[Linux folk] Disappearing mouse cursor

In case it helps anybody else, I installed Wine on Linux Mint using the command found on this page:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/linux-mint-19-wine-4-available

Basically,
sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-installer

Right click on the Axe Edit installer and choose Open with Wine Windows Program Loader.

Then from Menu, go to Wine >> Configure Wine and another window with tabs will open up. Under Applications highlight "Axe Edit III.exe" and then click the Libraries tab. (If it doesn't exist, add it) From the Libraries tab, click the dropdown New override for library and choose dwrite. Once you add it, highlight it and click Edit. Set it to Disable and close out of everything.

At this point, Axe Edit should run (without mouse cursor) by double clicking the icon the installer placed on your desktop. If you get to that point, then you can mess around with the library and scripts mentioned above.

I hope this helps somebody.

Yes, just moments ago I got it working from the desktop. I just moved the script to the desktop and adjusted the paths and gave it a guitar icon. It still prompts me to "Display" the file or "Run In Terminal" and I just click Run In Terminal and it works. If there's a way to just get it to execute the script without prompting me, that would be cool, but at this point I'm just happy it works. Thanks again.
For it to just run, you'll have to create a *.desktop file. Look into /usr/share/applications for examples or find guides like https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en for it. It's quite easy to do, so I recommend taking the time for it.

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for this thread and the reddit one. I had the editor run on linux.
I made a simple Desktop icon after struggling a little. Here is how I did it:
1 - after compiling the library provided in this thread and copying it to /usr/local/lib (or wherever you want). I gave it the name: /usr/local/lib/libaxe-edit-cursor.so
2 - I wrote a simple wrapper script in /usr/local/bin/axeedit3 with the following content:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libaxe-edit-cursor.so wine /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit\ III/Axe-Edit\ III.exe
Of course, don't forget to change USER to your home directory and give the proper path to the library you compiled if you did not put it on /usr/local/bin
change the permission, so this file can be executed:
Code:
chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/axeedit3

3 - I created the desktop entry ~/.local/share/applications/Axe-Edit\ III-OK.desktop with the following content:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Axe-Edit III
Exec=axeedit3
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=/home/USER/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit III
Icon=0B9E_Axe-Edit III.0
StartupWMClass=axe-edit iii.exe

Don't forget to change USER to you account directory.

You should see it if you search axe on the application search (pressing the window button), and you can put it on your favorites (of course).

Last edited:
Really great advice, though Wine has come quite a bit further over the last few years. I recommend this approach instead, as it fixes the issue with the missing mouse cursor and doesn't require you to create a custom script or *.desktop file from scratch:

1. Install the "Axe-Edit III" software using Wine and verify you are experiencing cursor issues.
2. Search for and install the X11 development package for your distribution (e.g. libX11-devel in Fedora).
3. Create a libaxe-edit-cursor.c text file and paste the following source code into it:
C:
#include <X11/X.h>
int XDefineCursor(void* d, Window w, Cursor c) {
  return 0;
}

int XUndefineCursor(void *display, Window w) {
  return 0;
}

4. Run the following command from the directory containing the libaxe-edit-cursor.c file:
gcc -rdynamic -shared libaxe-edit-cursor.c -o libaxe-edit-cursor.so

5. Copy the new libaxe-edit-cursor.so file to /usr/lib64, or some other location (Please see the note below...)
6. Run the following command from your home folder to find the location of the Axe-Edit III.desktop file created by Wine:
find . -name "Axe-Edit III.desktop"

7. Open the Axe-Edit III.desktop file in your preferred text editor and edit the "Exec:" line to include the following:
Exec=env LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libaxe-edit-cursor.so" WINEPREFIX="/home/...

8. Log out and log back in to force your changes to the Axe-Edit III.desktop file to take effect.
9. Run "Axe-Edit III" from the application menu of your system.

Note: the LD_PRELOAD variable doesn't tolerate file paths with spaces—including "escaped" spaces—so be sure that you copy libaxe-edit-cursor.so to a directory path that doesn't include spaces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom