Line 6 G90 users: still like?

claxor

Power User
Now that the Line 6 G90 has been out for a while, and I know many of you guys use/have used it, what do you think of them now?

Thanks!

I had to switch, I kept getting interference with all the other wireless devices at my church. I switched to a Shure qldx4. I love it. I'm going to be buying another transmitter next week so I can use it with my Les Paul and change the mic offset so it matches my strat.

I had to switch, I kept getting interference with all the other wireless devices at my church. I switched to a Shure qldx4. I love it. I'm going to be buying another transmitter next week so I can use it with my Les Paul and change the mic offset so it matches my strat.

Scott,

Do you mean the new Shure QLXD14 or are you referring to the Shure GLX-D14? The don't see the one you mentioned.

Scott,

Do you mean the new Shure QLXD14 or are you referring to the Shure GLX-D14? The don't see the one you mentioned.

Yes, the QLXDX14.
Its relatively new. It will do a frequency scan of all the wireless frequencies being used in the area and select one for you. You then sync to the transmitter through ir. It was around $971.00 but well worth it. The biggest thing is that it's in the 64hz spectrum, not the 2.4 that all the wireless routers, phones and line6 g90 live. I always wanted another transmitter, but was almost impossible to find another g90 available. With the qlxdx4 you can add more and sync to the same receiver.
here is the link

when you buy it from sweetwater they sell the components separately for some reason.
I had to buy the guitar chord separately.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/wireless-systems/qlxd-digital-wireless-systems

I actually have a g90 for sale on Craigslist, if you are interested. Spend the extra money you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I've been using Line6 wireless gear for several years and am very satisfied. I have a G90 in my touring system, and it's worked flawlessly everywhere we've played, including festivals with multiple active stages.

I've used my g90 for years live. I use 2 transmitters. Never a problem. Knock on wood. Lol

Had the G90 for almost 4 years now. Generally, solid as a rock, and tonewise no issues at all. However, I do get occasional drop outs, either because I'm too close to the receiver, or with wifi at one of the places we play quite regularly. I replaced the guitar/belt pack cable with good quality aftermarket items as the original cable started crackling and buzzing after very little use. As for the belt packs, I find the battery life is not the best, and the battery life counter is not reliable with rechargeables.

I don't want to sound too negative as it has, by and large been a good purchase. However, if I have to replace it I will probably go with Shure next time.

I have my rack with my G90 and Axe Fx sitting on top of my Behringer X32. The computer and wireless router are right next to it. Some gigs the wireless is rock solid and some gigs I have dropouts. I have yet to narrow down why that is. I'm sure it's a proximity issue and not necessarily a fault of the G90. Any wireless may give me issues with the way it's set up. I'm considering trying the Shure GLXD to see if its any different, since I believe it scans for an open channel. I did replace the cable from the belt pack. Line 6 use the same cable that Shure has been using for years, and I knew from my experience from my old LX wireless that the stock cable wouldn't last.

From and tone and signal viewpoint, the G90 is great.
I do NOT like the battery compartment door design which pops open or fails to make contact with batteries.
I have two transmitters and both do the same.

Do you have to keep some distance from the G90? I'm really going to be using it mainly at home, and I probably will sit or stand near the receiver.

I use mine (I have the G55 version as I didn't need the extra features) at home and never have detected any issues, even in the room with my wif router, iphone, ipad, laptop etc.

Its frankly pretty amazing how well it works, and sounds, given a reasonable price tag (G55 being a better deal again). I could use a cord at home easily, but that wireless freedom kind of spoils you.

Now if we could only get nice IEM's down to an everyman price point....

Do you have to keep some distance from the G90? I'm really going to be using it mainly at home, and I probably will sit or stand near the receiver.
My comment was based on my personal experience and may not apply to all. It's not a consistent thing and there could be other factors. Also, in a typical 3 hour band rehearsal, I'm talking about one or two glitches during that entire period. So, let me re-state: the G90 has worked fine for me, overall, and has been good value for money. However, I will probbaly switch to a different make if and when I replace it.

Use mine every week and the only thing I have noticed recently is that the cable is not fitting as tight into the transmitter pack. Not sure if it is something with the cable or the transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom