Line 6 Powercab 212 Plus

Well, I WAS about to drop on a Mission Gemini 2. Looks like I'm officially on hold until this is available. I have a feeling it might just be "the one."

Had no idea the Mission's were that high...seems a bit crazy for a power/amp cab - I get the DSP, etc...but with the AX8 or any other fractal gear the IR's are going to be far better than L6 DSP so what are you paying $1400 for? Its almost 2x their 1x12, economy of scale seems way off. Just my $0.02.

Yeah, the Gemini 2 with tax out the door is close to $1,700.00. What I can tell you is that the only two FRFR solutions that are as transparent as it gets are the Gemini Series and the Line 6 Powercab Series. If you want as little coloration as possible these two are it. Do you want more amp in the room sound and coloration but in a good way? Then you want Friedman ASC's or Matrix.

Mission has a cool control on back of theirs call Mpower. When it is set to one extreme you get absolutely flat response, zero coloration. As you rotate the knob the other way you bring in more of an amp in the room feel. So depending on the room you are in, you can dial it in to your hearts content. You can also get fanless power amps and internal dampening in their studio series but that puts you up at $2,000.00. The thing I don't like about them and the only thing is they are only 110 Class D Watts per side. Most gigs you would with the loudest of drummers run it around 7 on the volume, but I think that's too much and like to not take Class D past 5 or 6. It's just me. You might feel different. I like headroom. 500 watts at 250 a side is perfect. That's Friedman, Line 6 etc.

Line 6 you get Eminience Speakers. Mission ? Who the hell knows. I called them yesterday and they are waiting on their speakers. Probably China. Lol! So +1 to Line 6. Cabinet? Mission is Baltic Birch, Line 6 Poplar. The difference? Poplar as no knots in it and is lighter. Aside of that they are both equally as strong. Both have 87 degree dispersion which kills any phase issues. That's important. But on the Powercab you get 128 slots to store 128 IR's. Ahhhhhhhh but you have over 2,000 in the AxeFx III already. Great. But now you can store 128 more from the outside or your own AND if you want to cancel the Cab Block on the Fractal side you can. What if your Fractal takes a crap and you need those for your backup solution? Now you got 'em. Then the Powercab has Line 6's built in emulations of a Greenback, Vintage 30, Alnico Blue, Jenson etc and in the 112 they were really good. I'm sure you can find a use for them. +1 for Line 6 here. Weight? Mission is like 75 lbs, Line 6 47. Again +1 Line 6. The Powercab has built in tilt back legs. +1 Line 6. Mission has a 192khz Sound Card for Audio Interfacing to your DAW built in. +1 Mission.

But at the end of the day with Line 6 now besting Mission come to price point. Line 6 undercut Mission there. So at the end of the day I gotta give the nod to and try Line 6.

What I can tell you is that the only two FRFR solutions that are as transparent as it gets are the Gemini Series and the Line 6 Powercab Series. If you want as little coloration as possible these two are it. Do you want more amp in the room sound and coloration but in a good way? Then you want Friedman ASC's or Matrix.
I dunno where you're getting this nonsense :p

The Line 6 Powercab is not transparent. Their product designer confirmed that it's not an "FRFR," although their marketing department calls it that. It has a colored response by design.
The Mission Gemini is not a good design. IMHO I don't think they know what they're doing. And if you want the EmPower knob, just use your Axe-Fx III's low-pass filter.

And if you want the EmPower knob, just use your Axe-Fx III's low-pass filter.
I was actually at Mission Engineering headquarter for a Fractal gathering a number of years ago and they "previewed" the Gemini 2 for us (it was not yet available for purchase).

They explained that the EmPower control basically controls how much of the high frequency content is included. So you are exactly correct. ;)

As far as good design, I couldn't say. It does sound pretty good, though.

The one comment I do have on the design is the stupid Y-cable input for stereo mode.

Back
Top Bottom