Line 6 Helix Reviews Are Starting to Appear...

This is the first convincing recording I've heard from the Helix. That sounds like it would sit well in a mix.
It probably helps that there's a lot less bass compared to many of the recordings and demos out there so far; most of those have that flubby, woofy, wooly sound that mushes out on palm mutes, but this recording sounds snappier and clearer.

The good guitar playing doesn't hurt, either.

Do you have any information on the source of this recording?

This is the first convincing recording I've heard from the Helix. That sounds like it would sit well in a mix.
It probably helps that there's a lot less bass compared to many of the recordings and demos out there so far; most of those have that flubby, woofy, wooly sound that mushes out on palm mutes, but this recording sounds snappier and clearer.

The good guitar playing doesn't hurt, either.

Do you have any information on the source of this recording?
Yes, found it in https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/?fref=ts

There are too many variables to conclude how a product sounds from a poor demo, and even with a good demo much (most?) of the credit is owed to the player himself. I haven't listened to a Helix in person, but my guess is that a great player will make it sound fantastic, in the same way that a poor player can ruin the awesomeness of the Axe-Fx.

?? Why would you adjust delay feedback for that song while playing it at a gig? But if it's something you need to do for some reason, you just assign control of delay feedback to an expression pedal so you can do it with your feet. How that nullifies the larger screen and UI makes no sense to me. I assume you do not have Axe EDIT hooked up to your AxeFx while playing at a gig, so that makes no sense to me either.

My point was I don't want to make in depth tweaks at a gig so I don't have use for the UI. The only tweak I would make would be to volume, bass, treble, etc. I can easily do that using the front panel. The only time I would use Axe Edit or UI is at home making tweaks to my patches.

Last edited:
All I can say is, at least I have enough talent to know that I'm not that great.

dpavel - it just gets better bro. Hashtag #RawEmotion:

Isn't that Scott Peterson?

F**k me - does this guy realise he's playing three different songs??

If someone wanted to create a video to make me not want to buy the Helix, this would be it.

For the record. I suck. Buy a Helix despite me and I wouldn't object.

Carry on.

Some metal Helix-test :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq1104tnzgbeaa7/Helix Test - Dual amp.mp3?dl=0

Did not shit in my pants, but pretty good sounding IMHO

I got my Helix yesterday & can confirm it definitely can sound & feel very good.

Literally only turned it on, updated to the latest firmware they released last week, & jammed on the first preset that came up.

It's called Whowatt, which is obviously a Hiwatt. I just cranked the master & basically set it up for a VH tone(yeah with a Hiwatt!), put some plate verb & it sounded very good. Sounded good even without the reverb.

I spent about 30 minutes just jamming on that, but then I had to go out.

I could tell just from that quick experience, it has a lot of potential for sure.

Built like a tank & very impressive looking in person.

We'll see what I think when I really dive in later today....

Last edited:
Literally only turned it on, updated to the latest firmware they released last week, & jammed on the first preset that came up.

Did you try to put Quantum SYSX on it? Because it probably would spontaneously combust in your hands.

54d3f816e7b4d_-_udnycbe.gif

Well I went to a demo of the Helix yesterday.........(one caveat was that Paul Hindmarsh - the Line 6 demonstrator was playing it, and that guy could make a $5 guitar through a $10 amp sound like the voice of god..monster, MONSTER player!!!....).....

...anyway, in stereo, through a pair of Line 6 2T monitors it sounded very impressive indeed- especially the bi-amped models, for example one patch of a Bogner combined with Fender Twin set up sounding totally majestic. It looks and feels solid and the UI is indeed very intuitive. I have a few minor reservations about gigging with it (mainly the prospect of beer showers and the errant feet of intoxicated "dancers" - but that probably goes for all floor based units) - but it appears some of the controls can be defeated if desired. I don't think there is a "wrong" answers in the Helix vs. AXE FX8 debate........only winners....."us"

My point was I don't want to make in depth tweaks at a gig so I don't have use for the UI. The only tweak I would make would be to volume, bass, treble, etc. I can easily do that using the front panel. The only time I would use Axe Edit or UI is at home making tweaks to my patches.

Man, I keep having to repeat myself. The UI isn't just for setting up your presets etc... IT'S FOR VISIBLE FEEDBACK DURING A GIG. That's where I think it's more important anyway. I can look down and see the scribble strip with the name of the preset I need and hit the switch. Hit the mode switch and go into stompbox mode and each button has a customized label for that preset. Since each button can be assigned to do multiple things, it helps to see what's where. If I played the same gig every day I wouldn't need it. But I don't. And if I want to set up a lot of presets, this will help. If it sounds good. I haven't had time to try dialing it in.

"We put the money into the sound portion." - I guess I'm still not sure what this means. Hardware? Software? Some of each? I haven't seen anything about where L6 skimped on the hardware side yet. Maybe someone in the know would have to do a tear down and identify where compromises were made. I think the conclusion was that the converters were equivalent, with more pathways on the Helix.
I guess it's hardware, the big screen, all the tiny ones, capacitive switches, all the converters (multiple loops) etc costs a lost... And on top of that they use processing power

Thank you

the internet is full of criticism, but at the same time, anything we produce and willingly put up here is allowing it :)

you seem to be one of the few actually producing content with the Helix, so no one can complain about that. keep doing what you do man. we all get different things out of music, and if what you create makes you happy, that's all anyone can ask for. usually those who take the time to negatively criticize don't ever produce content themselves for fear of criticism ;) strange how that works, eh?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom