Line 6's 2.6 firmware...

:roll Oh boy am I glad I left that company in the dust last year. They released their all new 2.6 firmware today! Glorious day! You know what it does? Allows you to buy amp packs for 50 dollars a piece. And it adds a global EQ. There was a day when I would've been ( and was ) excited to read news like that, and I would run right out and buy amp packs without blinking. Now I'm so spoiled by Fractal that I felt offended that a company would call that a firmware update. Thanks Fractal for treating your customers right and often going above and beyond.

I never had a POD or anything but I am eternally grateful as well. I've had the privilege to meet the Fractal team a few times and I've never seen a group of more dedicated individuals. In the not too distant future I believe we will see a lot more companies following their business model.

I had the XT and the 2.0. Great products for their time and an excellent value for me. L6 still have their niche they are just not the high end. Trashing them for rocking a business model that works for them doesn't make any sense and makes us seem like snobs. If it sucks so bad why even think about them (I know they are completely off my radar)? Why would you expect a $500 product to be developed and supported like a product nearly 5x its cost?

I earned good $ with Line 6 gear back in the day. Bought some amp packs too. Never let me down, although it was some broken promises and their ridiculous denial of fizz in the Pod XT series that drove me away. They've since been financially successful by moving away from leading edge technology.

Certainly no regrets with the Axe-FX, but of course any marketing or sales manager would tell Cliff to stop giving stuff away. Instead, bundle the updates and sell them in a different coloured box (even if the hardware's the same :)

Ho boy. On the one hand, yes people obsess overly about what gear they use, and what gear the next guy uses. And yes, if the sounds you need are in the line 6 gear, good for you, I'm happy for you (really), now go make music.

But to broadly imply that Axe users have been hoodwinked in to buying the piece and are subsequently talking it up to justify it to themselves (because if it wasn't worth the price for the reviewer, it isn't worth the price for anyone aparrently), and then act indignant when called on it? That's just trolling.

It's the typical "digital is shit, they all sound the same" mentality. Call it trolling or ignorance, if we all just ignore it and move on they won't have anyone to tease or bother anymore.

But to broadly imply that Axe users have been hoodwinked in to buying the piece

Finally got to spend time with my new axe today have had pod hd for a few years. Before ever hearing axe, I was never satisfied with the delay and (some) of the reverbs on the HD. Hall is good-ish and particle verb is just sick but room/tile never sounded good to me. Effects theres simply no comparison. AXE is lush and natural. Modulation and pitch/harmonic effects are simply better on the AXE, no explanation needed.

Tha amp models are nice on the HD, maybe you could have a debate vs axe on some of them( you could just happen to like one sound more), but overall the ones on the axe sound "obviously" better to me ears

off the top of my head-

-hi gain amps do NOT sound harsh on the axe even if you're playing three random note triads on the high e-b-g strings above the 12th fret(unless there's intonation issues).

-you can hear every note clearly with character of each string coming through while arperiating on the bottom three strings on a djent-ish preset the fuzz amount is sick but just right.

-you can finally record direct into the computer and it sounds real. the cabs on HD simply did not allow for it, it sounded fake. Doubt ill be using my TECH21powerengine for some time now.

and that's just from 2 hours of messing around.

again i love the pod HD 500 but to say 'hoodwinked' is just people being over-smart.

I had a pod Xt, which I thought was spectacular for the price and year. I got the Axe and yes, it was better. Around 8 months later I was travelling and I brought the pod for convenience, and... Holy crap did it sound horrible. So when upgrading, the increments seem small, but when downgrading they seemed an aweful lot bigger.

My trusty old Digitech 2101 still holds up pretty well though.

My pod xt live still gets me by in a pinch. My bassist in my AIC tribute band uses an X3 Live and we dialed in some gnarly dual amp bass sounds.

I keep my pod HD 500 x as a looper and a controller and is great to have around when buddies come by to jam. so talk down to me if you want but for 500.00 new it is a good tool to have around.

My trusty old Digitech 2101 still holds up pretty well though.
I missed mine for a long, LONG time, until I discovered Fractal and finally decided to get an AxeFX. Great unit for it's time, but can't hold a candle to my Axe, though I absolutely loved some of the effects chains I was able to put together, especially after I got the PPC210.

I still have some L6 gear and probably won't ever part with it. My Vetta II 2x12 with the 2.5 firmware update was simply ballz-out the best sounding amp I had for a while. My HD100 Bogner is the single most face melting amp I've ever played through. The HD147 I have packed away in a box...meh. I'll take a huge loss on that thing if I ever sell it.

If I wasn't blessed with a good job and an understanding wife, I'd probably still be using/buying L6 gear.

I think for the price you can't beat Line 6, but here is my beef with them. THeir customer service, I find it lacking, though what can you expect for cheaper gear? So I suppose the old adage you get what you pay for would be fitting, though the Equipment itself sounds good for the price point.

I keep my pod HD 500 x as a looper and a controller and is great to have around when buddies come by to jam. so talk down to me if you want but for 500.00 new it is a good tool to have around.

+1 - Mine has been great value for the money - I won't buy the new amp packs back but I use it as a quick grab and go modeller and it's +8 buttons and +1 pedal in addition to my MFC.

Remember: The Fractal model of providing many frequent improvements at no additional charge is exceptional. L6 is no different in this respect than a multitude of other gear sellers who don't and won't ever adopt the Fractal approach, so in fairness, I can't dis them for how they market the product. It just highlights to me what a great bubble we're in here compared to anything else out there.

Back
Top Bottom