Line 6 at NAMM 2015

Same old engine in a new body won't fix things in my opinion ...... I've 2 versions of the Variax, the old pickupless one and the newer Tyler 59 ...... both now sitting in the corner of dead things. Unreliable technology as far as I'm concerned and I'll never go down that path again.

Me too. Had a model 500 several years back. It was more of a novelty than a playable guitar. Neck was horrible. The JTVs I had - Korean and USA - weren't much better. I liked the necks but had two mainboards die.

M series of stompbox modelers were pretty good products, but L6 bailed on FW updates after like 2 years. Hasn't been touched in forever.

Yeah, I played with a JM4 at GC one time. Not exactly plug and play, which is odd, cause that's Line 6's main calling card.

Line 6 - LOOK ONE KNOB DOES EVERYTHING!!!

Guitar Guy - But it sounds awful.

Line 6 - BUT ONE KNOB!!!!!!!

Guitar Guy - The other guitarists are making fun of me.

Line 6 - HAZ ONE KNOB!1!!!11

Guitar Guy - I think I'm just gonna buy something else.

Line 6 - ONE. KNOB.

Guitar Guy - Ooooh, what's an Axe-FX?

Line 6 - ...

In my head, Line 6 guy is wearing a fedora.

Was as NAMM yesterday and checked out the new Line 6 stuff. (For fun)
They have a new multi-efx stop pedal that looks like it's supposed to be easier to use, but I was not impressed with the sound.

The new wireless unit looked nice. Relay G70 & G75
It seemed like the best part was the receiver. Nice all metal box that was made to last.
Most all the added features were in the transmitter. Looks like they want to center your pedal board around it's use.
Supports multiple receivers for different guitars, so you can switch between them with a "stomp pedal", each output
has adjustable gain and dirt settings.
They way the were showing the demo, this "pedal" was the "centerpiece" of you pedal rig.
To me it looked like they were adding features to a product that it doesn't really need.
Didn't ask about the prices, I could see they were trying to add value and price to something I didn't need.
When asking about getting a Bi-Directional wireless unit, the answer from a couple of guys there was, "no, never".
I think when someone else comes out with one, then they will change their mind.

"Ultimate Ears" did have a interesting unit on display.
It was basically a mini box that sits between your wireless receiver and you IEM's.
It's job was to listen to the input and clamp down on the volume should something very loud come in and hurt/damage your ears.
They mentioned one of the biggest concerns/fears of IEM users was if feedback or a bad setup sends an extreemly loud signal to your IEM's, damage can occur to you ear.
This device is designed to cut down the volume to no damage can occur.
I was thinking it sound like a limiting compressor or something, but I didn't get a chance to play with it.
It looked like a pretty good idea, but I suspect wireless receiver manufactures will build this feature in a short time frame.
UE Sound Guard - Custom In-Ear Monitors - Products
I didn't get a chance to test it out, but was surprised how small it was.

They have a new multi-efx stop pedal that looks like it's supposed to be easier to use, but I was not impressed with the sound.

It seemed like the best part was the receiver. Nice all metal box that was made to last.
Most all the added features were in the transmitter. Looks like they want to center your pedal board around it's use.
Supports multiple receivers for different guitars, so you can switch between them with a "stomp pedal", each output
They way the were showing the demo, this "pedal" was the "centerpiece" of you pedal rig.
To me it looked like they were adding features to a product that it doesn't really need.
Didn't ask about the prices, I could see they were trying to add value and price to something I didn't need.
When asking about getting a Bi-Directional wireless unit, the answer from a couple of guys there was, "no, never".

It was basically a mini box that sits between your wireless receiver and you IEM's.
It's job was to listen to the input and clamp down on the volume should something very loud come in and hurt/damage your ears.
They mentioned one of the biggest concerns/fears of IEM users was if feedback or a bad setup sends an extreemly loud signal to your IEM's, damage can occur to you ear.
I was thinking it sound like a limiting compressor or something, but I didn't get a chance to play with it.
It looked like a pretty good idea, but I suspect wireless receiver manufactures will build this feature in a short time frame.

LOL, I'd put money on that.

How big is the G75? I think the average guy is probably going to want to put it in a rack, and it looks a bit too tall to rack it.

It's job was to listen to the input and clamp down on the volume should something very loud come in and hurt/damage your ears. They mentioned one of the biggest concerns/fears of IEM users was if feedback or a bad setup sends an extreemly loud signal to your IEM's, damage can occur to you ear.
Looks like its a simple limiter with a few other features.
Most IEM units (above entry level and even some of those) ALREADY have peak limiters built in to protect your hearing. I know the Shure PSM200 and Carvin EM900 units do, but the limiters are not adjustable. The Galaxy AS900's don't have them.. others may not.
The "pro" units like the PSM1000 and the Senn EW300 G3 have adjustable limiters.

These kinds of postings are some of the little spicings of life. What's even funnier is the coincidence of the content with the username.

Yeah, I played with a JM4 at GC one time. Not exactly plug and play, which is odd, cause that's Line 6's main calling card.

Line 6 - LOOK ONE KNOB DOES EVERYTHING!!!

Guitar Guy - But it sounds awful.

Line 6 - BUT ONE KNOB!!!!!!!

Guitar Guy - The other guitarists are making fun of me.

Line 6 - HAZ ONE KNOB!1!!!11

Guitar Guy - I think I'm just gonna buy something else.

Line 6 - ONE. KNOB.

Guitar Guy - Ooooh, what's an Axe-FX?

Line 6 - ...

Looks like its a simple limiter with a few other features.
Most IEM units (above entry level and even some of those) ALREADY have peak limiters built in to protect your hearing. I know the Shure PSM200 and Carvin EM900 units do, but the limiters are not adjustable. The Galaxy AS900's don't have them.. others may not.
The "pro" units like the PSM1000 and the Senn EW300 G3 have adjustable limiters.

The Galaxy 1100 has a brick wall limiter. The holy grail, IMO, is an ADJUSTABLE limiter in an in ear monitor system. As it stands, I just toss a compressor before the IEM so I avoid hitting the built in limiter because it sucks.

I never liked Line 6 amps except the Spider Valve Series which was made by Bogner all real Valves and the modeling of Line 6 in a 1x12 Combo (very heavy to carry) and this one sounded really good for me at the time. But i did only like the "Rosana" preset. No crunch, clean or whatsoever it soundet just artificial - no comparison to Axe, althoug I haven't been able yet to get the Rosana ton in the Axe - maybe I should tonematch? Well they're lots of very good sounds in this black box.

Here is a Sound-Clip of the Spider Valve MK i where I played on a birthdayparty "The Loner" of Gary Moore made with an old smartphone and played with my Indie Les Paul - I will make a recording with the Axe of this song next time...

http://youtu.be/-UCwKL9_fxk

How big is the G75? I think the average guy is probably going to want to put it in a rack, and it looks a bit too tall to rack it.
It's not very big (I have a picture with a guitar pick for scale in my NAMM coverage on TGP). I forgot to ask if they have a rack kit.

While led I don't find the routing features tremendously useful, I did find many of the features well conceived. Having a tuner saves space on a pedal board, at least for the G70. The way it supports multiple transmitters is clever and useful IMO. Having a battery cover that can't be list is definitely a win.

Saw the line 6 wireless at namm. I stopped looking after they told me it didn't have a rechargeable lithium battery.

I did see WI Digital, and they have a cool little unit.....

I use four line 6 wireless units in our group and not had a drop out on any!
G55 - mine guitar, G30 - my old one the bassist has stolen, two of the V35 radio mics.

ALSO YAMAHA have just purchased LINE 6. They intend to run them seperately but you can bet your bottom dollar Line 6 will be merged in to Yamaha....

It's not very big (I have a picture with a guitar pick for scale in my NAMM coverage on TGP). I forgot to ask if they have a rack kit.

While led I don't find the routing features tremendously useful, I did find many of the features well conceived. Having a tuner saves space on a pedal board, at least for the G70. The way it supports multiple transmitters is clever and useful IMO. Having a battery cover that can't be list is definitely a win.

So it looks like it could fit in a single space on a rack. You could probably get 3 across, if you needed to. I don't care if it has a rack kit, so much, it can always be velcro'd to a shelf, if needed. The main feature I like is internal antennas. But I'm also hoping I like the "sleep mode" thing, cause I'm always killing batteries. I won't be using the routing stuff either, I let my Axe-FX do all of that. I am considering getting a guitar with a piezo-acoustic bridge, so I might buy a second one, one day, so the less space they take up, the better.

Back
Top Bottom