Linux support?

forototo0

Hello,

Just wondering whether FAS has any plans of supporting Linux. I mean Axe-Fx drivers for Linux + tools like Axe-Edit, FractalBot being installable in Linux.

Thanks in advance for any hints on this

FWIW, I just set up a little netbook with Ubuntu and installed the drivers and apps under Wine (using the info from the Wiki in the above link). Working great, but I'm not using it for recording, just control, backup, preset management.

RR

I'm a linux guy but what I do is run linux in a VM under MacOS. That way I can have a native environment for stuff like Axe-Edit/Ableton to run in, and have my beloved linux environment too. BTW, if you go that route, skip VirtualBox and go straight to VMWare - runs much more efficiently under MacOS (and Windoze for that matter).

Of course it would be great to have native Linux support, but as long as the software runs with wine, I'm fine with using it that way. Only CabLab 3 is something I cannot use. Or at least I think so...

There's just one hint I want to give:
To make e.g. Axe-Edit work completely, I have to run it this way
Code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe
So if you find issues when saving stuff like presets in Axe-Edit or IRs in CabLab 2 / 3 Lite or whatever, at least I have to put this WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d in front. With it, Axe-Edit, FractalBot and CabLab 2 / 3 Lite run without any issues.

Most important though is to install the driver package @quonsar linked to!

Very good experience with AXE FXII XL and Linux (latest Ubuntu).
Just install the drivers with the script and it works. It is seen as a regular soundcard by Linux.
I use Bitwig Studio DAW natively (ALSA/JACK) + Axe-Edit with wine.

@RafterRattler: Thanks for reporting. What version of Ubuntu do you use? Did you get to the prompt "Press [y] to accept the Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx Software License Agreement or press any other key to cancel."?

@RafterRattler: Thanks for reporting. What version of Ubuntu do you use? Did you get to the prompt "Press [y] to accept the Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx Software License Agreement or press any other key to cancel."?

Hi Volt -
When I run the 1.04 script, it shows me the first page of the agreement, with the license path highlighted at the bottom of the pate. If I press spacebar, the bottom row changes to the colon, and lets me spacebar through the agreement. When I get to the end, the bottom row says (END), and the only way out is to type 'q' to exit the editor. Then I see the Press [Y] dialog, but the script has already quit with an error message of:

axefx2setup.sh: 37: read: Illegal option -n
-e

Installation cancelled. Press any key...
axefx2setup.sh: 37: read: Illegal option -n

Then it dumps me back at the command prompt. For the record, I'm running Trusty LTS on an old netbook...

Hope this helps!
RR

Thanks RafterRattler!

The error message "read: Illegal option -n" indicates that the option is not supported by the shell. Are you using another shell than bash?

It doesn't matter what shell he uses, as long as the script includes a shebang (the first line in the script starting with #!) defining what shell to be actually used to run the script. My first thought was that the shebang might be #!/bin/sh, but bash-specific stuff to be included (bashism is the key word for this), but this doesn't seem to be the case here, right?

I'm using bash. Given that 1.03 worked fine, I'll probably just start by comparing the scripts when I get a few min. Since everything is working, is there anything in 1.04 that I need?

RR

No, there is no need to reinstall, if you already used V1.03. From the changelog:

Code:
V1.04 - 17.10.2015

Added check if the script is executed with root permissions.

Added check if the Linux kernel version is sufficient and also
added information what functionality will probably be achieved in case a kernel
older than version 3.10 has been found.

Added version information option "-v".

The core funtionality remained unchanged.

BTW, I just tested the script under Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit), running in a virtual machine. I had no errors starting the script from a terminal.

Wow - interesting. I am running 32 bit, but it seems odd that 1.03 works fine but 1.04 craps out. Ok...oh well, I do have it running, so no big deal I guess. Thanks for looking though!

RR

Yes, but I would like to know what's the reason. Could you try to run the 1.04 version like that
Code:
/bin/bash path/axefx2setup.sh

Also, what result has
Code:
/bin/bash --version

Back
Top Bottom