mischi_90

I couldn't wait anymore and bought a Line 6 Pod Go (I am still on the waitlist for the FM3). But I am not very pleased with it. First of all I run out of DSP-power very fast (no chance to build a preset how I would like it) and the clean and slightly overdriven sounds are not what I expected.

Does anyone have a Line 6 Pod Go and can compare it to the FM3? Sound and DSP-power wise?

And something else: What are your experiences from changing from a real amp to amp modelers? I know it's not supposed to feel like a real amp in a room but man I am having a hard time to enjoy this sound at all. I am asking myself if modelers are really something for me.

Hmmm..... "Line 6 POD Go vs FM3"..... or maybe "Your grandma vs Muhammad Ali?"... :p

Seriously, though, those two pieces of gear play in different leagues.

You don't say what you're monitoring with. With earbuds or cheap speakers, you get a pocketful of compromises.

Don't sweat it. Fractal offers a 15-day trial period. Don't like it? Return it.

I don't have a Pod Go and only tried Helix Native years ago so I can't comment on its sound.

However, I can tell you that the speakers will make a huge difference in your perception of how it sounds and feels. What are you listening through? And at what volume?

Hmmm..... "Line 6 POD Go vs FM3"..... or maybe "Your grandma vs Muhammad Ali?"... :p

Seriously, though, those two pieces of gear play in different leagues.

You don't say what you're monitoring with. With earbuds or cheap speakers, you get a pocketful of compromises.

Don't sweat it. Fractal offers a 15-day trial period. Don't like it? Return it.

About the sound: I am not sure if they play in completly different leagues: Listen to this hear; it's FM3 vs Helix stomp. The Pod Go has the same sounds as the Helix Stomp.

Most of the time I play it through studio monitors: Presonur Eris e8. And sometimes through headphones.

I don't have a Pod Go and only tried Helix Native years ago so I can't comment on its sound.

However, I can tell you that the speakers will make a huge difference in your perception of how it sounds and feels. What are you listening through? And at what volume?

Most of the time I play it through studio monitors: Presonur Eris e8. And sometimes through headphones.

I guess at a normal volume like when I play through an amp.

The pod go has a fixed block chain and can be a bit restrictive if you need a lot of stuff in. The stomp might be a better and more flexible solution, especially with firmware 3.0 that comes out soon and will have 8 blocks available. As for sound quality, I d say they are on par. The stomp will offer an easier UI experience plus dual amps, while the FM3 will offer more options and deep editing. It s up to personal preferences in the end of the day.

About the sound: I am not sure if they play in completly different leagues: Listen to this hear; it's FM3 vs Helix stomp. The Pod Go has the same sounds as the Helix Stomp.

1) Did you find the tone in that video to be satisfactory?

2) Did you get similar results through your Pod?

If there wasn't a big difference in the quality of simulations of amplifiers and effects, people would rather not wait here for months, having access to Line 6 Helix in every major music store.
It's also hard not to hear the difference in the video.

1) Did you find the tone in that video to be satisfactory?

2) Did you get similar results through your Pod?

1) I liked it in some parts, not in all. But it shows that they can sound very similar.
2) Not yet :) but I am trying.

Like anything learned, dialing in an amp or a modeler is a skill. Take some time, start slow. Start with basic amp tone. No amount of effects will fix that. Don’t expect anything to be a magic bullet.... “if I just had the fm3 it would sound glorious“. I personally can make a pod xt sound good, lots of people have.

I couldn't wait anymore and bought a Line 6 Pod Go (I am still on the waitlist for the FM3). But I am not very pleased with it. First of all I run out of DSP-power very fast (no chance to build a preset how I would like it) and the clean and slightly overdriven sounds are not what I expected.

Does anyone have a Line 6 Pod Go and can compare it to the FM3? Sound and DSP-power wise?

And something else: What are your experiences from changing from a real amp to amp modelers? I know it's not supposed to feel like a real amp in a room but man I am having a hard time to enjoy this sound at all. I am asking myself if modelers are really something for me.
Comparing the FM3 with the Helix (or at the very least the HX Stomp) would be more appropriate. If I'm not mistaken, the Pod Go does not make use of the Helix technology, or at least not in the same way...

Comparing the FM3 with the Helix (or at the very least the HX Stomp) would be more appropriate. If I'm not mistaken, the Pod Go does not make use of the Helix technology, or at least not in the same way...
Same sounds for now; limited in signal chain and missing a couple of dsp heavy FX from the bigger units.

As far as "sounds the same" in a produced YT vid; well....duh :D There will be a difference in feel between units IRL. You can probably dial them in to sound relatively similar but it's up to you how many hoops you are willing to jump through to make that happen; no matter what two devices we are comparing.

Can someone who has both units say something about the DSP-power possibilities of the two?
In the Stomp you would need to have a very heavy patch to run out of DSP. The FM3 i think has slightly more DSP than the AX8, so i m expecting to have more power in that sense, however there are a few cases where people have been complaining about running out of DSP. The sounds of the Pod Go are exactly the same as the Helix ones minus some heavy effects and also having a fixed chain. You will not have any issues on the sound quality department. The differences will be in the workflow, the UI, the options offered. Also I tend to think that the Fractal stock cabs are a bit better than the L6 ones, but the vast majority is using IRs so no problems in that sense.

Same here: received a POD Go yesterday. Played an hour with it before we had the rehersal and it worked fine for the whole evening. I had to fine tune the two sounds in the studio, that I did program at home. My bandmates liked the sound, but I am not satsified. Too lifeless and flat for my ears. Cleaning up the sound with the volume pot of the guitar does not work good. But the Pod did the job for the evening. I choose mainly the "Hiwatt", because it cleaned up best (far from good) and got the Overdrive from two "OCD". To set it up was quick and easy.
The distortion character of the gainy amps is very similar but using other IRs helped to get a usable and nice massive tone. After more work on my presets today I found some ways to get some acceptable sounds within the limitations of this device.
The transition from clean to overdriven sounds still does not work for me and I dont´t expect to be able to change that.
I think the Pod is a plastic toy, but will find a lot lovers, because of its simplicity and price. Its small, makes noise -and has 8 switches! Six for the stompbox mode and four for snapshots. So it is a great backup. You get what you payed for.

What I found in the fm3 is not only the tone is good. I think if you know what you’re doing you can make must hear sound ok. But that “sponginess”, that feel under your fingers and the way you hear and feel the amp responding I’ve never find with the digital modelers I’ve tried. No experience with this last pod generation tbh.

Last edited:
@mischi_90
Do you still have a real amp with an FX loop? If so, try running theguitar into the Go and Go straight into the FX loop. See if that sounds better to you.

Transitioning from an amp/cab to a modeler/monitors can be difficult for some people.

My experience having both the Helix Stomp and the FM3 is that the FM3 is way beyond the Helix sonically- particularly when using Marshall style amp models. As for dsp, I am pretty meat and potatoes and initially I ran out of dsp but there have been a few updates that helped with that and now I can use- reverb (eco mode), delay, modulation, 2 drives before the amp block and cab block, and I usually still have some dsp left over.

My experience having both the Helix Stomp and the FM3 is that the FM3 is way beyond the Helix sonically- particularly when using Marshall style amp models. As for dsp, I am pretty meat and potatoes and initially I ran out of dsp but there have been a few updates that helped with that and now I can use- reverb (eco mode), delay, modulation, 2 drives before the amp block and cab block, and I usually still have some dsp left over.
Sounds like the FM3 should have enough power for me. And this is defintely some more options than the Pod Go has.

Back
Top Bottom