Line 6 variax JTV US production

Personally I think they priced them selves out of the market, 3K for a guitar that sports tech that is good but not 3K good especially when you can buy the koren version at 1/2 the cost.

Personally I think they priced them selves out of the market, 3K for a guitar that sports tech that is good but not 3K good especially when you can buy the koren version at 1/2 the cost.
I never even saw one for less than $4k. To be really frank I bought one of the korean jtv59's and it's a fine guitar. I got it for about half price in mint condition which to me tells me that resale sucks. I'd hate to lose $2k on a US one. And I was watching a few US ones on e-Bay....they didn't move for over 6 months and I just bought the korean one. They're probably still listed.

EDIT: Yep, just checked, same exact ones that have been on there for almost a year now. $3999 is the lowest price.

The way that I look at it the variax stuff is neat. Tyler guitars have a great reputation. Most people looking to buy a boutique type guitar aren't going to be interested in the "neatness" of the variax as it does have it's limitations. It's just not a huge selling point in that price range IMHO.

Last edited:
I would be all over an aftermarket upgrade or tack on with other guitar companies. I really like the tech, especially as a live instrument, but I although I think my JTV 59 Korean model is a good guitar, I never want to play it for very long as it's nowhere near as playable as my Les Paul, Suhr, Strat.

I never even saw one for less than $4k. To be really frank I bought one of the korean jtv59's and it's a fine guitar. I got it for about half price in mint condition which to me tells me that resale sucks. I'd hate to lose $2k on a US one. And I was watching a few US ones on e-Bay....they didn't move for over 6 months and I just bought the korean one. They're probably still listed.

EDIT: Yep, just checked, same exact ones that have been on there for almost a year now. $3999 is the lowest price.

The way that I look at it the variax stuff is neat. Tyler guitars have a great reputation. Most people looking to buy a boutique type guitar aren't going to be interested in the "neatness" of the variax as it does have it's limitations. It's just not a huge selling point in that price range IMHO.

I didn't look at the actual price tag in the US models but I knew that they were up their price wise. 4K is utterly outrageous for that fiddle don't care who's name is on it. I just don't understand why they need to be so expensive. The cost of the tech can't be that much and the guitar seems to over inflated as well.

For the type of guitar that it is it seems to me it would be better if Line 6 found a US shop like Carvin or whatever where one could order the guitar the way they want it and have the tech installed in the 2-2.5K range.

Last edited:
Expect halt on imports also. Pushed back orders and cancelled orders on hardware. Possible redesign but doubt it.

That's really too bad. I have an import. It would be my primary guitar if it played better. I really like the modelling capabilities on it.

Hopefully, I can buy up a few cheap and experiment putting the electronics in a real guitar.

$4K is just stupid. I have a JTV 69 korean model and I paid $1950 for it. I don't think the tech is that great either. I'd kinda prefer just to have a really good normal guitar.

I have an older variax guitar and a variax bass. Both had some electronic problems within first 2 years. Both are unusable. Without the electronics they are just collecting dust.

Yeeee. I wouldn't test my luck again with a 4k guitar from line6.

Fishman really captured a great segment of the market with the Triple Play wireless. I think Line 6 could make a killing if they released a version like this that you could easily and quickly install/remove at will on a guitar of your choice. They could probably develop something with not only the Variax technology, but they could probably add the midi tech like Fishman. I would buy this without thinking twice about it. The ability to have those sounds/tunings at will, but on a guitar of my choice and the ability to move it around my various guitars would be awesome.

First variax comes out.. people cry about, man it would be killer in a better guitar, guitar is terrible, lots of people do transplants etc.... fast forward, they make a nice guitar with improved electronics and playability, and nobody buys it.

It would be much smarter to just sell the Variax electronics separatly. 300-400$ or something. It would sell much much more imho.

And they should do some more modern guitars and pickups, including singlecoils. Vintage is cool, but not usable for everything.

After playing around on the t-type a lot, i ordered a custom Tele. I put Bare Knukle Flat 50's in it.
I'm testing it for the first time tomorrow :D

First variax comes out.. people cry about, man it would be killer in a better guitar, guitar is terrible, lots of people do transplants etc.... fast forward, they make a nice guitar with improved electronics and playability, and nobody buys it.

To be fair the latest incarnation, (the koren modle) for a guitar that is just ok it's not what I would want to run out and spend money on unless it was burning a hole in my pocket. The US modle is just far to pricy for something that has no options when it comes to the guitar it's self even if it is made in the US which is cool but for 4K... I want to pick the kind of frets, fretboard radius, neck profile, color and wood type.

I give Line 6 kudos for bringing it to market as it is a great idea but everyone that has one complains about something that does or doesn't do. So to have a guitar that costs that much I want it to at least be how I want it to feel in my hands even if the tech doesn't perform the way it suposed to.

I still wish FAS would experiment in this market place just to see if they could do it better and make it so you don't have to cut up a guitar to install it.

Last edited:
To me it really comes down to the fact that it's still lacking something. Don't get me wrong, as someone who played with the old Roland VG8 stuff through a GK2a pickup it's immensely better in most areas, but the piezo pickup technology is and has always been a bit problematic in making the sounds translate convincingly. Palm muting is one that they did improve, but its still not quite there. I also think that they really dropped the ball on small things like not having the ability to wire the humbuckers in parallel. That's a personal wish and an oversight on their part that I can't understand at all.

I think that the Korean 59 is a great guitar, but once again I paid about half price for mine so if I was looking at it from a full price perspective I may have a different opinion. To be really honest I think that the passive pickups in it are fabulous. I'm a chronic pickup swapper and even had a few pairs of nice pickups laying around to swap in there, but I dig them so much that I don't want to pull them out. That doesn't happen a lot to me on any guitar and I don't think that it's ever happened on an import model at all.

I do need to do some work to the nut. The slots need to be brought down a bit, but that's a pretty common issue on many guitars today.

Do you think they are going to put next gen Variax tech in a Yamaha Pacifica? From a corporate standpoint, the synergy would make sense and probably offer more bang for the buck.

I have one. It's a KILLER guitar; modeling stuff not even part of the equation. Add that. it's a powerhouse of a guitar.

Just sayin'. Because I know firsthand. (*See below, that's not a cookie-cutter veneer.) :)

Since Yamaha took over line 6 all line 6 gear in Australia is on 1/2 price special except for wireless transmitters.
I think that Yamaha is deleting the whole line 6 line and incorporate the technology in new Yamaha gear

Back
Top Bottom