Line 6 trying again

Isn't this the same update they did to the floor Pod HD a couple of months ago?

I think it is. One of the drivers behind the HD500x was the previous DSP wasn't available apparently. So it seemed inevitable to me that once stocks of the HD Pro dwindled this would follow.

I would say the HD desktop X will come out next and I have seen some of those going now for a lower price new probably to clear stock.

Guitarded, as I said on my post, one is the pod hd and the other is a divided by 13. I didn't use any compression on any of the samples, just guitar straight to amp and a mic in front of it, and guitar straight to pod with only amp and cab emulation.

Texasheartrush, why do you need a video? I hear with my ears, not with my eyes, and you should too! Yes, the sample is short, my point was not to make a great demo of the pod (or the divided by 13, for that matter), but the difference between a "toy" and a great amp (best amp I've ever played, and I've played many good ones) should be obvious. My recording chain and my ability to capture sounds are the same I had when I made some recordings with my Fractal Ultra that still appear on the Fractal audio website (Fractal Audio Systems - Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx sound clips, axe-fx II, media, video, mp3, soundcloud) and have received some good comments from Cliff himself, among others.

If I thought Pod HD (or Fractal, or whatever emulator) sounds and feels as good as a real Divided by 13, I wouldn't have bought the real amp, I'm not so stupid, that was not my point. I was only trying to prove that a Pod HD is not a toy, is a valid tool, this is not a competition for me, more choices available for us, that can't be bad! Every product has its pros and its cons (real amps or Fractal are not exceptions), weight, price, size, feel, sound, versatility, design, software, learning curve, etc.... and we don't have to marry any of them, just choose whatever fits our needs at any given time.

Texasheartrush, why do you need a video? I hear with my ears, not with my eyes, and you should too! Yes, the sample is short, my point was not to make a great demo of the pod (or the divided by 13, for that matter), but the difference between a "toy" and a great amp (best amp I've ever played, and I've played many good ones) should be obvious. My recording chain and my ability to capture sounds are the same I had when I made some recordings with my Fractal Ultra that still appear on the Fractal audio website (Fractal Audio Systems - Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx sound clips, axe-fx II, media, video, mp3, soundcloud) and have received some good comments from Cliff himself, among others.

If I thought Pod HD (or Fractal, or whatever emulator) sounds and feels as good as a real Divided by 13, I wouldn't have bought the real amp, I'm not so stupid, that was not my point. I was only trying to prove that a Pod HD is not a toy, is a valid tool, this is not a competition for me, more choices available for us, that can't be bad! Every product has its pros and its cons (real amps or Fractal are not exceptions), weight, price, size, feel, sound, versatility, design, software, learning curve, etc.... and we don't have to marry any of them, just choose whatever fits our needs at any given time.

I think you mis-understood. I didn't say I couldn't hear the difference, I said it was a incomplete 'test'.

Why a video? Why not? You presented a 'test comparison' ...a challenge to demonstrate the POD was not a toy and asked for opinions on which was which. How do I know both aren't POD? How do I know both aren't amp? A video demo makes the test transparent. As of now I have to take your word for it. This is not personal and this has nothing to do with eyes or ears. If you are trying to demonstrate a point in favor of the POD, some type of documentation is useful. Even a photo is easy to do these days. As for the chain: Sometimes the absolute worst sounding recordings on forums or YT are real micd' amps because it is subject to the entire recording chain and the users ability or experience in capturing tones. So without documentation, nothing has relevance for me. I can say 'A" sounds better and it might be a POD. That does not mean the POD sounds better in genral, but rather it sounded better than the recording of the amp in that situation because the amp was not recorded well. How can I know?

From my perspective and experience, I can post any number of long clips (full songs even) between my recorded amps (using high-end converters, high-end mic pres and high-end mics) and using POD HD or Fractal. I can manipulate all of them to sound polished, muddy, bright, balance, etc.. I know because I have done professional recording sessions with all of those devices with great success. Who would know the difference and why should they?

Its all good. I like all of these devices, same as you. Cheers.

Here is an example:

Some of these guitars were done using my amp/pedal board and some using POD HD...and the slide guitar was the Fractal. How can anybody tell which is which? Even I cant now except I know what is what.
I was recording this song when (Hotplate) a forum regular here came over and brought his AXE for me to try after I posted here on the forum asking for a demo before I bought. We used this to demo the Fractal. After I bought the AXE I used this song to learn the AXE and came up with the slide part.

Cheers.

I think you mis-understood. I didn't say I couldn't hear the difference, I said it was a incomplete 'test'.

Why a video? Why not? You presented a 'test comparison' ...a challenge to demonstrate the POD was not a toy and asked for opinions on which was which. How do I know both aren't POD? How do I know both aren't amp? A video demo makes the test transparent. As of now I have to take your word for it. This is not personal and this has nothing to do with eyes or ears. If you are trying to demonstrate a point in favor of the POD, some type of documentation is useful. Even a photo is easy to do these days. As for the chain: Sometimes the absolute worst sounding recordings on forums or YT are real micd' amps because it is subject to the entire recording chain and the users ability or experience in capturing tones. So without documentation, nothing has relevance for me. I can say 'A" sounds better and it might be a POD. That does not mean the POD sounds better in genral, but rather it sounded better than the recording of the amp in that situation because the amp was not recorded well. How can I know?

From my perspective and experience, I can post any number of long clips (full songs even) between my recorded amps (using high-end converters, high-end mic pres and high-end mics) and using POD HD or Fractal. I can manipulate all of them to sound polished, muddy, bright, balance, etc.. I know because I have done professional recording sessions with all of those devices with great success. Who would know the difference and why should they?

Its all good. I like all of these devices, same as you. Cheers.

Sorry, Texasheartrush, if you don't trust my word, that's not my problem. I explained how I made the recordings, I didn't try to make them sound "polished" or "balanced", believe me, I can make both the Pod and the real amp sound much much better. My point was only to demonstrate that the pod is not a toy in my opinion. I thought it would be quite obvious the difference, anyway, it is for me, as I didn't even try to match the sound , it could have been much closer.
If I had made the recordings with a Fractal, everyone would have praised the Fractal, saying how close it was to the real amp (I can do that comparison too, it wouldn't be the first time). As I said before, these are all tools, we can use them all, and if you know how to use them, you can have a good (or bad) sound with either of them. That said, i think with Pod HD, Fractal Axe, and Divided by 13, you get what you pay for.

Sorry, Texasheartrush, if you don't trust my word, that's not my problem. I explained how I made the recordings...
Hey Xavi, its all good and again nothing personal. :encouragement: Its easy to hear a difference in the 15 sec. recordings. Sample 2 is small, compressed and flat (compared). The question will always be 'what difference am I hearing'? I am not saying you altered anything, just that its not possible to know anything without documentation.

As for 'trusting' someones word on an Internet forum who is trying to support or prove a position with a 15 second audio comparison.... your right, it poses a problem. It has an agenda (in this case to prove the POD was not a toy). This would not matter if it was the AXE or any piece of gear. (Alot of AXE demos sound poor due to users) Reference points, controls, transparency etc. are valid and needed when comparing gear to prove something. Its expected. Its the documentation and control that support the validity. All I am saying is that they help and that would only help you.

Cheers.

I guess the point is, that sat in mix whilst the band plays through Brown Eyed Girl (or whatever), then any such subtleties are going to be a long way lost on the crowd who are (hopefully) enjoying it :encouragement:

One of the best purchases I ever made was the Line 6 UX2 soundcard which comes w/ Pod Farm 2 stand alone and plugin. It may not sound that great compared to my Axe-Fx II but it is so easy to use, especially for reamping. It's USB powered, so I can throw it in my laptop bag along w/ headphones and record anywhere. It's really helped me capture my musical ideas quickly. It's great for recording vocals too bc you can add tons of FX to what you're hearing but have the flexibility to record just the dry track.

For $150 UX1 / $200 UX2 they are great products for the price range.

Back
Top Bottom