The ones I mainly end up using:

5F1 TWEED
BLANKNSHP LEEDS
DELUXE TWEED
GIBTONE SCOUT
SUPREMO TREM

Last edited:
I'm all Hook now baby..
except for one preset where I got a maz 38 to sound like queens of the stone age. That's just for one song. Otherwise, I be hookin.

I discovered the CarolAnn Triptik last year and I just can't get over how great the amp models are! I pretty much use them all the time now although I do have a pretty badass Mark IV patch for some of the super tight scooped thrash/death metal tones. I would love to play a Triptik in real life some day to see if the amp matches up to these models. I feel like I would probably buy the amp at that point since it sounds so great! I know CarolAnn's owner is friends with Cliff and made sure that the models are as close as they can get so I'm sure they are pretty accurate!

For my main heavy tones I usually just use the HBE v2, I have a couple of different setups w changes to the B,M,T for cleans its usually the Lonestar or Badger 30.

USA Pre Ld2 Yellow (Triaxis)
USA IIC+ Brt Deep (IIC+)
USA Lead Brt (Mark IV)
SLO 100 (I forgot the Axe's shortcut / name)

Cleans:
Fender Twin
Shiva clean

I don't really get a long much with the rest of them. I try them every once in a while.

Still haven't tried the new Carvin and the Hook yet.

Legato 100 [favourite]/Cali Leggy.
Wrecker Rocket.
Double Verb [Vibrato].
Euro Red.
Euro Uber.
AC15 TB.
Bandcommander.
59 Bassguy.

FAS Hotrod is my main amp since it was introduced and so easy to dial everything from brown sound to brutal djent stuff =)

I spend the most time on the Plexi 50 Hi. Cleans up and means up with vol knob. There is something magical about that model for me.

Also AC30TB, JCM800, BE, Shiver clean.

Still looking for a Fender model that blows my skirt up.

For awhile I have been loving Brit 800 with the Hi Power 4x12. Turning the bright switch off was the magic button to make it work. Makes a great crunch with drive on 9.

For my main lead lately I take the above and turn the input trim up to 5.

Plexi 1970 is another mainstay for me

A few days ago I went back to Plexi hi 50 (1 and 2) to work on gettIng a sound like Trapeze's second album Medusa.

For higher gain I have been using a tweak of the Preset A Day patches for the 6160 and Spawn.

I really want to explore the Hook more. Played around a little but haven't found cabs yet that work for me.

Just got in from rehearsing for the first time with v5 with all my presets redone over the last few days and that Hook 2A just knocks it out of the park for 70's crunch tones. We are doing Aqualung and I can absolutely nail that tone...wow that amp is crazy good. Used all five of my presets with the various amps and they all sounded and felt soooo good. Using the Citrus A30 Drty/Class A 30 TB with my single coil bass pickup is out of this world...bold, sweet, and inspiring. Love this little magic box.

I make a new preset just about everyday for the sole purpose of trying every amp out in a different "setting", however, my main amps would probably be:

Clean: Morgan AC-20, ODS-100 Clean, Suhr Badger 30

Edge of breakup: Fender 5f8 Tweed, 65 Fender Bassman, Suhr Badger 30

Mid Gain/Crunch: Friedman Small Box, Friedman BE, Marshall JS410, Hook

High Gain: Marshall JCM800, Friedman HBE, PVH 6160, Mesa Recto 2 Vintage

Solo: USA Lead, USA IIc+ (all variants), Legato 100, USA Pre Ld ylw 2

yep... and like, there are about 200 more that i love and use on a regular basis. The above are my "favorites" i guess.

I don't know what I would do without the axe fx. If i had one measly marshall half-stack, i'd surely go wanting.

p.s. For all of my favorite high gain and solo amps, I ALWAYS use the T808 Mod drive pedal. So it deserves an honorable mention as it is very much a part of my sound.

I just stumbled on the USA Preamp Green I think it's called. It's great.

This amp is awesome. If i read the info correctly this is a model of a copy of the first amp mesa/boogie produced; a modded Fender Princeton. Which, by the way is what Santana used early on and if you crank that puppy, you can totally hear Santana in there.

hook 123 A + ev 12l , 12s, ej1250, v 30
dumble + ev 12l , 12s

waited to Q 5.3 will go back over more amps...
time to free space...

For my funk band...the super reverb is the one for me.
For my fusion band....well....kinda everything else :)

I play Adrian Smith's parts in my Iron Maiden tribute and he normally plays a Marshall JMP-1 live. The Axe's JMPre-1 model is the combination of the Marshall JMP-1 preamp and a general Marshall EL34 poweramp.

I just found his official JMP-1 settings the other day and the following sounds almost identical:

JMPre-1 OD1 BS
Drive: 10/Max
Bass: 10/Max
Mid: 6.66
Treble: 6.66
Presence: 10/Max
Depth: 0
Master: 2.00

CAB: I use a cab IR that I bought from RedWirez which matches the cab I own in real life. I think the stock 1960B T75 cab sounds pretty good with this amp, however.

For quiet times I use a Deluxe Reverb and Tweed Champ combo. If I want to be loud it's a Mark V and JCM 900 combo.

Back
Top Bottom