5FA - clean, clean with an edge
Friedman small box - edge, crunch
Friedman BE - mid and high gain
Shiver lead - mid and high gain, creamy lead
Atomic high - high gain, lead
Plexi + Soldano for AC/DC stuff

Clean: AC15 TB
Dirty: Friedman Small Box
Hi gain: Brit800 Mod (although this can change from time to time depending on Firmware)

Clean: AC15 TB
Dirty: Friedman Small Box
Hi gain: Brit800 Mod (although this can change from time to time depending on Firmware)
Am I the only person who uses the Brit800 Mod. It is absolutely killer for 80's arena rock stuff.

Last edited:
I'm just starting to spin up for my Christmas shows. The set calls for mostly clean tones, with a few Rockin' style songs. I plan on simplifying things this year and am going to go fully electric, where typically I would use my acoustic for some songs and then dial in an era specific tone for others. This time I want to use 2 basic sounds for the whole show.

For the cleans I plan on using the 5F8 Tweed, although this year in rehearsals I will try seeing how the Hook 1A sits in the mix with the rest of the band. I'll typically have a scene that adds a crunch pedal and a scene with modulation (chorus or phase usually depending on the songs), and a scene with something like the Zen or Ruckus and a volume boost and ducked delay for leads. For the rock tones I'll just stick it on my trusty BE V2 preset and use my volume knob and pickup selector to dial in the crunch level and overall sound. I use the neck pickup with the volume dialed in to 'edge of breakup' territory with just a tiny bit of hair for a lot of the rhythm sections. For leads I just kick in to a scene that adds an OD, a ducked delay, and a 4 or 5 dB output volume boost.

5153 Red for my main dirt channel. Use a lot of others. But I use that one in almost all my high gain patches. Tight yet thick and meaty. Cuts without being shrill. Love it!

These are my current picks:

Cleans : Usa Clean, Vibrolux
Edge : Trainwreck, BadCat
Crunch : Plexi 50W Jump, Friedman BE V2. Triaxis yellow
High gain rhythm : PVH 6160
Solo : Tucana Lead

I used
Clean sound super verb ,USA pre clean
Dirty sound plexy 50/100.
Usa solo
Usa lead
Usa2c
Leggy
Jcm800
Soldano

Last edited:
(Global preset) Clean amp - Deluxe Verb Vib, also Shiver Clean
(Dist) High gain amp - Dizzy V4 Blue 4, also Friedman HBE V1 + T808 OD
(Lead) High gain amp - Euro Blue Modern + T808 Mod

Clean Bluesy - Vibra-King (Roy Buchanan) low gain + Tube Drv 3-knob for hotter tones.

Cleans - Showman & Twin
Edge of Breakup - Morgan & DC30 (love that one!)
Crunch - JTM & Plexis...all of 'em
Rock - JVM & BE100
Cock Rock - Friedman HBE & Atomica

Mark IIc+ using Cliff's suggested settings mostly untouched

Soldano SLO-100

Clean: can't remember

Acoustic & 12-string: Moke's awesome preset

Clean: USA Clean, Jazz 120
Edge of breakup: 5153 Green
Low/Mid/High Gain: 5153 Blue
High Gain: Mark IV/IIC+, Friedman HBE, Fryette D60

Really, the 5153 Blue channel is probably my all around fav. It has such a great feel/tone to it and you can go from edge of breakup to high gain and it all sounds great. The HBE I use for Plexi tones. The D60 is my new go to and starting to replace all of my Mark IV/IIC+ stuff, SO TIGHT AND THUMPY!

I wish we had the Crunch mode from the Mark V:25 modeled, because that would make its way onto this list as well.

Main sounds based on Diezel amps.

Very Clean - Double Verb Vib
Clean (bit of break up) - Dizzy V4 Blue 2
Crunch - Dizzy V4 SLVR 3
Hi Gain - Das Metall
Hi Gain Lead - Das Metall with boost on

Other Hi Gain;

Angle Severe
USA II C++

Into a matrix GT1000FX and Marshall 2x12

Interesting responses here...am always curious what people are using and what amps rise to the top of the food chain for them. Also cool to see how many, or how few, amps you guys are using and how you use them live-different presets, scenes, one amp with a drive, etc.

Have replaced my 1987X Jump for my main rock/overdrive/70's tone with the Hook 2A. One thing I found with the Hook 2A is it's pretty easy to swamp out and overwhelm the preamp contribution to tones if the Master Volume is set too high; I found ~3.5 to be a sweet spot. If it's too high the tone controls lose a lot of their effect.

I look forward to more responses...

Last edited:
Plexi 100W 1970 - easily the #1 for me
Dirty Shirley - been a favorite for a while
Matchless (Boutique 1) - lovely cleans IMO

I've been liking the Hook 1a as well with a BB in front.

These are my favorites and some of the easiest for me to dial in with multiple guitars:

Fryette D60
Friedman HBE V1
Capt Hook 3A
Capt Hook 2B
Plexi 100W Jump
Shiva Clean
Supertweed
Brit JM45

Favorite Cab Packs:

3 Sigma - 65 Blue 212
3 Sigma - UK Custom
3 Sigma - 1960A