Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal

rayneman

Hi, does anyone know if the Line 6 EX-1 pedal should work as an expression pedal with the AX8?

I'm in quite some $$ at this point with this AX8 rig, and HAVE the Line 6 expression pedal, so while its not as nice as most others, I was hoping it would work as a global volume until I pick up something else. I know another $100-$150 for a nice pedal isn't breaking the bank, but after buying the AX8, board, Line 6 L2M monitor...all before even knowing if this will work for me live, I need to stop the spending!!

Anyway, I purchased as new TRS cable and attempted the setup as described in the manual on page 85. I plugged into Pedal 1...but during the first step of calibration, the screen reads the minimum when the pedal is heel down, but only a fraction higher when toe-down. I continued the process and it doesn't do anything to the output volume.

The Line 6 pedal is old, I know, so before I go and raid the wallet again for an expression pedal, I wonder if this is user error or the pedal may just not work with the AX8.

Any wisdom would be very appreciated!

Tim

Another thought...I would imagine this silly Line 6 pedal is not compatible with anything but Line 6 stuff.

Hence, could anyone recommend a decent expression pedal I could just buy at Guitar Center that won't cost too much?

I would like the EV-1 and will get one eventually, but I absolutely need something in the next day or two so I can finish this rig and be ready for a bunch of jobs that start next weekend.

I see lots of expression pedals, but as I am sort of new to this, some seems like they are made for certain units, and some seems like they aren't something you'd use with the AX8 and are just non-digital regular volume pedals.

Judging from this picture, it looks like in is wired for for TS cable? I'm sure it could be modded for a three wire jack and a TRS cable. An easy mod if you're capable of that sort of thing?Line 6 pedal.jpg

Judging from this picture, it looks like in is wired for for TS cable? I'm sure it could be modded for a three wire jack and a TRS cable. An easy mod if you're capable of that sort of thing?View attachment 32421

It doesn't (or at least the one I have) have a wired cable so I bought a TSR. That could indeed be the issue though, and the more I've looked into this thing, I believe its only for Line 6 products...in fact I think it came along with some used Line 6 thing I had purchased and subsequently sold.

I appreciate the suggestions... that Roland pedal is available at my local GC!!

The Line 6 pedals I have only have a TS connection so that is the issue. The EV-5 looks flimsy but I've had 2 for 13+ years and I can't break them (I break almost everything else). Like Moke said watch out for the trim pot on the side and make sure it's always fully counter-clockwise or it can surprise you. I just magic markered a rotation arrow on it and a setpoint so I wouldn't forget.

I can tell you that the FAS EV-1 is the best expression pedal I have ever used. It comes at a price, obviously. I have two of them on my touring board, along with a Mission controller for wah. The Mission controllers are also high quality, and they have the familiar action of a Dunlop Crybaby (which is why I have one on my board). In my opinion, it's worth the extra money to get either a Mission, or EV-1. If you decide you don't like those pedals for some reason, they keep their value for resale.

I can tell you that the FAS EV-1 is the best expression pedal I have ever used. It comes at a price, obviously. I have two of them on my touring board, along with a Mission controller for wah. The Mission controllers are also high quality, and they have the familiar action of a Dunlop Crybaby (which is why I have one on my board). In my opinion, it's worth the extra money to get either a Mission, or EV-1. If you decide you don't like those pedals for some reason, they keep their value for resale.
+1........My intention was to replace all my expression pedals with some FAS EV-1's when they stopped working. But that Boss EV-5 won't cooperate......;)

Ha! I know that feeling. I have a few pieces of gear that I planned to replace when they eventually failed. My late-70s Morley volume / wah pedal is one of those. When I got it brand new, back in high school, it was a good dual-purpose pedal. Once I started gigging fairly regularly, I figured it would wear out, and then I'd replace it with a Crybaby. That pedal still works and is sitting in my studio right now.

Got the Roland cheapie for now. GC matched the Musicians Friend price. Seems to work just fine. Planning on using my Petrucci wah for the moment as I really dig it so when the black Fractal pedals are in stock I will grab one.

Done for now!

372C9296-59C8-4D64-9A01-74C440ACDC0F_zpstkkqjskd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom