line 6 pod hd / axe fx ii shoot out OLA Englund

Really interesting, thanks for posting this.
I think the Line6 sounds pretty good. It could use a high-pass filter, but that's just my opinion. I think the Axe will sit better in a mix when a bass comes in, but overall one can get really good results from a lot of modelers these days!

yeah the line 6 is definitely lacking mids or that high end sizzle.... not really sure how to describe it. :D

The axe does sound a little better in this clip to me. Is it a $1500 difference..........I dont here. I had an HD 500. Thats why I bought the Axe. I think over all it is that much better.

1) the patch names are hilarious
2) Im somewhere in between, line 6 sounds line 6 ish, too compressed, no high end, Axe a bit trebly but better overall, probably could tame the high end a bit, but yeah more 3d, not squshed compressed, bassed and midranged out. great vid.

Both sound pretty good, but the Axe II has more balls.

I dig Ola's stuff though. He could play out of a Peavey Bandit and make it sound good.

eh
That Line6 sounds just like my old Pod Pro XT. I loved it back then. The Line 6 stuff just has that strange ..I don't know what you call it. Line 6 sound I guess. The Axe seems to have more uh meat to it. I know they said he used stock IR's so maybe the Line6 lights up with different IR's. I know the Axe does. And yes, it is a $1400+ difference, but well worth it in the long run. I doubt that Line6 will have half as many updates as we will get with the Axe II.

I think in this application, the POD held it's own quite well. I think a more telling style would be something played where picking and dynamics was a factor.
granted this is a youtube vid played on a set of small desktop speakers so... this is just me padding my post count i guess ;) !!

I think, it's possible to get a much better sound from the AXE. A great affect has the cab sim, don't know, what cabs was used here.

Seemed like scooped mids on the Line 6. Definitely prefer the Axe, and not a case of brand loyalty becuase I don't own anything from Fractal. I do however have a POD 2.0, in a box, somewhere. Not sure where I put it, it's been a while.

This was actually a decent shootout. Ola isn't one for brand loyalty and uses whatever gear he can get his hands on.

Seemed like scooped mids on the Line 6.

I thought the opposite. To me - on my computer monitors at work - most of the Axe tones had less lower mids, which I liked on most of the tones. One of them, New Red I think, was too thin on the Axe. Other than that I preferred the Axe tones. If they were cranked up a little maybe more about the dynamics would be revealed - can't do that now. I must say, I'm impressed with the HD. We've got one at church and the guy that plays it doesn't make it sound very good. Course, I don't make the Axe sound very good at times!

Ola usually uses his own IRs.
Here he uses the 4x12 German stock cab
I tried his presets and actually had to add a little presence for my taste. But I use a six strings tuned in Eb, he uses a 7 strings tuned to low A

Here he uses the 4x12 German stock cab
I tried his presets and actually had to add a little presence for my taste. But I use a six strings tuned in Eb, he uses a 7 strings tuned to low A

This is a central point: i had the HD500 and the cabs are totally crap. Exactly as the EQ's: none of the is usable in any way.
Obviously i'm not talking about feeling and overall presence in a band mix, which cannot be compared by listening to a (very well done) studio recording.
I paid my Hd500 500€ (and can be found at 400€ used), while i paid for my used Ultra 1250€.
Is there a 750-850 € difference?
Yes, absolutely.

that was cool, but I'm wondering how they would sound layered with each other. They each have their own sound. Well done

Was it double tracked? I hear distinct differences within each clip between left and right guitar channels. Mono makes for a better comparison, I think.

I would love to have heard it in mono, and with no indication of gear used initially. Though not my type of music, I preferred the POD on some, and the Axe on others. For me, the interesting thing is that though I love some POD sounds some people get with them playing, I could never get a POD to sound/feel good for me. The Axe-Fx II I can. I imagine for some, it may be the opposite, and for some, much like this video (kind of?) shows, both work. Wish I were in the camp of the latter... I love variety :D

Back
Top Bottom