Line6 POD Anniversary

Smeier_ch

Inspired
Hi all.

I assume many of us had at one time a Line6 POD in their arsenal. Just found out that my still working model one was released 1998, which means it's 20 years old!
Does anybody know what DSP it uses and how powerful it was/is compared to the AxeFx III??

:rolleyes:

I have many fond memories of my pod which I also got in 1998, it was the first device where I felt modeling was starting to go in the right direction.
The problem for me the devices that follow didn't measure up to the first pod IMO.
As for quality of the pods I think the devices that followed actually some of them took a step backwards, and I thought the original sounded better.

I got my first POD in about 1999, and that got me started down the modelling rabbit hole. (POD, POD XT Live, M-Audio Black Box, POD HD-500, AFX II Mk 2, AFX II XL+.) I've not used a real amp since 1999, despite (still) having a '60s Fender Deluxe, a Music Man 210 65-watt combo, and a Boogie .22 Studio combo.

I got into 'modelling' using the COSM guitar crap onboard my VS-880 recorder (1997). I liked it enough to play it direct through a little PA. It was an 'interesting' sound and I was bored with my ADA MP-1 / Intellifex rig that I had used live for 4 years.

I also got my POD in 1998 and got tons of recording use out of that thing. I loved it even though it had uncontrollable low frequencies, and had a latency of about a week. After that, I had the whole slew of XT modelling (bean, pro, Vetta2 head) and it was all disappointing compared to the $300 pod.

My AxeFx Ultra was the next modeller that I truly loved.

My modeling path took me to Line 6 as well. Had some kick ass tube amps - but then nowhere to play them. Enter modeling.

First was a Flextone (I’m snickering) then a Pod followed by an Pod XT. Actually got some very usable stuff from the XT.

For years now I have a home studio to play super loud amps - but the Fractal (II>XL>III) is always the “go to”.

My first foray into modeling was the Pod XT Pro. I my goal back then was probably too ambitious, to have it be the heart of a rack system, with lots of other goodies into a power amp into a stereo cab. But I couldn't get it to work right at the time and sold it. It also dismayed me that it didn't have any of the extra packs installed (what a scam, Line 6!!!). Later I got the XT Live, which comes with the FX junkie pack pre-installed and that was enough for me to use it at home. I recorded my home demos with it mostly. My final Line 6 modeler was and still is the HD 500. Which they advertized as being able to run 8 FX and amps in series. Except when you ran out of DSP power, which as I discovered pretty quickly happened very easily. The HD 500 was my poor man's attempt at the Axe FX, as I knew it existed at the time, but I just couldn't afford it. My attempt to replace my huge pedal board setup into two amps with the HD 500 and some pedals quickly petered out and soured me against modeling. Occasionally I would use my XT Live and my HD 500 for home recording, as they were easier to use then my huge analog setup. Although I think I used the HD 500 once live in a limited super short change over settinng. By that time I had learned to adapt to DSP limitations. A skill which served me well once I got my XL+. Which has a shitload more DSP power then the HD 500, but still not quite enough DSP for me. But I can live with it a lot better then with the HD 500. Until I finally migrate to the III.

I started in the amp sim world with the Rocktron Chameleon. Then the VG-8. I never liked the original POD myself. When the XT came along I gave it a whirl.

I think I literally owned every iteration of the Pod starting with the original. Never used them live, only for recording, and honestly they served me well for many years. Did they have their cons? Obviously. But for the purpose of being able to write, record, and be creative at all hours of the night and morning, They were just the ticket. I could have never done that with analog amps alone. At least at the time.
When I first learned of the Axe FX my first reaction was holy shit I can't spend that much! Then my wife got me the HD500X for a birthday or xmas gift one year, and I hated it. Returned it to sweet water within3 days. Then I immediately went online and ordered an AFXII. Been in heaven ever since! But i cannot dis the POD, it gave me many years of late night productivity and creativity that I was not able to get with other pieces of gear at the time.

I still use my POD Studio UX2 with POD Farm for recording quick ideas. My last POD pedal was the POD X3 Live.

I started off using a Korg AX30G for guitar and an AX30B for bass. They had really cool FX. They still sound decent today.

My first memories of guitar are sneaking into my Dad's study to play his GK2A/VG8 rig and make synth noises. He's still got it (and now has my old Axe-Ultra which he adores) so I might have to borrow it and A/B it with the III :p

I never went the POD route... I had the Johnson JM-150 modeling amp, which I believe beat the first Line 6 amp to market, and it worked very well.

I wasn't trying to sound like a particular amp so I couldn't say how well they mimicked other amps. I think I mostly used the Johnson amp models (like the FAS amps) rather than the "name brand" as I liked them better for me.

I really loved the flexibility and control I had with that thing. Also, it was ungodly loud! And heavy...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom