Listening lounge ... New to me

GuitarDojo

Every evening I leave my day job and head to my Studio where I teach and record the guitar hero wannabees.
One of the great things I get to do is listen to all the stuff the kids and adults are listening to. Then have to turn around and tab and teach it.

What I am listening to now:
This week I was introduced to Slash's latest release "Slash". We are learning a couple of songs off this CD and I decided to get the rest of it downloaded to my Zune. I was a big fan of early GnR stuff and Velvet Revolver but this album really showcases Slash's ability to adapt to any singer or vice versa. Singing for Slash on this CD is Ozzy, Lemmy, Fergie, Myles Kennedy, Ian Ashtbury just to name half. "Beautiful Dangerous" is the song I am stuck on (feat. Fergie) . This lady can sing the rock n roll brothas! ;) Didnt think it would be my cup o tea much less Slash's but it has been a very catchy tune that I suddenly found myself humming the melody to throughout the day. Its on the brain loop and it wont go away.

Back to the teaching - Check out the rippin solos I got to teach in "Nothing to Say" (feat. Avenged Sevenfold) Very GnR!!!, and Starlight (feat. Myles kennedy). "Starlight" is a very catchy classy tasty bluesy grove ala Hendrix. (solo riff starts a 3:40)
Myles sings 2 on here and gels very well with Slash's style. Could he be the new singer?

Slash was actually touring with Myles (Maybe should say that the other way around) for a while on a club circuit if I remember correctly. Myles is probably one of my favorite voices in rock next to Christ Cornell. Dude has pipes and character which don't often happen in the same individual IMHO.

I read an article before the album was released and it definitely had my attention. Like so many things it fell by the wayside in the mind and forgot all about it. I'll be grabbing this one sometime soon as I have a hole in my musical heart i'm trying desperately to fill. Unsuccessful thus far.

Alterbridge will be touring Europe for the next couple of months, so I don't know when Myles will be back out with Slash... There's also a couple of AB shows in the Midwest for the end of the year. Hopefully a DETROIT show gets added.... I've seen them live twice and Myles is an amazing singer and a VERRRRRRRY good guitar player as well. If you have 8 minutes of your life to spend.... listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz_j7nVCJJ0

Myles and Tremonti alternate leads. Almost makes me want to stop playing guitar!!!

Back
Top Bottom