Listening to Mob Rules

There is something wonderfully explosive about the guitar sounds. You feel it when Tony hits a big chord hard. The dynamics of metal from that era are completely absent it the 'produced to death' rock and metal of today.

Henry Rollins described Dio's voice on that album as "fucking righteous" and I don't think it can be put any better.

Falling off the Edge of the World and Sign of the Southern Cross blow my mind every time. Plus, there is something going on with some of the chord choices on Mob Rules and Heaven & Hell that you don't hear in the earlier Sabbath stuff. I dunno exactly what, but it stuck out like a sore thumb (in a good way) the first time I heard those albums.

I'm also a big Sabbath fan (all eras). Everyone always goes on about Heaven and Hell but Mob Rules sounds less stodgy to me. Sign of the Southern Cross and Falling off the Edge of the World are truly great. I also love Country Girl - has one of Tony's liveliest solos.

The one thing that is too funny about this vid is all the bald spots on the backs of so many heads :lol, Killer tune tune though reminds me of the Heavy Metal movie.

I've seen both Ozzy-era lineup and Dio-era lineup versions of Sabbath live and I have to say Dio-era on the Heaven&Hell tours blew the Ozzfest 99 version of Sabbath away.

Mind you, I loved seeing the classic incarnation of Sabbath, but Ozzy acted like he was just fulfilling a contractual obligation. Dio was a true showman and a total class act. I miss him.

The Devil You Know was a great swan song for his career. It's an amazing album.

Back in the eighties Tony Iommi was the main reason I bought Laney amps rather than Marshall. Hamer guitar and Ratt pedal with the Laney, good tones and times.

Preset any one...?

sod the preset, just bask in the metal glory!

took me right back to when i saw Dio and Sabbath at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then)...all leather jackets, patches on your denims and torn jeans...oh man...

RJD was pure class

Great album! Just out of high school and had seen that tour which of course snowballed into the Live Evil album. To this day it was still one of the best sounding shows I have been too. Had also seen Sabbath with Ian Gillian, and also with Ozzy when they were touring with Van Halen. Gillian was also a very good show: Black Sabbath doing “Smoke on the Water” was pretty dam cool! Gillian did a great job with the Ozzy/Dio material. But to me, Dio was always the special one!

John

Back
Top Bottom