Liquid Foot Pro vs. MFC-101 ?

I am planning on getting an Ultra soon and these two seem to be the most attractive MIDI controller options for it. As I don't own the Axe-Fx yet and have never really used a MIDI board, I'm trying my best to at least imagine the kind of layout and controls I might want. At first glance, I see the MFC has fewer switches and doesn't seem to have room for labels without covering up the switch numbers. :( I usually like to have as much flexibility/power/control as I can get with my gear, hence why I'm getting an Axe-Fx Ultra, but ease of use is always a plus too. I'm not sure if I'll be controlling other MIDI gear in addition to the Axe, but it's quite possible.

So, can you all detail the differences between the two? Advantages one has over the other? I'd especially like to hear from those who have had personal experience with both. Also, is there any word on when the expansion boards for each will be released and what they will feature?

As a side note, I wish someone would design a controller with more information actively displayed... like a screen for each switch to tell you what its current function is, i.e. preset name for corresponding switches, specific effect name for corresponding IA switches, etc. Without more visual information, I feel like I could easily forget what each switch does within a given bank or preset. Also, I'd like to see the button numbers backlit like the All Access does. Isn't this an issue for you guys on a dimly-lit stage? I feel like I'd have trouble seeing which is which unless I had some gooseneck lamps on my board.

I have both, they are both great midi foot controllers. In my opinion the LFP has a bit of an advantage in the flexibility area. The MFC 101 has the advantage in the support area and has a feature that allows it to sync up with the Axe Fx in a way that easier than the LFP. The MFC is so easy to program, a midiot like myself feels comfortable programing it. As I have said, I have both and both are great, but if I had to choose one or the other, it would be the MFC that I would keep. If I could sell my LFP I would and get another MFC

ckofahl said:
I have both, they are both great midi foot controllers. In my opinion the LFP has a bit of an advantage in the flexibility area. The MFC 101 has the advantage in the support area and has a feature that allows it to sync up with the Axe Fx in a way that easier than the LFP. The MFC is so easy to program, a midiot like myself feels comfortable programing it. As I have said, I have both and both are great, but if I had to choose one or the other, it would be the MFC that I would keep. If I could sell my LFP I would and get another MFC

Can you explain how the LFP offers more flexibility? As far as the MFC-101 having better support, you mean just quicker e-mail response from Fractal? And easier syncing... is that more than just automatically loading preset/patch names? Why would you need to buy a second MFC? Can it function as an expansion?

I have two ultra's so that is why I would like to replace the LFP. The support for the LFP has been a bit spotty and some have had difficulty getting responses to their questions. The LFP has a bit deeper programing capability such as the ability to program the IA's to control different effects by how long you hold the switch down. The MFC's programing is not as developed as the LFP's. It might get there via firmware updates.

Action Jackson said:
...As a side note, I wish someone would design a controller with more information actively displayed... like a screen for each switch to tell you what its current function is, i.e. preset name for corresponding switches, specific effect name for corresponding IA switches, etc. Without more visual information, I feel like I could easily forget what each switch does within a given bank or preset. Also, I'd like to see the button numbers backlit like the All Access does. Isn't this an issue for you guys on a dimly-lit stage? I feel like I'd have trouble seeing which is which unless I had some gooseneck lamps on my board.

That idea are good and you´re not alone thinking it (have had the same thought myself), however I think it depends on several things why these controllers are never being made:

The costs would probably increase quite much if you add a screen for each switch.
It would get more fragile.
It would be VERY complex to program, unless you don´t have bi-directional communication (which i e MFC can do with Axe).

However there is no one-fits-all solution for bi-directional communication that works with ALL effect processors out there. So you would need to program every switch (and what information each display would show) for yourself, no problem if you just do it once. However you´ll probably change it a lot and/or do it all over again, since you want it on screens. Otherwise labels by the switches will work equally well... which is what most people here on this forum have done.

/Mike

Ive personally given up on getting the MFC101, the Australian Suppliers never respond to calls, fractal said all I can do is go through the Aussie distributor, who are useless. The Axe Ultra is a great unit, but the level of support / communication to fractals customers is pretty ordinary it has to be said. Very frustrating when there is zero communication telling all FA users what is going on with their products.
Anyhoo, LFP on the way for me. Unsure why fractal didnt want my money, but thats life :)

Back
Top Bottom