Line 6 Helix 3.0 released

From the vids I've watched, seems the new poly pitch stuff is really pushing cpu limits on Helix. Can't remember when Helix was introduced but it's been a few years - getting close to hardware upgrade time I suspect.

I still get good value from my PodHD as an added midi controller for Axefx, and, my grand daughter plays it thru fx return of my Blackstar Combo - amp pre models (no cab) sound great thru the power section of that amp

I don't have a Helix, but I do get curious every so often what the competition is offering. The Shuffling Looper sounds like a really cool idea. I'm also curious how good the acoustic simulator is and I'm sure guys who love Swedish Death Metal are envious of the Boss HM2.

I've gass'd for the HX Stomp a few times for it's tiny size and to have all the Helix sounds - but alas, trying hard to keep my gas in check

My favorite thing they took a run at is this:
Poly Sustain (Mono), Line 6 Original infinite sustain with a modulated poly pitch engine built in

Yes the poly pitch stuff clearly does eat cpu, but otoh you don't have to use it if you aren't willing to make the trade-off.

I haven't updated my Helix in a while (or used it), maybe I'll do that and check it out.

Yoinks. My Helix sits on the floor collecting dust and is giving me recriminating looks, better upgrade it. Everyone and their coding cousins are releasing updates lately, hard to keep up ...(and just upgraded to III mk2 just now.............)

The update for the HX Stomp is great, but it makes me angry at the same time.
They finally added command center functionality, but I still can't name the functions, or set the LED colors. I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible.

The new HM2 sounds ok, but I couldn't dial it in like my HM2 clone. It always sounds too harsh and fizzy (yes, even for an HM2). But it's usable for that swedish death sound.
The new acoustic simulator is really good.
The polyphonic stuff was not very convincing, but I have to spend a little bit more time with it. And yes, it eats A LOT of CPU...

I don't get the HM2 in the Helix to sound 'right'. So no need to be jealous, except I'm doing something really wrong ...

But maybe we'll get the HM2 someday too. I really hope it.

Been awhile since i've heard Line6 stuff. Quite an improvement since I had the original kidney bean pod. Not bad at all.

Been awhile since i've heard Line6 stuff. Quite an improvement since I had the original kidney bean pod. Not bad at all.
I would like to hear the XT Live with Helix IRs. I was trying to decide between the AX8 and Helix. While the Helix did sound better than its predecessors, I couldn't get past some of the "artifacts" I heard that reminded me of the XT Live. My conclusion was that being able to load IRs made the difference. Needless to say, I went with the AX8.

....and yes, it does sound pretty good, a friend of mine has one and he gets some really good tones from it.

As the owner of both a Helix Rack and an AxeFx3, I keep both of them bang up to date. I just updated the AxeFx3 to v14.05 (and Axe-Edit-III updated too).

Then I updated the Helix Rack to the new v3.0 - and I have to say there is a heap of good stuff in there. I'm only just starting to play with the new stuff, including the Poly shifter, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

I've gass'd for the HX Stomp a few times for it's tiny size and to have all the Helix sounds - but alas, trying hard to keep my gas in check

I had one last year. Really useful for its size but barring a few areas I never bonded with it or found as inspiring or satisfying to play through as my AX8 and sold it to help fund my III
I'd be tempted by a cheap second hand one

the poly sustain can be duplicated in the axe with reverb hold and the sustainer thing with delay hold (and pitch shift). and that glitch delay is trivial with a square wave mod tied to tape delay motor speed. the shuffle looper is really nice and similar to something i've been doing for years with the looperlative looper and mobius. no way to duplicate in the axe.

The main reason I like the Helix is because of the Helix Native plugin. It makes recording and re-amping so fast and easy. If I use the same IR with my Axe-Fx and Helix, I can get really close tones. I wish FAS made a plugin even if it only had FAS Drives and Amps. I'm going to upgrade my Helix Floor to v3.0 tonight.

Back
Top Bottom