Liquid Foot LF+ JR+ Where to Start?

AZG

Experienced
Looks like FAMC will be shipping me a new LF+ JR+ any day and I'm wondering where to start? I don't think my needs are that complex. I'm really wanting to get basic functionality like switching patches, scenes and controlling the looper up and running quickly. Anyone have any pointers on doing these things with the LF+? Is it possible to share and load someone else's LF+ setup using the desktop software?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

Go download the desktop editor and watch the videos that Jeff has made showing how to use it. It's really not difficult once you pick up on the basic editor layout and thought behind everything. Took me about an hour to learn and program mine to my liking after doing those things.

I'm the proud owner of a LF+ Pro+. Love it!

Yes you can share setups. PM me if you're interested

Some tips I used to get it organized:

• use one color for presets (purple dimmed/purple bright).
  • make the ON color bright (looks obvious for me, but default ON is dimmed)
  • set all the regular IA's to one neutral color OFF (white dimmed) and one color ON (green bright)
  • make special commands (bank up/down - page) in a different color (yellow)
  • make a priority list of which FX you want to reach first (drive, delay) and set them on the first function.
    things that are not used often (tuner, looper page) you can place them on the second function
  • set the 2nd hold time to 0.5 sec. I found this more usefull than the default 1 sec.
  • I found 2 presets on one button (first and second function) confusing, so I only use one function for presets
  • The LF has a lot of IA commands but these 3 are the best IMO:

Group ID: only one IA can be ON in a group.
    example: I have 5 different drives to boost my 'AMP'. if I use one, all the others will go to off.
    (you can find this function in the IA-slot on the left side, GROUP ID, you can set 7 groups. )
    (make sure that in the global1 settings 'grouped ID config' is set to 'break, then make' which is not the default but IMO the better choice)

IA ON/OFF TRIG: you can give a command to trigger another IA-slot.
    example: I have a SOLO IA which triggers ON my +3dB boost IA, my delay IA and my first drive IA.
    (this command is in the IA-slot ON command programming function (and bypass off also of course)

MOD EXP CC#: with this command you can change the function of your pedal. I only use one FV-500 pedal which is default WAH. but I have different IA's which will change the pedal into Volume, delay mix, trem speed
    (this command is in the IA-slot ON command programming function (and bypass off also of course)
  • Last: take pen and paper and make some sketches of your thoughts before you begin programming. it saves you a lot of time.

Good luck!

Go download the desktop editor and watch the videos that Jeff has made showing how to use it. It's really not difficult once you pick up on the basic editor layout and thought behind everything. Took me about an hour to learn and program mine to my liking after doing those things.

Is it possible to save, share and load basic Axe configurations with the LF+ stuff?

Edit: Doh! Voes answered this question while I was typing.

Is it possible to save, share and load basic Axe configurations with the LF+ stuff?

You can do that theoretically but I won't be very usefull. Things like preset names, CC's, external controllers differ from user to user.

• set all the regular IA's to one neutral color OFF (white dimmed) and one color ON (green bright)
  • make a priority list of which FX you want to reach first (drive, delay) and set them on the first function.
    things that are not used often (tuner, looper page) you can place them on the second function
  • set the 2nd hold time to 0.5 sec. I found this more usefull than the default 1 sec.
  • I found 2 presets on one button (first and second function) confusing, so I only use one function for presets

example: I have 5 different drives to boost my 'AMP'. if I use one, all the others will go to off.
    (you can find this function in the IA-slot on the left side, GROUP ID, you can set 7 groups. )
    (make sure that in the global1 settings 'grouped ID config' is set to 'break, then make' which is not the default but IMO the better choice)

example: I have a SOLO IA which triggers ON my +3dB boost IA, my delay IA and my first drive IA.

MOD EXP CC#: with this command you can change the function of your pedal. I only use one FV-500 pedal which is default WAH. but I have different IA's which will change the pedal into Volume, delay mix, trem speed
  • Last: take pen and paper and make some sketches of your thoughts before you begin programming. it saves you a lot of time.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

Do you use scenes or the looper? If so how do you have them working?

You can do that theoretically but I won't be very usefull. Things like preset names, CC's, external controllers differ from user to user.

I guess I was hoping that it would be possible to get a basic template, and maybe the matching preset, with all the basics working (presets, scenes, some effects, looper, etc) as a starting point to start grasping the possibilities and to build off of.

Thanks for the info!

Do you use scenes or the looper? If so how do you have them working?

I don't use scenes. I have a second page, which is the same as my default page with the difference that the top row has the looper commands. I use red dimmed/bright for the looper commands to see the difference between the pages

So the LF+ Pro+ exists!! I'm on waiting list since first hours they finally announced it. It was in past century I guess... But seeing that someone got one, gives me hope back ;). Lucky you Voes!

Hi Voes,
I like the tip on the IA ON/OFF TRIG setup for soloing.....thanks for sharing!

But Im confused, when I enable an IA slot to edit on the LF+, How do I tell it to turn on the other IAs (drive, db boost, and delay, etc, etc)

Good luck!

1. Take your time. Do not become frustrated and send it back. It took my brain 3 weeks before the lightbulb clicked on of how to use the product the right way.
2. The best advice is to write down a list of every effect you would want to control, in order of importance, for each piece of MIDI gear you have. Most of your IA slots will be simple on/off commands for effects within a device, such as turning a delay on/off, etc. Write it all down first before your pedal arrives. Get the MIDI implementation chart for each piece of gear and write down the CC message that accesses that effect that you said you wanted to turn on/off. Please note, the LF product has an Auto-Wizard for the Axe FX II that programs about 50 IA slots automatically. However, it may exclude things you need and include several you do not need. My advice is make IA slots 1 thru 8 correspond to scenes 1 thru 8 on the Axe FX because you want the scenes to change first, and then the effects to change after the new scene is recalled inside a preset. When you program the LF with a bunch of IA slots, it starts at IA #1 and processes them in numerical order from 1 to 60 for that preset.
3. You have ordered an 8 button effect pedal. Without knowing how you tend to use it to perform, namely, if you are in a structured band with a structured set list, or if you are in a "jam band" and you just want a good amp sound and be able to engage/disengage effects in a stomp-box mentality, I wouldn't be able to advise you on whether to use Instant access buttons, or Liquid Foot Presets. But because the AXE FX II can do scenes, I'm inclined with using scenes Instant access's or Liquid Presets on your pedalboard. Again, the box is soooooo customizable, it can be a little overwhelming unless you write everything out ahead of time, and you know the answers to the questions in this paragraph. I play in a band with a rigid set list, and the songs are played to a click track. Therefore my gear patches are tempo specific. I run my Liquid Foot +12 in set list mode. I have a set list comprised of songs, and each song contains Liquid Foot presets. I can remain inside a song and cycle through it's presets (such as verse, chorus, bridge, solo, outtro) and then advance to the next song in the set list and then park myself inside that song, where I have the presets specific to that song only.

FWIW I use mine pretty simply. Two pages. I LOVE how small it is and that it fits, with a volume pedal, in my rack.

The first page is set up with program changes on the bottom row and the top row for individual effect IAs: drive, delay, chorus, etc.

The second page is similar: program changes on the bottom and scene change IAs on the top.

Since there are only 8 switches on the JR+, I use the second function feature heavily. Every button in both scenes uses the second function for something. For example in scene 1, where I use individual effect IAs, one switch has drive on/off as function on and compressor on/off as the second function. Another uses chorus on/off as the first and tremolo on/off as the second. I also have a few "Special Effect" IAs that lump several effects into one: I use these for the rare/strange effects that are used infrequently. In the axe-II, I set them to all use the same CC.

The program change switches typically switch from AMP X to AMP Y for me. I usually organize my axe-fx patches around amp types, so that amp Y is a dirtier version of AMP X.

I also use the step function heavily. Again, with the reduced pedalboard size and switch numbers, it's really useful for a single pedal to be able to cycle through many different triggers. I use steps for cycling thorough scenes 1-3, cycling through scenes 4-6 and a few other things. It's a great convenience and a space saver.

I also have an external switch going into the ext input 4 for tap tempo, ext 2/3 for expression and switch (a la traditional wah pedal), and ext 1 for volume.

I use steps for cycling thorough scenes 1-3, cycling through scenes 4-6 and a few other things. It's a great convenience and a space saver.

I have tried to get this working for an IA-slot with no luck. I have it working on a Preset basis, but I would prefer to do it as an IA switch so that it's preset independent.

If you are using the Liquid Foot editor, could you post a screen capture of your programming steps to get this working? Thanks.

I have a barely used LF+ JR+ on the way. Very useful and helpful information posted here. Big thanks to the OP's and contributors. :)

I would go on the FAMC website forum, in there you will find this topic somewhere in the axe fx section I think. I am sure the info will get you up and running.
These pedals kick some serious ass once you figure it out.

I have tried to get this working for an IA-slot with no luck. I have it working on a Preset basis, but I would prefer to do it as an IA switch so that it's preset independent.

If you are using the Liquid Foot editor, could you post a screen capture of your programming steps to get this working? Thanks.

Hi Voes,
I like the tip on the IA ON/OFF TRIG setup for soloing.....thanks for sharing!

But Im confused, when I enable an IA slot to edit on the LF+, How do I tell it to turn on the other IAs (drive, db boost, and delay, etc, etc)

Say I want IA 6,8,25 ON and OFF for my solo

then I choose in the solo IA
ON Command Pogramming
IA ON Trig 6
IA ON Trig 8
IA ON Trig 25

BYPASS (OFF) Command Programming
IA OFF Trig 6
IA OFF Trig 8
IA OFF Trig 25

I would go on the FAMC website forum, in there you will find this topic somewhere in the axe fx section I think. I am sure the info will get you up and running.
These pedals kick some serious ass once you figure it out.

Been there and read all the relevant threads. The suggestions there don't work, or at least I can't get them to work. Like I said, I have the ability to change scenes as a series of step commands on a preset working, but can't seem to get the same commands to work on an IA-Slot. I'd much rather do it as an IA-Slot so that way I don't have to program it for every preset.

I guess I'll try FMAC Support....

New owner of LF Jr+ here and trying to get my way around the editor. I would like to use the bottom row buttons for scenes 1-4 and the top for IA's. Does anyone have a template they would share? Maybe seeing it would help somewhat-

My advice is make IA slots 1 thru 8 correspond to scenes 1 thru 8 on the Axe FX because you want the scenes to change first, and then the effects to change after the new scene is recalled inside a preset.

Sounds like you've got it down pat. I'm not seeing scenes in the LF editor IA drop downs. I see other Axe functions (Drive 1 Bypass, Amp X/Y...). Is there something that needs to be done in the Axe setup for the scenes to show up, or am I missing something else?

Last edited:

I would like to see how scenes are set up using the editor also. I have poked around on the FAMC forum and haven't found much about scene programming.

Back
Top Bottom