Little Advice Before I Purchase a Soundcard

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hi all

I am routing an external effect into Studio One and have set up the following patch.

16331220563746880436197084694710.jpg

Ignore the looper, that's just for testing, and ignore the PanTrm I was playing with effects to Sum the channels....anyway.

How the patch works is IN2 is my microphone and that is routed directly to OUT1. This is then recorded in Studio One completely unaffected...no problem.

IN2 routes to OUT4, through my external compressor and eq then back into IN4 and then out of OUT2. This chain is used for direct monitoring of vocals.

This works with only one issue, the direct monitoring is only coming out of the Left speaker. I have tried a mixer, mono compressor, but it still only comes out of the left speaker.

Am I missing something or does the Axe not have the ability to split the channels.

I don't mind buying a new soundcard to be fair, but if the Axe can do it, then I can save a few pound.

Cheers in advance.

Mike

Ah sorted it, just needed a break to write my message. Summed INPUT and OUTPUT4 on the Axe fx itself, now I have a mono signal....superb.

If you plugged into only the Left jack of Input 4, that would make sense, as it is a stereo input.

If so, put a Volume block just after the Input 4 block and set the 'Input Select' parameter to 'Left Only'.

Ah sorted it, just needed a break to write my message. Summed INPUT and OUTPUT4 on the Axe fx itself, now I have a mono signal....superb.
I was just a bit too late.. LOL.. My approach is still valid, and is done in the preset, instead of globally. Both ways have their pros and cons.

Moke

Your idea may very well be better as it will free up in and out 4....one second.

Mike

Moke

That worked a treat.

Here is my patch:

16331247475296827569613009907782.jpg

This allows me to record dry but hear wet. After j finish I have to change the preset to this:

16331248411368793974728728120356.jpg

This then allows me to reamp my vocals back through the Axe and through the external fx.

I wish we could have multiple input and output blocks for the same channel with only one active, this could then be controlled by scenes but hey, it bloody works.

I love the effects for vocals in the Axe, there is just something about outboard compressors and EQ that adds a bit of magic.

Cheers for the help, I got there on my own, but you refined the process.

If you set USB Output 7,8 Source to Input 2 in the I/O menu, you can record the DI signal directly from Input 2 on USB Inputs 7 and 8 instead of routing it to the Out 1 block on the grid. Then you could leave Out 1 at the end and not have to change the preset.

Back
Top Bottom