Linear Inscrease Over Time Modifier - for Control Knobs

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I know how to use the LFO and other modifiers to set or control many of the control knobs.......

is there a modifier that will give me linear change over time. By 'over time' I mean up say 1 minute.

EXAMPLE: I set this modifier to start at 'zero' and the zero point in time; and then I tell to increase by 1 to a value of 100 over say... 33 seconds..... or increase to the value I set over the time period that I set. Then I map this to some control knob and it sets/changes the value to increase it linearly over time (33 seconds in my example here). Once 33 seconds is reached, the parameter being controlled is at the max.

I MUST (read MUST) - be able to 'engage' this modifier with a footswith, or better yet engage it with an envelope filter/threshold ---- rather than --- have it engaged when the preset first loads up or when I select the preset; because I can select a preset and our lead singer spends 30 seconds introducing the song, telling a joke, and begging for tips, etc.

One TOP SECRET HIDDEN use......for that band, with that bass player that ALWAYS turns up his amp 2 songs into the set, and yells at YOU for turning yours up. Now you can go to a preset, and 'turn it up' without EVER touching a knob.

There are other uses - like the reverb hold that doesn't really hold, but in facts fades over time ;-( ...and much, much, more.

Go Linear; or go Home!!

Yes, it's called a slow and disciplined foot.
Come on……I paid some serious bucks for this thing; a linear modifier over time isn’t a silly or odd thing. I’m movin’ it to the wish list.

And like get real…..NOBODY, not even the best guitar player gradually presses a pedal over 60 seconds.

No need for a wish list item. You can achieve this with a gradual increase of many steps in the sequencer and the run, and pause features.

No need for a wish list item. You can achieve this with a gradual increase of many steps in the sequencer and the run, and pause features.

OK...... take TWENTY MINUTES to step by step make a linear sequence; c'mon Axev- MIE - make it ez for me. Besides.... the sequencer is soOOOooo complex.

This would take 5m or less in axe edit.

I post this not for the absurd "loud bass player" scenario but for those who might actually want to use it in a musical way. Technically, this can be used to create a perfectly smooth modifier transition of 5.33 minutes. I doubt you'd hear the steps though, if you increased this dramatically. For shorter times, use fewer steps or decrease damping in step 3.

The above is technically correct, but you set an awfully large window. I just did it in 19 seconds.

1. Build the sequence. Each step increases by about 3% (edit: see table below). Steps = 32. Rate and other settings don't matter. Just set the run switch to PAUSE.
2. Assign a modifier to the Step parameter. I used a momentary control switch.
3. Assign a modifier: I assigned the Sequencer to filter sweep and set attack and release damping to maximum levels.

Each tap of the step switch advances the parameter to its next value, with the rate of change determined by the attack damping value.

It took me longer to type this post than to set these settings.

Edit: Popping into Excel, I made this list of values for you to evenly space the sequencer

1 0.0%
2 3.2%
3 6.5%
4 9.7%
5 12.9%
6 16.1%
7 19.4%
8 22.6%
9 25.8%
10 29.0%
11 32.3%
12 35.5%
13 38.7%
14 41.9%
15 45.2%
16 48.4%
17 51.6%
18 54.8%
19 58.1%
20 61.3%
21 64.5%
22 67.7%
23 71.0%
24 74.2%
25 77.4%
26 80.6%
27 83.9%
28 87.1%
29 90.3%
30 93.6%
31 96.8%
32 100.0%

Last edited:
The problem with manually stepping through the sequencer steps is it's hard to know exactly where you are in the fade. If you go too far, it reverts back to the start. Not good if you're trying to tap a fade in, then all the sudden your level drops back down to zero.

One way around this is to use the "Stop" setting to make the sequencer reset back to the first value. That's useful if you want it to always end up at a particular value. So if you want to make sure you always end up at 100%, put the values above in reverse order going 100 down to zero, then in the modifier settings, reverse your "Start" and "End" values to re-reverse the action back to an upwards fade if needed. Then anytime you switch to "Stop" in the sequencer, it always goes back to 100%.

One potentially useful addition to the sequencer would be a Play Once option to trigger it to play through the full sequence and then stop on the last value instead of having to manually pause it or have it keep looping. You could then set your rate to 1 Hz for 1 second per step and get a single 32 second sweep through the values, using damping to smooth the transitions as needed. Adding lower rate settings would also allow for longer sweep times. As is 1 Hz is the lowest. Allowing down to 0.1 Hz would extend the total sweep time to a bit over 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Yes, of course that works too. Of all these, I think that @biggness' expression pedal (with long damping) is the one I'd want to use.

LooOOOOOooooK.................. If you're a math expert, or have time on your hands to figure a bunch of stuff out -- the sequencer will work. I'm Neither.

i paid A LOT of money for this Fx Processor................ I WANT E.Z. You already have this "pattern" established in your modifier screens. At a controller that lets you go from zero seconds to 'x' seconds and set the increase. Like all of the other controllers, there's all kinds of uses for it; and it'll keep me from totally switching over to the Neural DSP QC.

Your "infinite" hold won't hold......and I need a way to increase the volume over time (like 30 seconds or a minute or two minutes). This software is soOOOoooOOOoooo frustrating.

I'm just TIRED of pulling teeth to get requests. The Axe reminds of Photoshop - it can do about everything, if you spend HOURS and HOURS figuring everything out.

Churned in CBus

Getting pretty tired of your repeated "I paid a lot of money" argument.
Yes, you paid good money and got hardware and a lot of functionality in return, in reality worth many times the amount you paid.

Back
Top Bottom