Line 6 Helix Reviews Are Starting to Appear...

I have the exact opposite problem. Can't see anything up close anymore without readers.

Cliff, I'm not sure if you wear Contacts, but if you do go for multi focal contacts. They work great. I switched to them a few months ago. I no longer need reading glasses.

The LCD in the AX-8 is the same as the FX-8 and Axe-Fx II XL+. 160x80 pixels.

The UI on the AX-8 pales in comparison to the Helix. We put the money into the sound portion.

"We put the money into the sound portion." - I guess I'm still not sure what this means. Hardware? Software? Some of each? I haven't seen anything about where L6 skimped on the hardware side yet. Maybe someone in the know would have to do a tear down and identify where compromises were made. I think the conclusion was that the converters were equivalent, with more pathways on the Helix.

"We put the money into the sound portion." - I guess I'm still not sure what this means. Hardware? Software? Some of each? I haven't seen anything about where L6 skimped on the hardware side yet. Maybe someone in the know would have to do a tear down and identify where compromises were made. I think the conclusion was that the converters were equivalent, with more pathways on the Helix.

i'm pretty sure he's referring to the modeling/algorithms themselves. anyone can build a nice machine with top components...not just anyone can take the actual modeling where Cliff has...obviously.

i'm pretty sure he's referring to the modeling/algorithms themselves. anyone can build a nice machine with top components...not just anyone can take the actual modeling where Cliff has...obviously.

Rather than speculate, Cliff can respond if he wants to do so. Or not respond if he doesn't want to. :)

The LCD in the AX-8 is the same as the FX-8 and Axe-Fx II XL+. 160x80 pixels.

The UI on the AX-8 pales in comparison to the Helix. We put the money into the sound portion.

I would have to disagree with you Cliff... I have used Line 6 products in the past where they have that straight signal path that wraps around (which the Helix appears to do the same). I very much prefer the Axe-fx II's layout grid over the Line 6 grid. They only thing they have going for them is the bigger color LCD which is going to be prone to cracks and such (because it's a bigger target to hit!).

I cant imagine trying to adjust delay feedback I the middle of playing "Welcome to the jungle". I have a hard enough time just playing the song. This nullifies the larger screen and UI for me. Axe EDIT is good enough when I need it.

I love how Line6 didn't even do the effort to get someone skilled to make the IRs. The L6 IRs are to the ownhammers what a fart is to Chanel No. 5.
That's the beauty of being able to load your own, and the reason I just consider Atomic, Fractal and Line6 options for the future.

I cant imagine trying to adjust delay feedback I the middle of playing "Welcome to the jungle". I have a hard enough time just playing the song. This nullifies the larger screen and UI for me. Axe EDIT is good enough when I need it.

?? Why would you adjust delay feedback for that song while playing it at a gig? But if it's something you need to do for some reason, you just assign control of delay feedback to an expression pedal so you can do it with your feet. How that nullifies the larger screen and UI makes no sense to me. I assume you do not have Axe EDIT hooked up to your AxeFx while playing at a gig, so that makes no sense to me either.

I would have to disagree with you Cliff... I have used Line 6 products in the past where they have that straight signal path that wraps around (which the Helix appears to do the same). I very much prefer the Axe-fx II's layout grid over the Line 6 grid. They only thing they have going for them is the bigger color LCD which is going to be prone to cracks and such (because it's a bigger target to hit!).

I'm too much of a newb to understand the grid yet. But the part about the bigger screen being prone to cracks is an interesting thought, even if it is nothing more than pure speculation.

Back
Top Bottom