Line 6 Helix 3.0 released

It is weird to me what ppl use stuff next to the axe. Of course I am as gassy as the next guy, but I thought there was nothing the competition can do that the axe 3 can’t. The only reason I have an extra unit (ax 8). Is for rehearsals or as backup for if the axe or midi pedal should stop working. I can’t live without being able to play, so that would get me through a gig or a period where my machine iscaway for repairs.
Any other reason than gas to own a helix/ line 6 whatever?

Harm

It is weird to me what ppl use stuff next to the axe. Of course I am as gassy as the next guy, but I thought there was nothing the competition can do that the axe 3 can’t. The only reason I have an extra unit (ax 8). Is for rehearsals or as backup for if the axe or midi pedal should stop working. I can’t live without being able to play, so that would get me through a gig or a period where my machine iscaway for repairs.

Harm

I'm minded of something my old mentor used to say, "it's handy sometimes to have something different, or worse, sounding as your ears get used to the setup you have and something different makes you appreciate the main rig rather than just hearing it all the time"

Now whether or not your ears would, or could, ever tire or all the options in a Fractal I think the point stands, sometimes it's nice to have something different around

Harm

FAS doesn't have a VST plugin for recording, so it's time consuming to have to re-amp in real-time. If you use the same IR's with the Axe-Fx and Helix, you can get 99% the same sounding amp tones.

I really like how the Helix Native plugin seamlessly integrates with the Helix hardware. There are many things the Helix can't do that the Axe-Fx can but some people like the simplicity of the Helix. The Helix user interface and HX Editor is very user friendly, so most users don't need to read the manual. It's also very easy to create presets from the hardware and it looks just like the HX Editor, where as the Axe-Fx hardware looks nothing like Axe-Edit. A lot of people are able to make better sounding presets because they don't get confused by a ton of advanced settings like in the Axe-Fx.

I have the Helix Floor which I like because it includes a built in expression pedal and is portable, so I just need my guitar and Helix backpack. I can just power it on and start playing. With my Axe-Fx, it's in a rack and I have to connect my MIDI foot controller and my expression pedals.

I personally like all the advanced features in the Axe-Fx and hope FAS some day soon makes a VST plugin to compete with the Helix and Neural DSP Quad Cortex.

I'm minded of something my old mentor used to say, "it's handy sometimes to have something different, or worse, sounding as your ears get used to the setup you have and something different makes you appreciate the main rig rather than just hearing it all the time"

Now whether or not your ears would, or could, ever tire or all the options in a Fractal I think the point stands, sometimes it's nice to have something different around

oh yes I get that. I’d just nit think of an other modifier. A good tube amp wouldn’t surprise me. I read gotmetalboy, so that practical reason I get.
anyway, to each his own haha.

It is weird to me what ppl use stuff next to the axe. Of course I am as gassy as the next guy, but I thought there was nothing the competition can do that the axe 3 can’t.

Harm

So you only have one guitar? And one amp? Really?? ;)

I have a few - (several) - (OK - a lot of) - guitars. I enjoy playing different ones at different times. Many of them sound so similar to each other but are just different to play. Same with amps - I have a few... And modellers? I have the AxeFx3, the Helix Rack, an HX Stomp, and an Ampero, plus others from the past, like a Zoom G5, Rolands, TC G-System, etc etc. And I play 'em all. Because I can.

So why should modellers be any different from guitars and amps? If you can afford to GAS on them, and buy more than one - why not?

So you only have one guitar? And one amp? Really?? ;)

I have a few - (several) - (OK - a lot of) - guitars. I enjoy playing different ones at different times. Many of them sound so similar to each other but are just different to play. Same with amps - I have a few... And modellers? I have the AxeFx3, the Helix Rack, an HX Stomp, and an Ampero, plus others from the past, like a Zoom G5, Rolands, TC G-System, etc etc. And I play 'em all. Because I can.

So why should modellers be any different from guitars and amps? If you can afford to GAS on them, and buy more than one - why not?

Because thats not brand loyalty and it confuses fanfolk the world over.

I have to give credit where credit is due the poly pitch poly sustain
whammy all pretty good the new slicer looper rocks to
horizon drive and acoustic sim
There is a lot in this update thats teally good
they are improving IMO

HEADS-UP!!!
Email from Line 6 yesterday:
YOU’LL WANT TO UPDATE
RIGHT AWAY!​
We have just released a firmware update to Helix 3.0.

The 3.01 update addresses potential severely corrupted audio output. Due to this, we recommend updating your Helix family device as soon as possible.

This issue may also be experienced on Helix Native—an update for Native will be available soon.​

I haven’t updated my Helix in a looooong time... there’s actually some pretty cool stuff in there now. The slice looper is cool, I don’t have my head wrapped around how to control it yet, but I ended up with some really cool trippy rhythmic stuff coming out of it last night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom