Wish Linux editor

dotpc

I would love to see a Linux compatible version of the Axe edit software. Searching around it seems that there are other people using Linux that would find this useful.

A lot of companies just create wrappers or bottles using WINE, and I am guessing this would be the easiest 'to-market' solution.

One company that does this kind of porting/wrapping is Feral interactive, but I bet there are some engineers at Fractal that are already familiar with Linux and could make this happen.

I cannot speak for the AX8 editor, but at least Axe-Edit runs perfectly through Wine! Since I'm sure that both softwares share most of the code I'd say AX8-Edit should run just as fine.

I'm not sure if this is still necessary, but I run Axe-Edit like this:
Code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe
Without this WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d we used to be unable to save presets (iirc). Give it a try!

Of course I'd love to see Fractal officially supporting Linux. But thanks to awesome forum members contributing code for Linux, Alsa etc and tools like afx-tools, there's no real need!

Yep, all Fractal tools run fine so far under WINE (FractalBot, Axe-Edit for Axe-Fx 2, Small utility for Axe-Fx 3, I'm sure Ax8 Edit runs fine too).

@axifist, Yes I still have to have that override.

I don't believe Fractal will ever officially support Linux. To small a user base to invest resources into.
Then again, Modartt is also a small company and they support Linux natively for PianoTeq- their piano modeling software - so they get my business because of that actually. They use the JUCE framework as well.

Last edited:
I bet it would be pretty easy to wrap a Crossover bottle of the Windows version and release that as the official 'Linux' version. That would require very few resources from Fractal, and would mean a ton of good faith to Linux users.

I'd love a Linux version of Axe-Edit. There are very few things left to keep me from switching from Windows to Linux full time. This would help.

I'd love a Linux version of Axe-Edit. There are very few things left to keep me from switching from Windows to Linux full time. This would help.
Works perfectly with Wine, so why don't you give it a try? Honestly, no real issues here. You need to install the firmware uploader, which you can find here. And it helps to execute the thing with this script
Code:
#!/bin/sh

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe

Back
Top Bottom