[Implemented] List Display Zoom

They hear us, they've just been busy working on many other things. Now that Cygnus on AF3, then FM3, then the preset updates on both are over, they'll roll changes from the FM3 port back to AF3 and then I expect they'll roll back to working on the interface and documentation and take some well deserved deep-breaths.
Do you have indication from Fractal this is a priority? I've never seen them comment on it.

Thanks. I had forgotten about that comment. I wish it was more definitive, but awareness is better than nothing!
This is how I see it:

Fractal is a small company trying to out-perform much bigger competitors who have much deeper pockets, a David taking on multiple Goliaths basically. Revealing their cycles isn't to the company's benefit because other companies could try to release some marginal improvement just ahead of something from Fractal to steal the attention and dollars resulting from the dealer-chain advertising. They give hints and let us be surprised and delighted as improvements get dropped.

Cliff totally reworked drive modeling, then amp modeling followed by changes to cab modeling, reverb and then delay modeling, all within the last... six months? That's unheard of, and the changes are substantial improvements; Ares was very good already but Cygnus is incredible. At the same time they've been rolling out fixes and improvements to the editors and documentation when they have time. We're not going to get a timeline because schedules slip and then people whine and competitor's shills make chowderheaded videos decrying the woeful lack of progress.

We have the evidence of what Fractal's done and can trust them to keep doing it. Cliff plays his cards pretty close to his chest, but when he's excited about an improvement he'll drop a little comment and we get hints of what he later delivers on.

This is how I see it:

Fractal is a small company trying to out-perform much bigger competitors who have much deeper pockets, a David taking on multiple Goliaths basically. Revealing their cycles isn't to the company's benefit because other companies could try to release some marginal improvement just ahead of something from Fractal to steal the attention and dollars resulting from the dealer-chain advertising. They give hints and let us be surprised and delighted as improvements get dropped.

Cliff totally reworked drive modeling, then amp modeling followed by changes to cab modeling, reverb and then delay modeling, all within the last... six months? That's unheard of, and the changes are substantial improvements; Ares was very good already but Cygnus is incredible. At the same time they've been rolling out fixes and improvements to the editors and documentation when they have time. We're not going to get a timeline because schedules slip and then people whine and competitor's shills make chowderheaded videos decrying the woeful lack of progress.

We have the evidence of what Fractal's done and can trust them to keep doing it. Cliff plays his cards pretty close to his chest, but when he's excited about an improvement he'll drop a little comment and we get hints of what he later delivers on.
This.

This is how I see it:

As much as we all appreciate the efforts in making these boxes ever better sounding, historically I feel Fractal has done a lot less to make their devices better to use during their lifetimes, based on using the Axe-Fx Standard and 2 for close to a decade. The next generation has always been the one that improves this area. I really wish they put more efforts in UI now because there's a lot of low hanging fruit that any programmer could do that would make things better to use here and there. Let Cliff deal with the sound stuff and let others improve how the Fractal units are to use.

Improving the home view is a bigger task that I hope Fractal tackle because it would make it much better to use on the floor.

This is how I see it:

I love the product, service and commitment to improvement.
And here comes the "but."
In my opinion, the good folks at Fractal seemingly spend most of their time doing things like improving the sounds of the amps and effects. It's hard to quibble with the results, as they make the best product in the world. And it seems to be what they love doing the most. Their product, their right.
But I feel, after owning four of their products for years, that they give short shrift to the user experience. If there is any area that falls short of being world-class, this is it.
So there is no guarantee that they are going to get around to it. The AXE-FX III has been out for three years now. They very well may discover another amazing idea that makes the amps sound better next month, and so making the units more user-friendly gets pushed off into the future again.
So if I sound like a broken record, I apologize to everyone. But I will keep bringing it up because user improvements are far more important to me than improving an amp modeler that I think already sounds amazing. That 3 percent better delay or 4 percent drive block improvement doesn't mean much to me, or the audience, when I can't see what scene I'm on.
In the end, I hope that you are right, Greg.

Last edited:
I can’t stress enough the need for this feature. If you can’t see what scene or preset your on , it becomes very frustrating. This is my 4th fractal product and the sonic quality keeps getting better However the readability of the Fm-3 small fonts while standing on stage is an issue! Please Fractal make this user interface improvement a high priority ! This will make the FM-3 an amazing product for musicians

Surprised actually……..the launch of the FM9 would have been the ideal time to implement an upgraded display Layout…………
Cliff has stated he wasn't really part of the FM9 development team the last couple of months. That he was working on something else.
I know advanced amp and effects algorithms are more of his thing than display and usability improvements, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom