Line 6 HX Effects: a possible alternative to the upcoming FC footswitches

Like the FX8, it seems to be intended for use with real amps (otherwise just buy a Helix?). I think the IRs are there only because they could throw it in, and it adds some esoteric use cases.

For example, using the post-power-amp line out from your amp (Mesas have it built in, or use a special speaker-level DI) you can send your IEMs an isolated signal path with an IR of your cab and a room reverb. And with the dual mono fx loops, you should be able to do this while still doing regular 4CM. That’s pretty cool.

Or running an amp-in-a-box drive pedal through an IR, I guess?

I had this idea as well and bought a used hx effects to try. It wasn’t bad - but at the end of the day I prefer my MC6. First of all the hx effects is large - it can’t fit in a guitar gig bag. Not a game changer, but for me smaller is always better. I came to the realization that as a 6-button midi controller, the onboard hx effects become less interesting. This is because you basically have a bank with 6 buttons and if you set them up to control scenes and stomps, say, on the AxeFx, then there’s no room left for hx effects. That’s not a problem of course and you can put say 3 AxeFx blocks and 3 line6 effects on a bank, but I want to first of all have control of my AxeFx presets.

Then I thought well it’s also a stand-alone effects unit for when I use a real amp. But I found my zoom g3n does what I need (and fits in my gig bag)

So it’s a cool idea and some may like it. But I sold it.

I tried to use Helix as a midi controller for Fractal. This is only partially useful. Helix has programmable PC, CC, CC Value and other midi messages. But unfortunately Helix can send only one Midi Channel, PC, CC and CC value.
It also can not properly handle the selection of scenes. You can assign the message CC 34 and Value 1 to one switch and CC 34 Value 2 to the next switch, etc. Unfortunately, choosing the next scene after the first one does not turn off the LED indicating the activation of the previous scene. It's kind of a small thing, but it's annoying! You can handle more than 128 presets with your choice, but it's quite complicated - it works as a choice of another preset within the already used one.
I suppose it will be quite the same with Helix Effrects. However, if Helix or POD HD500 has any meaning (you can set the volume and wah in them for convenient use of Ax), HX does not have a built-in expression pedal :(
I tried various midi controllers and the MFC 101 is the best. And my custom MFC 101 even better :D

Back
Top Bottom