Line6 Helix LT

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by firepile, Apr 1, 2017.

1. pat6969

pat6969
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

It's there and I'm not an L6 lover, in fact I hated the POD. Helix loaded with my favourite IR's puts me in exactly the same spot I was with my AX8. It was fun to have 800 amps to sift through but I'd only use 2-3 so that is moot. The sound of the AX8 was great, no denying that, everything else was less than good, but that's just my opinion.

Jarick likes this.
  2. Sixstring

Sixstring
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Point and case!

3. Jarick

Jarick
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Thanks for your honesty.

I do like having all the amps...I couldn't find a high gain amp on the Helix I loved where the Friedman BE-100 gets me 95% of the way there on the AX8. I also really like the Morgan AC20 and Super Verb, and tonight I'm going to play around with the Marshall Jubilee as I've been listening to a lot of RHCP this week.

At the end of the day both companies seem to be doing extremely well. Fractal sells out their inventory of the AX8 frequently and they only do direct sales so there isn't a bunch sitting in the warehouse of a middle man. Line 6 has a far bigger reach and now rolling out the Helix LT and Native software I'm sure the hardware units are doing very well.

4. DropTheSun

DropTheSun
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Well didn't see this day coming, but it did. I switched from AX8 to Helix LT reasently. Could not resist the userinterface/price/DSP of the Helix.

The first day impressions with Helix were meh. But after a week I started to find my tone with the unit. My AX8 tracks, that i've recorded helped me for comparing the tones between the units and achieve the tones I am after.

Helix

AX8

For me, Helix works great and I really like the whole package with good connections, interface, tones and routing options.

Fractal Audio definitely is a head, with more accurate amp modeling and better reverbs. On the other hand, Helix amps act like real amps and the tones are very good and to me Drive pedals are better, than in fractal. And i have to mention the userinterface of Helix. You gotta try it to really get the idea, that how good it really is.

Bottom line, that made me to do the trade off was the price/features ratio. Floor unit, that can run great amount of effects (delays and reverbs incl.) and amps/cabs, two (three actually) instruments at the same time, has audio interface, wah/vol pedal, very flexible and intuitive userinterface and after all of that it sounds great.

So to me, both of these units are very good with some differences and both would inspire me to play more and more guitar with a smile on my face. This time Helix was my choise. Never gonna stop loving Fractal Audio stuff though.

Winther likes this.
  5. Winther

Winther
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

mostly Europe and North and South America.
    Just more evidence that Fractal needs a better UI.

Jarick and dr bonkers like this.
  6. DropTheSun

DropTheSun
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

That would be awesome, when they someday release their new product!

One thing I'm really waiting from Line6 is their Helix Native (Helix for mac/pc) . Also according to Line6, they have made some big changes to their Helix Architecture. So all Helix products (Helix Floor, Rack, LT and Native) will have the FW updates and software fixes the same day, when they are released. No extra coding needed between different products. Easier for them and faster for customers.

Also Helix reverbs are getting HX update in the near future. That I can't wait! Things have seem to really changed in Line6 from the past (XT/POD/HD ERA). Today the Customer service and product development for Helix Family is very similar, what Fractal Audio has always done.

Winther likes this.
  7. Jarick

Jarick
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Yes I also decided to try the Helix LT and ended up switching over for now. Really enjoyed the Fractal but decided to mix it up and having the improved interface and ability to run more amps and effects simultaneously. I do think Fractal amp modeling is still superior and most effects are higher quality.

DropTheSun likes this.
  8. ChristThePhone

ChristThePhone
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Would love to hear how Line6 is providing new features via firmware updates in the future. The way FAS is providing a constant flow of updates is why I chose the AX8.

9. bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

line 6 does not update Helix with anywhere near the frequency of FAS, but when they do, they are usually quite significant and the evolution of the unit's FW is obvious to those paying attention.

10. USMC_Trev

USMC_Trev
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

No, it really doesn't. I'm glad my Axe-FX II didn't cost $300 more just for a whiz-bang LCD screen. I already have a laptop and Axe-Edit is excellent. I'd rather have that and the thing that sounds better than a pretty screen.

11. Davy Pelckmans

Davy Pelckmans
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

The UI on the axe is just fine. It does a perfect job, and is not hard to use at all. And then there is axe edit, coyld not get easier than that.

12. Muad'zin

Muad'zin
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Personally I think the UI of the Axe is archaic. Don't get me wrong, its a classic UI as seen on countless of rack and multi FX units. But classic UI's are going the way of the dinosaurs. The new generation is used to smartphones and tablets and that's the kind of UI that they want.

13. DropTheSun

DropTheSun
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'm sure, that Fractal Audio is developing a new userinterface for Axe FX III. And when it is released, it will be awesome for sure.

Remember when the first iPhone was released? Line6 has managed to get exactly the same effect with Helix interface.

When we look at the pricetags here in EU. You can buy AX8 for 1599€ and HELIX Floor for 1169€ and HELIX LT for 839€. If we look at the hardware, line6 has more to offer, but the price is alot cheaper. If Fractal Audio would offer a big screen etc. features for the next floor model. Why should it cost more?

14. 2112

Expand Collapse
    Veteran

You're primarily paying for the software. For example there's 5-6 times more amp models in the Axe than the Helix, not to mention the accuracy of the amp models in the Axe.

Furthermore, Line 6 is owned by Yamaha, which would mean access to bigger cash flows, distributors and a host of other market factors which can keep the cost down. Fractal is owner operated and sells direct.

Personally I'd love a Helix or Headrush style UI for the Axe, but I spend 95% of my time dialling in tones in Axe-edit anyway.

DropTheSun likes this.
  15. Stagepig

Stagepig
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

I tried the Helix at a big store before ordering my Ax8. Before that I had the chance to try a Ax8 of a friend for a week but had the give it back to him after that :(
    After that I wanted to check the competition in modelling and since I was not a kemper guy I wanted to try an helix and eleven rack. After the eleven rack refused to even start I tried the helix and was done trying 5 minutes later. For me it was still sounding like a POD HD maybe a little better but not like the AX8 I had tried before that. Sure maybe loading user IR's could make it sound better but the ax8 allready sounds great without loading extra stuff into it. Sometimes it's the best thing to just use what the unit has to offer and stick with it.

A few weeks ago i met a guitarist at a concert who was praising and of course using his Helix live that day so I became quite interested again. When his band started the first thing happening was a power outage of the whole pa, helix included and after that I had the change to listen to the exact same sound I heard trying the helix at the guitar store. I was glad I choose the ax8 but the other guitarist seemed quite happy with his choice too. Taste is subjecitve