Line 6 HX Stomp w/ 3rd Party Impulse Responses vs Fractal

I also own both units so I'm definitely not here to poop on anyone. I was also honestly saying that I never use the advanced parameters on the Fractal. Honestly just the speaker page when I have accurate measurements made from my real cabs. Then the low cut frequency. Those two I'd love to have on the Helix but I 100% agree that even I, quite a tweaker geek, don't touch most of the advanced features on the amp sims.
With Fractal; "advanced tweaking" for me (at most) happens in the basic and preamp pages of the amp block. Input, bright and saturation switches as well as preamp boost. All the stuff I gravitate to is already 85-90% in the zone for me and it's just small tweaks.

I might start messing with the cab block parameters but I've really stuck with one main IR for everything. Maybe I shouldn't break my streak :eek::)

No real amps have 1000 parameters to tweak so why do amp sims?
Because real amps have many electronic components, most of which are precise to +20% - -20%, meaning a potential 40% difference from the next amp built exactly the same.

And since Fractal models the circuits, not the "sound", exposing these settings allows people to account for variability as well as "mod" their amp model just like they could with a real amp.

I only ever touch a handful of advanced parameters, and I could mostly live without them. But it's better to have and not need than to need and not have ;)

Because real amps have many electronic components, most of which are precise to +20% - -20%, meaning a potential 40% difference from the next amp built exactly the same.

And since Fractal models the circuits, not the "sound", exposing these settings allows people to account for variability as well as "mod" their amp model just like they could with a real amp.

I only ever touch a handful of advanced parameters, and I could mostly live without them. But it's better to have and not need than to need and not have ;)

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, if you like all the parameters that’s awesome. I loved my AX8 and got some great sounds but I’m an inherent tweaker so it wasn’t good for me.

I've found two advanced that I go to in the amp block (III)- clean or gained up they always sound great. No need to do more than choose a good ir. With the II it was a little more work.

I love having the advanced options available as this is where modeling goes beyond tube amps. I don't have as much time to play as I used to, so I like the sounds that developed through the years I'm familiar with. I can get versions of these quickly with most any device but I prefer the Axe-III and occasionally a tube amp just for fun.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, if you like all the parameters that’s awesome. I loved my AX8 and got some great sounds but I’m an inherent tweaker so it wasn’t good for me.

The III helps with that some as the most basic params are on the main page, then the more advanced stuff is usually on others.

I think the +/- 20% tolerances was true back in the 50/60s, but the tolerances are typically 5-10% these days. The tolerance for what I just wrote is probably 45-50% though.

But I agree with all the rest. ;)

Like I said before, I know the AX8 will be perfect for me tone wise. The HX Stomp looks really good because it fits on an existing pedal board with your other pedals that have defined your sound over the years. I love the sound I hear from Fractal when I go to shows, but then I hear this video and I say, that Line 6 stuff is good too. It would work for me too.

Like I said before, I know the AX8 will be perfect for me tone wise. The HX Stomp looks really good because it fits on an existing pedal board with your other pedals that have defined your sound over the years. I love the sound I hear from Fractal when I go to shows, but then I hear this video and I say, that Line 6 stuff is good too. It would work for me too.

Based on maybe 15-20 seconds of total guitar in that video, I most definitely would not say that (for myself).

Also, as I've said in other threads, the feel is the important thing to me. Most anything can dial in some acceptable tones these days - but the response of the modeler is crucial for me.

Not saying anything negative about the Helix because I've not played one. I'll reserve judgement until then ;)

I think the +/- 20% tolerances was true back in the 50/60s, but the tolerances are typically 5-10% these days. The tolerance for what I just wrote is probably 45-50% though.

But I agree with all the rest. ;)
Note how many of the modeled amps are from that era? Still, even a 20% variation on a single component is a lot... And multiply that factor by the number of components. :)

I'm baffled by the couple of posts above that imply the Axe-FX III is unsuitable for live work because the FC is not yet released. I don't want to start THAT discussion here, but in the context of this post about the HX Stomp, there are a few things that come to mind:

(1) The HX stomp has only 3 foot-switches (with the ability to add 2 more) and only 6 effect blocks. This will be very limiting for live work for many people.

(2) There are many inexpensive MIDI foot controllers that allow you to easily use an Axe-FX III live with patch changes and effect bypasses.

(3) IMHO the HX Stomp would be an excellent backup for the Axe-FX, and a cheap MFC would be an excellent backup for the Fractal foot controller.

I still don't get why people think that an HX Stomp at $600 is a good back up for anything, unless you are using a Helix. If you are using an AxeFX 2 or 3 and a controller, wouldn't an AX8 be the best back up for you? It's the same thing, it's small and it's ready to go with the same tones. If you are using an AX8 (me) a second AX8 is still the best choice next to a $600 competitors pedal which sounds completely different.

I don't get it, maybe it's me
As someone who has hopped around from one platform to another; (ahem) :D ; this is probably the best post of the thread as far as keeping it consistent when troubles pop up while gigging or recording. The III and a 3rd party controller (or heck, even a couple of expression pedals) is giggable as we speak. A HX stomp is as well; but it is different tones and workflow. So probably not the smoothest transition from one to another if said problems do arise.

If we are talking about more toys for the sake of having new toys to play with; I'm all for everything:)

I still don't get why people think that an HX Stomp at $600 is a good back up for anything, unless you are using a Helix. If you are using an AxeFX 2 or 3 and a controller, wouldn't an AX8 be the best back up for you? It's the same thing, it's small and it's ready to go with the same tones. If you are using an AX8 (me) a second AX8 is still the best choice next to a $600 competitors pedal which sounds completely different.

I don't get it, maybe it's me
To be fair, you can have the HX Stomp for $480 shipped... that's $620 LESS than the AX8 (actually, more like $645 because FAS charges shipping, and they have no retail channel options). In a couple weeks, the difference goes up to $745.

If money wasn't a factor, the BEST backup is an entire duplicate rig like a lot of pros have. If money still isn't a factor, but size is, then the AX8 is 2nd best. But the reality is that money matters to most people and spending $745 more than you need to spend on a backup that may never get used factors into the equation more heavily than any of us would like.

Does Helix Native use the same code as the hardware unit? I tried it, and thought it was the worst modeling software currently available. Unusable. Many free plug-ins are so much better. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the accolades.

Back
Top Bottom