Liquid Foot Pro owners: A few questions if you don't mind

browlett

Experienced
If it's not to much trouble, I have a couple of questions for Liquid Foot Pro owners. I was wondering if you folks could answer a few questions for me. I've pretty much walked to the edge and am getting ready to jump out of the "Waiting for the Fractal MFC" airplane (my parachute is securely strapped on). Anyway, I'm almost sold on the Liquid Foot Pro. So, I was wondering...

1) Have any of you been dissatisfied with it enough to return it or wish that you had gone with a Gordius Little Giant or something else, instead? If so, why?

2) Is there only 1 way of ordering it - through the Liquid Foot website, by filling in those fields in the "purchase" section? If so, how does that whole thing work? ...How do they confirm for you that an order has gone through? How long did it take?

3) I remember reading somewhere that you can get it with blue lights or a blue display or something? What's the deal with that? (I assume that it would be more money. If so, how much more?)

4) Finally, were any of you relative MIDI novices? How easy or difficult was it for you to get it to do what you wanted? Do I need to have a bachelor's degree in MIDI programming to get this thing to work with an AXE FX Ultra?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback. :cool:

OK, let me start by saying the LF Pro is THE BEST midi controller I have ever used, hands down! It is capable of things I hadn't even considered, when I began looking. Have I ever regretted my purchase? Not even for a second! I looked at the FX1 and the LF had the Axe stuff in it and ready to program, very nice, and was a bit cheaper than the FX1. I pretty think either of these controllers would be a fine purchase.

Is it challenging to program?? Well, yes and no. I mean if you now nothing about midi, and this is your first move towards midi, you are going to have a learning curve. Also, the LF is capable of so very many different things, that you will need some time with it to decide how it works best for you. That's not because it's hard to program, it just means you will need to decide what you want it to do. I am not a beginner, yet not an expert by any means. The manual is really good and there are some videos on YouTube, showing various parts of programming. Ask questions on this forum and/or the LF forum, we are all glad to help becasue someone helped us too ;)

The blue screen is a $100 upgrade, I believe. As far as ordering, I can't remember how I did it...you can probably contact Jeff through the forum and get more clarity. He is really great to deal with and a great guy.

I hope this helps, go buy one, you won't be disappointed!! :mrgreen:

Later,
Tim

I had a LF Pro and have since switched to the LF Jr which fits by needs better. I didn't pay an upcharge for the blue screen on either of my controllers.

I agree completely with what GtarLover said. Both products exceeded my expectations and Jeff (who makes them and posts here) is very helpful. In fact, he has called me personally to walk me through some programming. Also, the tuner info is displayed on the LF!

I too owned a LFP and went to the JR as Mitch236. Not because of any problems with the LFP, but because I wanted something smaller and at the time I ordered the LFP there was no JR. Jeff is an awesome guy and very helpful though sometimes emails don't always reach him for some reason, so if you don't hear back from him in a couple days email again. You can't go wrong with either just depends on your needs! Good Luck!!

I only have the LF Jr, which fits my needs. So, I hope some of my reply of value in contrast to the LF Pro you're asking about:

1. From my LF Jr experience, no. I looked hard at many, MANY products. I chose the Liquid Foot. I LOVE every function and thing that I learn (it's deep). Live use = big win!

2. I ordered through the mysterious web site like everybody else. I didn't like the "field" business, but the response was fast. They should change the process to be more consistently responsive. My first-hand communications with the company were truly gold star A++++.

3. I got the blue character display -- wonderful visibility/cool and easy to see. 16 easy to view characters (yes, even in the bright outdoors)! Also, about the IA switch lights: from correspondence with Jeff, the blue IA light diodes are for the older units... the red IA LEDs on the bottom of the unit is associated with the latest generation 2 version. The blue character display is awesome, as are the multi-color IA LEDs.

4. From the perspective of midi knowledge, I am a lowly novice. I did however, after purchasing the Axe-FX, p/u a Rocktron midimate. That was good and easy for me to set up and use live. Then, after nearly 50 shows and many more rehearsals the midimate went tits up and died. I would have waited on the FA MFC101 but chose not to. Picked up the magnificent LF Jr -- it befuddled me for about 30 minutes... then, it suddenly made sense (after reading the manual and trial and error). The synch with the Axe-FX is simple and automatic if you follow the directions in the manual. I would buy it again... and maybe the LF Pro (however, the LF Jr. size and potency/depth/ease of use/etc are awesome). I have big feet and have no problems live doing the dance (in contrast, sometimes I did with the midimate as the mm buttons were easily fired -- the LF Jr's need a more deliberate firing which I'm grateful for).

In closing, apologize that I cannot cite LF Pro experience, but save for extra IAs, etc it's identical to the Jr in programming (according to the manual). Great product. If you're completely new to midi controllers (and I still feel I'm firmly in that category), given some patience, I'd say you'd nail the LF basics within an hour -- and have it close to mastered over a weekend. ymmv in that you're probably a quicker study than this former analog-lovin' musician. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

I have a Lf pro and getting ready to place an oder for a 2nd one. As far as the product, it absolutely does all I need it to do and then some. I was a complete midiot, and jeff was very patient with me and walked me through setting it up and called me personally to make sure it was right. I'm not sure what the hold up on Fractal's foot controller, but I can't imagine it being better than the LF. I could be wrong, but unless you're bent on having it from Fractal, what you need is already available and the kickker is Jeff is so committed to his product he'll make sure your set up and happy with it. That is something to consider.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

So, what will the fractal have over the Liquid Foot aside from the ability of the MFC to pull patch names out of the AXE FX? Would there be any other advantage, based (of course) on what we think we know about the unit that Cliff had been working on? If that's the only difference, I'm not sure what I'm even waiting for. Although, not having to program in all those existing and future patch names (and I use a TON of different patches) would be nice.

browlett said:
So, what will the fractal have over the Liquid Foot

Pure speculation on my part....but I'm imagining the Axe-Edit program also being used to configure the MFC. It would make sense, and be simpler than using 2 separate apps to manage what can quickly become a snake-pit of complexity/functionality.

GuitarDojo said:
browlett said:
ckofahl said:
The LF pulls the names of the patches from the Axe Fx.

Hold the phone! Is this TRUE???
Yes. Been like that for a while now.

Yes, since the release :) both the pro and the jr

It is called Auto-load.

It will grab the patch name and the effects states of the Axe-fx (you have to tell the LF which IA goes w/ which effect when you first program it though).
You then go to the auto load option pick which patch number on the Axe-fx you want to upload (you can do multiples to, if they are in sequence) and where to start loading (preset #) on the liquid foot. It will program the patch name in to those presets and the effects states of the effects that exist in that patch.

The auto-load feature is by far one of the coolest features. Any time I tweak a patch (add an effect etc), create a new one or even just rename it, it takes seconds to then update the LF to match. :cool:

Reddy Kilowatt said:
It's actually called Direct Control in the current manual, not Auto Load.

no, direct control is how you set autoload to work. Auto load is how you actually load it.

Thanks for the great insights here...could anyone speak about the LF Pro display? Do you have any trouble reading it while standing over it in a live setting...especially the tuner? Is it easy to read?

Wow... the screen on the Gordius pedal is huge, but it's kind of an odd design and you can't phantom power it with a 7pin midi cable...LAME

wezx said:
Thanks for the great insights here...could anyone speak about the LF Pro display? Do you have any trouble reading it while standing over it in a live setting...especially the tuner? Is it easy to read?

LF Pro is very easy to read standing, no problem at all. Tuner works very good!
Best foot-controller out there IMHO. Does everything you can image. It's so good (for me) that I also bought the Jr. as backup!

Back
Top Bottom