Line 6 HX Effects: a possible alternative to the upcoming FC footswitches

Full MIDI programmability, scribble scripts, and some additional effects to utilize — seems to me that, depending on how expensive the FC-6 and FC-12 end up being, the L6 HX Effects might be a viable footswitch alternative for the Axe-Fx III, and II in particular.

Can't really see the logic in buying the most advanced guitar processor made, at $2499, and then not using a foot controller specifically designed for it, just because it might save a little money....

Whole point of the new FC's is that they are going to integrate seamlessly with the III, reflecting per patch assignments of scene, channel etc.

Should have used the word, “capability,” but either way it obviously means that it can control other MIDI capable devices.
Is there a chart or something showing exactly what it can do? Some devices say “full midi” and it can only send preset change messages.

Can't really see the logic in buying the most advanced guitar processor made, at $2499, and then not using a foot controller specifically designed for it, just because it might save a little money....

Whole point of the new FC's is that they are going to integrate seamlessly with the III, reflecting per patch assignments of scene, channel etc.

That’s all true, but it’s not necessary all about saving money. It could be argued that it might be a better investment to go with something non-proprietary that can be used with multiple devices. I’ve got a lot of different MIDI setups depending on my needs, so at least for me, it makes sense to go with something more versatile. But, as I said, it all depends on the final price of the FCs. Cliff mentioned in a post that it’s “possible” that the FC-6 will come in around $350, so if the final price comes in between that and $400, I’ll be all over it.

Is there a chart or something showing exactly what it can do? Some devices say “full midi” and it can only send preset change messages.

Oh I see what you mean. The HX can send preset changes and CCs. There doesn’t appear to be a MIDI implementation chart, but I checked the manual, and there is some explanation of how MIDI functions in the device. The manual does state, however, that certain CC messages are reserved for global functions and cannot be used as controllers. It’s unclear if they just mean that those CCs cannot be assigned to other functions inside the HX, or if they cannot be assigned to external devices as well. I’ll have to ask around about that.

I don't see how the HX could know to update things like the scribble strips when you change a preset, which seem like one of the main reasons to buy the FC. As you change a preset you get updated labels, color choices etc that reflect the changing settings on the III, and seemingly its easy to assign them, just like on the AX8 and its per preset switch assignments.

I like the idea, but I don't think it'll work out practically. How many MIDI commands can it send out per switch? And you'd have 6 switches for both MIDI and effects control, would limit your ability to use either device to its full potential.

It can actually send up to 6 MIDI messages per footswitch. Those can be a CC min/max, CC toggle, PC, MIDI note on/off, MMC, or amp channel toggles via the built in relays.

Not quite as many options as the MC6, for example, but a neat bag of tricks if you have one.

Personally for me, there is the pride of ownership that comes with looking at the floor and my rig and seeing Fractal Audio Systems on all of it. Anything else would just be like wearing brown socks with black shoes.

Personally for me, there is the pride of ownership that comes with looking at the floor and my rig and seeing Fractal Audio Systems on all of it. Anything else would just be like wearing brown socks with black shoes.
I share this sentiment - I love the fact that I've invested in something that is absolutely pro level - even though I'm mainly a weekend warrior (and sometimes weekday warrior). I have a giant country show coming up this summer that is expected to hit the 10-15000 mark for people - having the AX8 will make it soooo much easier to not worry about the load in and load out - getting off stage quickly etc (we're the opener) - not too mention the sounds that I'll get out front.

quite a good option if you keep in mind that you have a full backup solution in case your Axe Fx III starts to catch fire :D

quite a good option if you keep in mind that you have a full backup solution in case your Axe Fx III starts to catch fire :D
are there any demos of the unit by itself, not through an amp? even at the NAMM demos, they put it through real non-Line6 amps.

just do a youtube search, there are hundreds of them. Everything from bandgeek (Richi Castellano) for example is helix, Fermen has some stuff, Marco Fanton and so on...

just do a youtube search, there are hundreds of them. Everything from bandgeek (Richi Castellano) for example is helix, Fermen has some stuff, Marco Fanton and so on...
i'm asking about the HX Effects new pedal, not the Helix. i haven't seen anything with just the pedal direct. my friends are getting one for their setup, so i may be able to try one soon myself. still curious.

i'm asking about the HX Effects new pedal, not the Helix. i haven't seen anything with just the pedal direct. my friends are getting one for their setup, so i may be able to try one soon myself. still curious.

I'm curious as well. The HX should be able to do standalone pretty well I imagine, a light drive or two with maybe a compressor, running into an IR. Should do at least as well as a Fly Rig sort of pedal.

Since the HX doesn’t do amp modeling, I wouldn’t expect to find a direct recording of it, unless it was going into an amp going into a load box and then to a speaker sim. It’d be like making a direct recording of the FX8 without an amp.

Since the HX doesn’t do amp modeling, I wouldn’t expect to find a direct recording of it, unless it was going into an amp going into a load box and then to a speaker sim. It’d be like making a direct recording of the FX8 without an amp.
that's sort of my point. i think it can load IRs, and a drive pedal straight to IR can work in a pinch, but if it can't do that, then i don't see how this would be a backup. just don't want to mislead people in this thread who buy one and then don't have what they think.

No, it'd be a recording of the FX8 through an impulse response.
Distortion box through an impulse response type box can work pretty well. If you look up demos of speaker-emulation/IR pedals (Iconoclast, CabDryVR, etc.), some people just run distortion pedals directly into them and get good results.

that's sort of my point. i think it can load IRs, and a drive pedal straight to IR can work in a pinch, but if it can't do that, then i don't see how this would be a backup. just don't want to mislead people in this thread who buy one and then don't have what they think.
Yup, it can load IRs.

Back
Top Bottom