Little features you like about the Axe-Fx

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Well we all know how good the Axe-fx sounds and feels, but I was wondering what little features there are that you like the most.

for me, on 2nd place:
global tempo: In a live situation where you constantly change presets it's something that just obvious and it's so weird to me that this is not a standard feature in all the other companys (line6, boss, digitech,... ). AFAIK, only available in some TC products.

and on the 1st place:
autoengage: I use it to engage/disengage my WAH (which I use a lot) and I can't live without it anymore :cool:

Now, which little features do you like the most?

For me:
- The bypass-reset-parameter trick, priceless when you've screwed enough on a preset
- Also the autoengage feature. Now more (bad) pressing a toe button!
- Global amps.

voes said:
Well we all know how good the Axe-fx sounds and feels, but I was wondering what little features there are that you like the most.

for me, on 2nd place:
global tempo: In a live situation where you constantly change presets it's something that just obvious and it's so weird to me that this is not a standard feature in all the other companys (line6, boss, digitech,... ). AFAIK, only available in some TC products.

and on the 1st place:
autoengage: I use it to engage/disengage my WAH (which I use a lot) and I can't live without it anymore :cool:

Now, which little features do you like the most?

Those same ones. In 3rd place, the ability to grab an effect block from another preset.

The ability to increase and decrease patch levels and save on the fly.
Great in a gig situation.
Just a shame it takes out 2 of the stomp options on my FCB1010.

The low cut frequency in the advanced amp block. Saved enourmous amounts of work dropping PEQ before and after the amp block.

User IR's. Many still can't get their heads around it, but to me it is one of the top 3 features I find the most powerful and empowering.

Routing. No where else, save the "Switchblade" (dedicated routing switchers), has anything like the grid ever been attempted or achieved that I am aware of in a guitar processor. Totally reset the bar.

Continued development
. I know calling this a 'feature' is a stretch, but I've never owned anything that gained capability and features as I owned it... for free. Not just superfluous stuff; real 'to the core of its essence' development that goes on to this day and the foreseeable future for that matter. Continued development and response to the user community for 2+ years on top of it.

Scott Peterson said:
Continued development. I know calling this a 'feature' is a stretch, but I've never owned anything that gained capability and features as I owned it... for free. Not just superfluous stuff; real 'to the core of its essence' development that goes on to this day and the foreseeable future for that matter. Continued development and response to the user community for 2+ years on top of it.

+1,000,000 :mrgreen:

I agree with Scott, the user IR's have become very useful to me.

I use the effect copy tool alot. I have two presets on my ultra which contain my favorite, most used effects. The presets dont link anything together nor do they contain any amps or cabs- i just use it like an effects library. its convienient, i dont need to remember which patch contained an effect i wanted, i just go to my library.

Hi all

Not wanting to hijack the thread but how do you increase or decrease patch levels and save on the fly using 2 Ia's??

I would love that as a way to really get my patches level during a gig.

thanks.

vaxed said:
The ability to increase and decrease patch levels and save on the fly.
Great in a gig situation.
Just a shame it takes out 2 of the stomp options on my FCB1010.
Ditto. I also wish this feature was available on Output 2.

Mike Snider said:

I use the effect copy tool alot. I have two presets on my ultra which contain my favorite, most used effects. The presets dont link anything together nor do they contain any amps or cabs- i just use it like an effects library. its convienient, i dont need to remember which patch contained an effect i wanted, i just go to my library.

Great idea.

yek said:
Mike Snider said:

Great idea.

:shock: +1

SparkyG said:
Hi all

Not wanting to hijack the thread but how do you increase or decrease patch levels and save on the fly using 2 Ia's??

I would love that as a way to really get my patches level during a gig.

thanks.

On the I/O menu's CTRL page, you have the option to assign a CC to the functions called "VOLUME INCR" and "VOLUME DECR." These two functions increase and decrease the MAIN parameter of the MIX page of the LAYOUT menu with +-1dB and also saves the patch.

Scott Peterson said:
Routing. No where else, save the "Switchblade" (dedicated routing switchers), has anything like the grid ever been attempted or achieved that I am aware of in a guitar processor. Totally reset the bar.

Have you tried the G-Force? Check out the manual and you might find the Axe-FX similarities kind of interesting: http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/G-Force_US_net.pdf 4-by-something grid to freely place & connect effects, LFO/ADSR/Pitch/Envelope controllers, adjustable modifier curves & damping, custom harmonizer scale (single global scale IIRC)... pretty cool for being over 10 years old IMO.

Modifiable curves for expression pedals. I love that. Even for simple on/off modifiers it can turn powerful. I'll have one external switch simultaneously turn things off, turn things on and vary the levels on things. One tap. Blows my mind every time I setup something like this.

Bakerman said:
Scott Peterson said:

Have you tried the G-Force? Check out the manual and you might find the Axe-FX similarities kind of interesting: http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/G-Force_US_net.pdf 4-by-something grid to freely place & connect effects, LFO/ADSR/Pitch/Envelope controllers, adjustable modifier curves & damping, custom harmonizer scale (single global scale IIRC)... pretty cool for being over 10 years old IMO.

Yeah, but the G-Force didn't have a routeable effects loop... its drive block can't hold a candle to the drive and amp sim blocks in the Axe-FX... and NOBODY can compare to the level of support and additional features that have been consistently available (for free) over the last 2 to 3 years.

No doubt it was cool 10 years ago... but it ain't nothin' like the Axe-FX of today.

As far as features go... for what I use right now Auto-engage is great. I use the Axe-FX with a spring loaded Mission Engineering EP-1R expression pedal. Love that setup... just step on the expression pedal and boom got the wah. Step off (no matter where I am in the sweep) and the pedal returns to heel down and wah shuts off.

+1 on everything else... I too like the idea of having a patch with an effects library, very smart. For me, my "awaiting the next firmware so I created one common patch with all the effects I think I will need" patch kind of covers it for me (for now)...

+1 on the double clicking on the bypass to reset parameters...

My other favorite is while you are in an edit block parameter screen, clicking on the edit button will cycle you to the next block from left to right... I can't for the life of me remember how to go from right to left... I could have sworn it did and I just can't remember how to!

1 plug in.
2 plugs out.
Simple.

;)

and in between you get all this

worlds-largest-pedal-board_3_L.jpg

Bakerman said:
Scott Peterson said:

Yes I have. I owned one. Not even close in routing capability. Pretty cool then? You betcha'. This thread isn't about 'then' though.

mortega76 said:
+1 on the double clicking on the bypass to reset parameters...
Here's a question about using this with the AMP block: do the different amp types have different default settings? What I find is I'm always lost for a baseline starting point when changing amp types in my patches. Lets say I'm using the Rectifier Orange type and I switch to a Vox -- my RO settings seem to stay making the Vox sound obviously awful. Could I just double tap the bypass to get sane defaults for that model?

Back
Top Bottom