List of Power Amps You Would Recommend to use with Axe Fx

chopshop777

Inspired
I already Have a Diezel herbert and an Engl Fireball, have run both of them through the Axe Fx and they sound fantastic, but I can not fall sleep at night until I try the power amp way going through the cabinets , so that being said would you kinldy vote for which power amps you would go for if you were gonna go that route , thanks for your time. here's the list

Mesa boogie = any one of them 290 , 50/50 , 20/20 , etc
Carvin = any of them
Peavey = 60 watt with 6L6 , classic 50/50

those are the 3 I would go for , the trusted ones I guess, any other ideas ?
Cheers
Ed

Re: List of Power Amps You Would Recommend to use with Axe F

VHT/Fryette 2/50/2 for tube or ART SLA-2 for solid state.

ENGL 840 50/50: Simply the best power amp i have tried for the axe.

I wont ever consider anything else right now...

I have tried: Mesa 2:90, Mesa 2:100, Marshall el34 50/50, Marshall 9200, Art sla-2.

And the winner is the mesa 2:100 in modern mode. I decided to try it after reading samhill's comment about the 2:100 sounding "more" than the 2:90. He was spot on. It is a very modern sound though and if you are looking for a dead on 50w marshall type sound look elsewhere.

I would even take the 2:90 and the 9200 over the art sla-2 though. Im a gigging guitarist fwiw and played most of these power amps at gigs as well as at home.

I hate my marshall el34 100/100 with the axe fx. Down right horrible. However running the AXE into the effect return on my ENGL thunder 50w head is pure bliss

When I used to run my Axe-FX through a power amp, I used the VHT Two/Fifty/Two...which was the best sounding power amp for guitar that I had ever played.

That was just a short time though since I switch to FRFR not long after adopting the black box.

With these tube poweramps are you guys still using poweramp sims and full range cabs with them or no sims and guitar speakers? Can't decide on which poweramp I need. I want to use the sims and I have 2 passive Atomic cabs.

iceman said:
With these tube poweramps are you guys still using poweramp sims and full range cabs with them or no sims and guitar speakers? Can't decide on which poweramp I need. I want to use the sims and I have 2 passive Atomic cabs.

This is a simple problem to fix, you ether want a tube or a solid state power amp.

In my mind it's ether a VHT or Fryette 2/50/2 or an ART SLA-2 ether way if your running into an FR cab... cab sims on. Ether of the amps mentioned are fairly uncolored and can run with the amp sims on (for the best results) though their is no set rule on how it should be done.

Mesa Stereo 2:100 in Modern mode and VHT 2502. I am primarily AtomicFR now but have loved and used those power amps in the past. (regretting selling the Mesa :cry: )

In the SS department the Rocktron Velocity 300 is getting some love on the forum. That's what I decided to get in the end to go with passive atomics. I ordered both today and am already running out of patience! ;)

tgunn said:
In the SS department the Rocktron Velocity 300 is getting some love on the forum. That's what I decided to get in the end to go with passive atomics. I ordered both today and am already running out of patience! ;)

Hey, I am reading up on all this stuff and was thinking of going the same route> I am really curious how the new rig sounds with the Rocktron 300 and the passive Atomics!

Been running my Axe with a Mesa 2:90 and it sounds very good so far.

Back
Top Bottom