[Linux] Reaper

AlbertA

Fractal Fanatic
I've been running Reaper 64-bit through wine for a while now, using an ASIO-to-jack configuration and it works well enough for use but not optimal.

However there's now experimental builds of Reaper for Linux available from their front download page (no longer hidden away in the forums :)
https://www.reaper.fm/download.php#linux_download

It works great! It's come a long way (the builds from the beginning of the year were pretty rough).
I use it with JACK.

The neat thing is the latest Reaper builds can use linux native calls like mlockall which prevents its memory from being swapped at all and set /dev/cpu_dma_latency (which disables Intel's C states) to prevent latency spikes and can properly set the JACK thread priorities (which was an issue with the wine version, mapping the ASIO thread priority to a proper JACK linux thread priority).

Together with a Real-time kernel or a low-latency kernel (which is what I use) makes for a super low latency DAW without drops. Awesome.

Next step is familiarizing myself with LinVST so I can run Superior Drummer 3 :)

Last edited:
BTW, ToonTrack Product Manager installed just fine through wine (using 3.6 here). It was able to download and install and activate Superior Drummer 3 without issue.

Then using the LinVST bridge, Reaper for Linux can load the Superior Drummer 3 VST and it all just seems to work.

Oh wow, that is in fact a very interesting news! Right now I use Ardour as DAW + Drumgizmo for drums. Both open source, which I fully support and love. BUT as much as I like the fact that Drumgizmo exists, the available libraries aren't as professional as I'd want them to be.

Have you worked with Ardour? How would you compare it with Reaper?

I think the last time I tried using Ardour was a couple of years ago but I didn't find it very intuitive and didn't click with the UI. That was mainly prompted me to get wine, wine-asio and Reaper working good on my linux system.

I haven't really given Ardour a fair chance - I'm definitely biased since I've been using Reaper since its very beginning (10 years or so now).

Back
Top Bottom