Line 6 trying again

i started the modeling thing with line6 and found that they have some great ideas with the range of products that they bring out. but unfortunately their quality control, reliability and customer support SUCK! especially here is Australia. long live fractal systems!!

Yes indeed, line6 strikes again;but i gess in their market segment under 1k dollars. Don't know price but i think about 800 dollars
But tone have to be in line with their hd product series, cannot be much improved

i started the modeling thing with line6 and found that they have some great ideas with the range of products that they bring out. but unfortunately their quality control, reliability and customer support SUCK! especially here is Australia. long live fractal systems!!

Long Live King Cliff....!!!

I too started with Line 6 (still love my Vetta that is collecting dust, ha ha) and used to insanely loyal to them. Line 6 makes some decent stuff that sounds good but I agree their Support is horrible. Absolute joke. Fractal is light years above for sure.

They're trying again to compete ...that's not going to happen
Overview | POD HD PRO X | Line 6

Line6 is not trying to compete with Fractal. If Line6 truly wanted to compete in the relatively tiny $2000 modeling marketplace they would be very hard to beat............Their highly successful business model keeps them mostly in the $300-$500 modeling range.

Line6 has always released a Pod Pro after their floorboards have been released, long before Fractal existed.
This is just business as usual for them & has nothing to do with trying to compete!

Last edited:
Line 6 used to have really excellent customer service. They were a small small group of guys, dedicated to doing something unique and innovative. I was working for Seymour Duncan in Santa Barbara when Line 6 launched their business down the road in Ventura. I had ALL of the Line 6 gear from the beginning and we all got great deal from them directly in the beginning. Lots of NAMM shows together, generous guys. Who knows what happened over the years. The POD exploded and suddenly every 16 year old and 46 year old weekend player was an expert on tone. LOL! :D Half kidding.

That said, they did so much good for the guitar industry in terms of innovation and pathfinding and they opened avenues that can never be shut again. Avenues that many of us are still walking through.
In all honesty can we say Fractal would be here if not for Line 6? I don't know myself, but it does seem as if their presence and technology provided valid reference points to expand from.

Who know if they will restore that entrepreneurial and innovative spirit? Almost seems like they 'kinda gave up' at one point?
Who knows? Anyway good chance to say I am looking for a POD HD desktop for my remote studio. Genuinely. If you have one used for sale! Cheers!

I've used their stuff in the past, and it's not bad considering what you pay. I must say though, that once you get used to working with the Axe II and then go back to a, say, HD500, well, you just can't believe how clumsy it can be to get where you need to go. About like the grammar in that last sentence. Moving on... there are times at church when our other guitar player - playing an HD500 - actually sounds pretty good, and I can almost forget it is a POD. Almost. Almost. It is never all the way there. So, to those who notice, nothing but the Axe Fx will do. How blessed we are to have THEE top notch tool.

I've used their stuff in the past, and it's not bad considering what you pay. I must say though, that once you get used to working with the Axe II and then go back to a, say, HD500, well, you just can't believe how clumsy it can be to get where you need to go. About like the grammar in that last sentence. Moving on... there are times at church when our other guitar player - playing an HD500 - actually sounds pretty good, and I can almost forget it is a POD. Almost. Almost. It is never all the way there. So, to those who notice, nothing but the Axe Fx will do. How blessed we are to have THEE top notch tool.

The POD HD led me to Fractal. When I re-entered the 'idea' of modeling again for my studio I went with the POD HD. It was genuinely frustrating to get the tones of my micd amps/pedal boards in a direct scenario with the POD HD. I bought an Ethos Overdrive to use instead but it was pretty limited in variety (although impressive direct). I eventually returned the POD and started looking into Kemper and Fractal. And here I am. I am grateful for my choice. Now listening back to those HD recordings I can see where I can make certain adjustments to get me closer for writing purposes.

Line6 is not trying to compete with Fractal. If Line6 truly wanted to compete in the relatively tiny $2000 modeling marketplace they would be very hard to beat............Their highly successful business model keeps them mostly in the $300-$500 modeling range.

Line6 has always released a Pod Pro after their floorboards have been released, long before Fractal existed.
This is just business as usual for them & has nothing to do with trying to compete!
You're right compete was the wrong word I changed the Post....

Last edited:
but do we play for the audience... or mostly the other musicians in the audience? sometimes I don't know! : )
unless of course there are actual good looking people on the prowl at the show and that clears it all up. its not even about the music at that point.

Yes indeed, line6 strikes again;but i gess in their market segment under 1k dollars. Don't know price but i think about 800 dollars
But tone have to be in line with their hd product series, cannot be much improved

Its 499, which sounds like a decent value.
If I was to work with that budget I might pull the trigger. The axe is great. Luv my axe but just remember that you can buy 5 of these for the price of an axe after shipping etc....

I never understood all the jokes about Line 6 on this fórum, I have direct experience of both Fractal and Line 6 products (and of course many "real" great amps), and as much as I like Fractal products, I think Pod HD sounds really good and does the job. It doesn't have as many possibilities as Fractal, and some of the effects (pitch, reverb) just can't be compared, but there are many prejudices here.

Here is a little game, I recorded a short loop, with no effects, one is pod HD500, Divided by 13 9/15 emulation, straight to PC, no pre or post processing of any kind; the other is my "real" Divided by 13 9/15, with a condenser mic, straight to PC, no pre or post processing either. There is an obvious difference to me, but nothing to laugh about, in fact I think they sound close enough for many applications, what do you think? It could be even closer, I just used exactly the same settings on both the real and the emulated amp, didn't try to match the sound by ear.

https://soundcloud.com/xavigarci29/sample-1
https://soundcloud.com/xavigarci29/sample-2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom