Liquid Foot or Gordius Little Giant outdoors?

I just saw the pics of the Gordius with the OLED outside. That looks very good - what about the current version?

I played in bright sunlight twice with my Gordius and I could hardly read the display, even when putting something in front to create some shade.

hmm...a little poking around and looking at an OLED device in sunlight isn't encouraging for the gordius. unless i'm mistaken, an LCD would be cheaper and they can be pretty readable in sunlight.

hippietim said:
hmm...a little poking around and looking at an OLED device in sunlight isn't encouraging for the gordius. unless i'm mistaken, an LCD would be cheaper and they can be pretty readable in sunlight.
A side by side test would be the only objective way to evaluate this. I will do so whenever I have the chance. It's obvious that I chose for OLED because of the superior display quality compared to LCD. I have a large number of unused LCDs in stock which I intended to use at first. Price of an OLED panel is about 4 times the price of an equivalent LCD.

Xavier

ossandust said:
hippietim said:
A side by side test would be the only objective way to evaluate this. I will do so whenever I have the chance. It's obvious that I chose for OLED because of the superior display quality compared to LCD. I have a large number of unused LCDs in stock which I intended to use at first. Price of an OLED panel is about 4 times the price of an equivalent LCD.

Xavier

Xavier, since we are both from Belgium and I have the LF pro, you could always drop by to a side by side test.

voes said:
ossandust said:
hippietim said:

Xavier

Xavier, since we are both from Belgium and I have the LF pro, you could always drop by to a side by side test.
My main goal is to compare OLED with LCD side by side, since I have no plans to move toward a character display with the LittleGiant. I will stick with the graphical display. I did the comparison some time ago, but I must say I did not specifically do the "direct sunlight" test, I was immediately blown away with the superior contrast and brightness of OLED under normal conditions. I know the commercial talk of the LCD manufacturers about transflective LCDs: they usually claim that direct sunlight is taking over the function of the backlight outdoors (using the "reflective" mode rather than the "transmissive" mode used in the dark with the backlight). But I have sincere doubts about the actual result. So this is what I'm going to test when I have a spare minute: transflective LCD mounted in the LG. If LCD does give better results in direct sunlight, I will simply provide 2 versions of our products, and leave the choice to the customer.

One thing that has to be said about the OLED in the Gordius is that it's far more flexible than an LCD.
It's great to be able to have a songlist and see which is the current song and the next song(s).
It displays preset names,IA-names,Tempo values,...
I don't see this happening with a LCD.
Anyhoo, I'm thinking about making some kind of cap that would block as much direct sunlight as possible.
What would be cool is if you could attach an monitor that could display not only what's on the oled display (song, preset title or whatever) but what each button does.
That would make your whole setup soooooo much more flexible.

Did an outdoor gig in super duper bright sunlight with my LF Jr (White on Blue display). Just awesome, no problem reading it at all!

Back
Top Bottom