Line 6 PowerCab 112

Roadrunner

Power User
Anyone had a chance to try these Line 6 PowerCab 112?
After not a big success I had with another FRFR manufacture, I’m thinking to dive again to the FRFR world, looking for something nice, not planning to spend too much $$$.
Thanks.

Do a search, there have been other discussions.

I think the consensus is that FRFR is not their strong suit... Rather that the included speaker models are decent.

I am interested in the Powercsb as well. The FRFR solutions I have tried (CLR, Xitone, RXF, etc) have sounded too sterile, too pristine, and artificial to me. Yes, I know, it’s a mic’d cab sound. Yes, I know it’s not going to sound like an open back combo amp, which is my preference.

Something that is aimed at guitarists, and is not true FRFR, like the Powercab, may work for me, or not... until I try one for myself there’s really no way to know. And that’s the bottom line. The only way to know what will work for you is to try it for yourself. Sooner or later I’ll come across a used Powercab at the right price and give it a spin.

I A/Bed my XiTone wedge and the Powercab. If the XiTone sounds sterile or artificial to you, the PC isn't going to be better. It works alright for the intended purpose at the price point but I found it weirdly lacking in the mids and a little dark overall.

Thanks for the input guys, you have saved me a trip to my L6 dealer which I know would have cost me as there is no chance in the World I'm entering this music shop and leave without spending some $$$ on something.
Im a guitar player, I always need "something"….

I A/Bed my XiTone wedge and the Powercab. If the XiTone sounds sterile or artificial to you, the PC isn't going to be better

Exactly what I was afraid off, I had a pair of XiTone, although the level of service and build quality was a perfect A, I didn’t like how it sounds and eventually got rid of it (with a huge lost!).
Wouldn't want to go through the same circle again with another FRFR though.

I purchased a pair of KRK 6" monitors lately, surprisingly (VERY) I like the sound that comes out of this pair, I found myself use them in my studio most of the time rather than my live setup which is a Matrix GT1000 + 2 x NL212.

I'm using the 'Plus' for some Radiohead, Nels Cline, MBV & '90s rock stuff, and it seems to do the job well. I use it in Flat mode thus far and haven't messed with the rest as of yet as I'm building all new presets around the new system.
I went with the Powercab as it is readily available, can easily do stereo via AES, is lightweight and is probably more product than my skill can merit. It's cost-effective too.

Have only used the PC a few times, and its got a major mid range bump. Great for palm muted type stuff ,but the jury is still out on the overall tone on this one...

How? it has a single element, isnt it?
Ah, yeah, I see the confusion.

If you go from the AXE to the Powercab, you can add an additional Powercab (for stereo) by just going from the AES out of one cab to the other. It has intelligent channel management and will send the Left signal to the first cab and the Right signal to the additional cab.
It makes for shorter cable runs (in my case) and keeps it all digital. I can then use the Analog Output 1 for the FOH and have a volume control on that send that does not disturb stage volume. If I set up my presets for AES/EBU out usage, then they are, by default, always at Unity Gain over AES/EBU

Have only used the PC a few times, and its got a major mid range bump. Great for palm muted type stuff ,but the jury is still out on the overall tone on this one...

Had the Powercab for a few days and I did notice the midrange bump too. It sounds like a very narrow range to me, almost like a cheap tweeter with nasty sound to it. But: I hear the midrange bump in all modes, also with the tweeter off and with the speaker sims. so it must be in the "woofer"/ guitar speaker. Once I heard it I couldn't unhear it...

Too bad really since it ticked all the boxes...

I have the Redsound Lg also and this one has not enough highs/ sparkle. Just started to use global EQ to compensate and that "works", but I always wonder if the sounds I program are not too far "off" to translate wel to other systems this way...

Last edited:
Had the Powercab for a few days and I did notice the midrange bump too. It sounds like a very narrow range to me, almost like a cheap tweeter with nasty sound to it. But: I hear the midrange bump in all modes, also with the tweeter off and with the speaker sims. so it must be in the "woofer"/ guitar speaker. Once I heard it I couldn't unhear it...

Too bad really since it ticked all the boxes...

I have the Redsound Lg also and this one has not enough highs/ sparkle. Just started to use global EQ to compensate and that "works", but I always wonder if the sounds I program are not too far "off" to translate wel to other systems this way...

I have to spend some time with it, but I dont mind the mid hump...

I am using one for smaller clubs and rehearsals. I use the IR's in my AX8 and leave the powercab in flat mode. I place it on floor tilted up.

Ah, yeah, I see the confusion.

If you go from the AXE to the Powercab, you can add an additional Powercab (for stereo) by just going from the AES out of one cab to the other. It has intelligent channel management and will send the Left signal to the first cab and the Right signal to the additional cab.
It makes for shorter cable runs (in my case) and keeps it all digital. I can then use the Analog Output 1 for the FOH and have a volume control on that send that does not disturb stage volume. If I set up my presets for AES/EBU out usage, then they are, by default, always at Unity Gain over AES/EBU

Hi Kent. I know this is an old thread but I'm giving it a shot anyways...

I have been using a PC+ with the AES out from the Axe III for over a year now and it has worked fine for me.

I just got a 2nd PC+ last week and just received a 2nd AES cable - so I hooked them up as is recommended for a stereo rig - i.e. 1st PC+ (left) from Axe III AES out to AES in on the PC+, then from the AES link out from that PC+ to the PC+ on the right.

1st thing I notice is that the volume on the cab that is linked out (in this case the right one) is significantly lower than the one connected directly to the Axe. I've reversed the config and observe the same thing the other way around or by swapping the cables.

So is this expected behaviour on the PC+?

2nd thing I notice is that while things seem fine and stereo when Out 1 panning is down the middle, if I try to pan 100% left or 100% right, I just get reduced levels on both sides instead of the expected behaviour (which I do get on headphones or via monitors plugged into the Analog Out 1).

Is there something I'm missing here? Have anyone ever tested the 'stereo' behaviour of the AES output on the Axe III?

Thx for any insight!

Cheers,
Joce

Back
Top Bottom