how to "set up" a scene.
I purchased this FX8 used, so it is quite possible that the previous owner set this pedal up in a way that suited him, but it is driving me crazy!
All I can do is scroll though "ALL" of the presets... it will not bank up and down, just though the entire library - which is frustrating. ,And when I use the Editor to try and work with the Scenes, it does not do anything. Anyway, maybe someone that can actually help will respond.

You can’t “get a Preset into a Scene” . Each Preset contains scenes which are just variations in the states of effects in that preset only.

Quick note to make sure we are on same page: "Scenes" are various on/off stages of the effects on a single preset. Changing scenes can turn on/off multiple effects (think: pedals) with a single button press. I don't know your experience or expertise, forgive me if this is "dumbed down." This is a BASIC tutorial - the FX8 can do a LOT.

Quick tutorial, using the FX8-Edit app:
1. start with a blank preset
2. to the right of the picture of the FX8 unit, there are 8 spots where you can drop effects. Immediately above are 6 screen tabs marked "Effects", "Config", "Footswitches", "Gate/Out", "Controllers", and "Looper." Make sure you are in the "Effects" tab - it lights up in yellow. Right click the mouse and drop an effect in each of the effects spots below those tabs. They will all be lit up in color. Your actual FX8 unit will still look blank.
3. Click on the "Config" tab and decide the balance of pre/post effects. Pre is like plugging into the front of your amp, post is like plugging into the effects loop. Sometimes makes a huge difference. "Series" essentially means daisy-chained, plugging one effect into the next; parallel is running them at the same time, but not "into" each other.
4. Click on the "Footswitches" tab. Right click on each of the spots and assign the effects you loaded into the appropriate spot. NOW you will see them appear on the screen of your actual FX8 unit.
5. Hit the "Save" button on the app.
6. Set "Scene Select" to 1. Just as an example, turn OFF all effects you loaded, except for one. Turn them on and off by clicking on the effect and pushing the space bar on your keyboard. Hit "Save."
7. Now go to Scene 2. All of the effects probably lit up in color again, meaning they are all on. This time, turn two or three effects off and hit "Save" again.

That's enough for you to get the idea. Press Scene 1 and the only effect that is on is the one you did in step 6. Press Scene 2 and you'll see the effects change again to match what you set-up in step 7. Press Scene 3 and they'll all light up.

The X/Y sliders give you the option to set the knobs differently on each effect, giving you two different settings on the same effect. When you set up your scenes, in addition to turning effects off and on, you can choose the X or Y version for each.

Again, this was a BASIC effects/scene set-up. You can go really crazy with the FX8.

With regards to the rolling through presets, the F1, F2 and F3 footswitches on the FX8 unit can be assigned a couple of different ways to perform different functions. Check out Chapter5 (page 21) in the FX8 owner's manual to configure it how you like.

I hope this helped! Welcome to the Fractal Forum!

Just a quick add, I have my F-Switches set up like this:

F1: quick press, and then footswitches 1-8 will change to that scene, gotta push F1 again for each scene change
F1: long press, and move up and down through the banks with F2 and F3 and the presets-per-bank with switches 1-8

F2: quick press = looper
F2: long press = bypass all effects

F3: quick press = tap tempo
F3: long press = tuner

Each of the 8 footswitches has THREE lights. Without using the F-Switches, a quick press will turn the effect on or off that is assigned to that switch (green). A long press will activate or deactivate the "Y" version of the effect, if there is one (yellow). On mine, quick press of F1 and then any footswitch will change scenes and light up that scene number in red. It's possible to have all three lights glowing on a single footswitch button: Scene, "Y" version, effect ON.

Last edited:
For getting the presets into your own personal preferred order, go to FX8-Edit - click on the "Tools" dropdown at the top of the app and then click on "Preset Manager." It will allow you to drag & drop the presets wherever you like. Make sure to hit "Save."

How you arrange your FX8 is up to your needs. You can make it as simple or complex as you like. Maybe you only need 8 high-quality stompboxes and the settings never change. Make one preset with 8 scenes. Or, make a preset for every song, with a scene for the intro, verse, chorus, bridge and solo. Put them in the order of your set-list, arrange alphabetically, or whatever works for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom