List Your Main Amps

I'm pretty predictable. Twin or Vibrato Verbs for clean. Plexis, JCM 800s, and Friedmans for crunch and high gain. Also the 5153s on occasion.

This amp is awesome. If i read the info correctly this is a model of a copy of the first amp mesa/boogie produced; a modded Fender Princeton. Which, by the way is what Santana used early on and if you crank that puppy, you can totally hear Santana in there.

It depends, if he is talking about USA Pre LD2 GRN, that is based on the Triaxis Preamp's LD2 Green mode which is based on a Mark IIC+. If he is talking about USA Pre Clean, that is based on the clean channel of a Mark I.

It depends, if he is talking about USA Pre LD2 GRN, that is based on the Triaxis Preamp's LD2 Green mode which is based on a Mark IIC+. If he is talking about USA Pre Clean, that is based on the clean channel of a Mark I.

Isn't the Mark I a hot rodded Princeton? Or was the Mark I a different thing? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Damn - almost 60 posts in no one has mentioned FAS Modern?!

Funny enough, around Q1-2, FAS Modern for me just had this delicious fatness and rich harmonic, pleasing distortion which was changed significantly in later versions of F/W ... for the worse unfortunately IMO and I could never recapture that sound.

However recently the Rectos were sooooo good and improved, that I made a dual recto patch over 5 scenes with variations of the red and yellow plus vintage and modern channels, of which one particular combo of two recto amps yielded that once awesome FAS Modern sound which I enjoyed previously.

Makes me think that the FAS Modern is somehow based on the rectifier circuitry/model. All that being said, it's not really an amp/sound I use regularly… except for super fun heavy noodling. :D

Face melting: 5153, Fryette D 60 M
Hard rock sounds: Plexi 50 watt treble
Clean to moderate drive: Morgan AC 20, Matchbox D-30, Vox AC 30 TB and Fender Princeton
Clean Practice: Roland Jazz 120, Car roamer, Tube Pre and Gibson Scout

I usually have my banks set as:
Clean, crunch, HG Rhythm, HG lead
My cleans are always a Mark IV style clean.
Crunch tones alternate between a Badger and AC30.
The main difference with each bank is the amp for the High Gain tones. I swap between 5153 Red, Hot Kitty, Rectifiers, USA lead and Friedman HBE V1

I play Adrian Smith's parts in my Iron Maiden tribute and he normally plays a Marshall JMP-1 live. The Axe's JMPre-1 model is the combination of the Marshall JMP-1 preamp and a general Marshall EL34 poweramp.

I just found his official JMP-1 settings the other day and the following sounds almost identical:

JMPre-1 OD1 BS
Drive: 10/Max
Bass: 10/Max
Mid: 6.66
Treble: 6.66
Presence: 10/Max
Depth: 0
Master: 2.00

CAB: I use a cab IR that I bought from RedWirez which matches the cab I own in real life. I think the stock 1960B T75 cab sounds pretty good with this amp, however.

these are awesome settings! any tips for that iron maiden clean tone?

Mid: 6.66
Treble: 6.66
2189800-funny-celebrity-pictures-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

these are awesome settings! any tips for that iron maiden clean tone?
Not really. My patch uses the Amp 2 block and I use the Brit JM45 with the drive dialed back. I like having a little dirt in my cleans when we play live. Sometimes I'll put a UniVibe in the front if I'm feeling fancy. I don't have any specific settings that I found online or anything; just adjusted to taste.

From the moment I powered up my Ultra many years ago, through to right now, Das Metall has been the amp that rocked my world! Paired with the regular Cali cab, it's just the sound. I like the FAS Modern too, although I think the Cali cab has more to do with the sound than the amp, as I can get roughly the same sound with quite a few other amps.

Clean-wise, the Jazz is good, but I end up using he USA Clean more often than not.

My mains right now are the Spawn Rod OD2-1 for dirt and Double Verb cleans. I've done a lot of experimentation with different amps for the dirty sounds, and I keep coming back to the Splawn model. Once you get the lows tamed on it, its unbelievably satisfying. Throw a TS808 in front of it and it really rips.

Back
Top Bottom