Line in versus Mic & Pad on Apollo Twin?

What are the thoughts on Line In versus Mic & Pad from the III to an Apollo Twin, benefits/differences?
Thanks in advance.

XLR input in conjunction with a Unison Plugin inserted in the first slot will emulate the changing input impedance of the preamp and hence it changes the response of the mic connected.(which doesn’t exist in your case). Yes, there will be a change in the frequency response if you use XLR connection instead of TRS. If you will hear it or not is a question. And with a device like Axe FX its not the usual way of connection and use of Unison Plugins.

I have 3 apollos in my studio. If you have the option i think best way is to connect the Axe Fx via S/Pdif. You avoid a stage of AD/DA conversion and keep an input/mic preamp free to use for other stuff if you need to.

This. I use a cheap SPDIF to Optical converter to run my Axe-Fx to my Apollo Twin. Plus you can run stereo with a single SPDIF cable!
I just started researching this and would appreciate a recommendation if you are willing to make one. I have the Apollo Twin Quad (TB2, not the newer TB3) and think this is the way to go to connect to my AXE III for what IO want to do in Logic.

Neither is better, it depends on what your workflow is. I tend to use SPDIF for what I need unless I'm reamping, in which case I use the Axe-Fx III's USB.
" I tend to use SPDIF for what I need unless ....."
For example, for video recordings?
Because the guitar sounds really good in the videos!

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3. Usually, what works best for me is going to the Scarlett via S/PDIF for monitoring only (via Hardware, means practically zero latency), that way I can mix my signal directly with the Focusrite Control software. In Logic I record and reamp via USB, setting the Axe Fx as an Aggregate Device in Mac. Works absolutely wonderful.

I think Focusrite's Gen 3 AD/DA converters and preamps are pretty good and undoubtedly UAD's are better at their game, but I can't find any benefit at all of using that extra stage vs going direct with the Axe's USB.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3. Usually, what works best for me is going to the Scarlett via S/PDIF for monitoring only (via Hardware, means practically zero latency), that way I can mix my signal directly with the Focusrite Control software. In Logic I record and reamp via USB, setting the Axe Fx as an Aggregate Device in Mac. Works absolutely wonderful.
This is exactly what I'm doing. My Scarlett Pro is acting as a mixer for me to my monitors only. It just happens to deal nicely with multiple digital signals: from my computer, from the SPDIF on my AFIII, etc.

I've been tempted to ditch it actually and just go to a simple, analog, desktop mixer.

i don't use this method now, but for a while i had the axe connected via spdif and xlr>trs. i had the spdif input muted in console, but i was recording it in logic. i used the analog ins for monitoring, so i could adjust the level via the knob on the front of the axe. best of both worlds - super clean digital recording, always at the same level and quick and easy adjustment of monitoring levels.

Analog vs spdif shouldn’t be a night and day difference. Any video I’ve ever done is analog out to various interfaces and they’ve all sounded the same and “good.” Just plug something in and make sound.

Analog vs spdif shouldn’t be a night and day difference. Any video I’ve ever done is analog out to various interfaces and they’ve all sounded the same and “good.” Just plug something in and make sound.

was there a question about analog vs digital in this thread? to my understanding all these posts and suggestions are bout the convenience of spdif especially if you have an interface like twin which has small amount of inputs and preamps.

The original post is about analog. Then it went to suggesting/discussing digital. Check it out above.
the original post is about the xlr vs trs input of apollo twin. than it moved to spdif cause of other reason but not sound comparison. check above.

the original post is about the xlr vs trs input of apollo twin. than it moved to spdif cause of other reason but not sound comparison. check above.
Cool. I see that. My comment is additional info if the OP is confused about sound quality, so I nipped it in the bud.

I will refrain from offering additional information like that in the future. Thank you for letting me know I have spoken out of turn. I always forget what I’m allowed to say here.

Cool. I see that. My comment is additional info if the OP is confused about sound quality, so I nipped it in the bud.

I will refrain from offering additional information like that in the future. Thank you for letting me know I have spoken out of turn. I always forget what I’m allowed to say here.

Chris, i don’t wanna bug people with personal or these kind of stuff but this is the way sometimes you react to other peoples responses or mine (been a while but it was similar situation just we changed positions).

If it came across too harsh, than i am sorry...no one here is to say anyone what they are allowed to write or not (ofcourse there are limits/ways/subjects dont belong here and which are clear to most of us).

I know you are trying to help...

and onside i also for a bit thought maybe you think it was about analog vs digital.

I can be affected by the address!
Unfortunately I do not speak English!
That's why I'm using google translator!
But!
I have an Ax-FX III that I want to use as much as possible.
That's why I read the forums!
Translation is very often incomprehensible!
That's why I'm making a mistake!
Sorry everyone!
Unfortunately I'm so ignorant!
If you are born again!
Only English is born!

Back
Top Bottom