Line 6 FBX / FVB to control FM3 can it be done?

I have he chance to get a Line 6 FBX custom foot controller for $30. If I could use it to extend my foot switch options on my FM3 I would do it. Is this possible?

I have he chance to get a Line 6 FBX custom foot controller for $30. If I could use it to extend my foot switch options on my FM3 I would do it. Is this possible?
The short answer is no as @chris said.

The longer answer is, there is a project from ~12 years ago that converted the FBV protocol to MIDI but that'd only get you part way to where you need to be, and going down that path would result in you taking on ALL the burden of making it work, which, for $30, isn't something I'd bother doing. (BTW, "FBX" was renamed to "FBV" soon after they were introduced.)

There are many pure MIDI controllers out there that can work with Fractal's devices, but with them, again, you take on an increased burden for making it work. Some of the units have better integration with Fractal than others, but none are as well integrated as Fractal's own FC-6 and FC-12 units. Years ago I experimented with using a well-regarded MIDI controller but their integration wasn't very good at the time and after many months I got fed up, sold it and bought an FC-6. Fractal's units are very closely coupled to the FC units and the tools to customize the FC layouts are built into the modelers and the associated Edit application. There's a learning curve of course, but it isn't anything like trying to do it with MIDI.

MIDI is powerful, and makes it easy to control multiple devices from the same foot controller, and if that's what you need they can be easier than trying to do it all from inside the Fractal, but for controlling the Fractal itself I think their own pedals have the advantage.

The short answer is no as @chris said.

The longer answer is, there is a project from ~12 years ago that converted the FBV protocol to MIDI but that'd only get you part way to where you need to be, and going down that path would result in you taking on ALL the burden of making it work, which, for $30, isn't something I'd bother doing. (BTW, "FBX" was renamed to "FBV" soon after they were introduced.)

There are many pure MIDI controllers out there that can work with Fractal's devices, but with them, again, you take on an increased burden for making it work. Some of the units have better integration with Fractal than others, but none are as well integrated as Fractal's own FC-6 and FC-12 units. Years ago I experimented with using a well-regarded MIDI controller but their integration wasn't very good at the time and after many months I got fed up, sold it and bought an FC-6. Fractal's units are very closely coupled to the FC units and the tools to customize the FC layouts are built into the modelers and the associated Edit application. There's a learning curve of course, but it isn't anything like trying to do it with MIDI.

MIDI is powerful, and makes it easy to control multiple devices from the same foot controller, and if that's what you need they can be easier than trying to do it all from inside the Fractal, but for controlling the Fractal itself I think their own pedals have the advantage.
Great thank you for the information. I will let that thing slide on down the road.

Back
Top Bottom