Line 6 at NAMM 2015

kevinerror

Looks like new wireless packs and a new Variax guitar, and a new pedal board thats a combo of their Amplifi POD HD range called Firehawk. Besides the ability to tweak things from your phone, nothing huge new in it. Also, some updates for the existing POD HD stuff: global EQ and the ability to purchase amp packs. They are going to offer around 10 new amps for $100, to start.

Looks like I made the right choice jumping ship to Axe FX. $100 for more amp models after YEARS of nothing, and after already spending $600 on the unit..? No thanks..

I'm moving away from Line6 stuff as a whole. The G-series of wireless just doesn't do well enough for my production in the density we need/have. Sennheiser ew 572's are awesome :).

Yeah line 6 seems to go cheaper and cheaper. Instead of pushing forward they choose to repackage old stuff.

I did the model pack thing back with the PODxt. That was kind of it for that unit. One last giant update, and not much after that. I wonder if this will go the same way.

I am also surprised that after 2 years of no updates they didn't even include bug fixes, or common complaints or anything.....

I'm curious to see the new wireless packs.
I got the shure glx recently and I'm not in love with it.
Love the recharge feature...but the cable the provide is junk, and I have to scan for new channels at every gig. It always starts having interference once the club is grilled with cell phones. I know everyone that has the shure glx loves it....but I'm not overly impressed.

At namm 2013 I thought the line 6 room sucked. None of the speakers were hooked up. It was just pointless that they brought them.

Side note...I'm on the plane right now heading to namm....thanks jet blue for free wifi!!!!

Ha! There's a company whose products I don't miss. I sometimes feel bad for the L6 rep that has to constantly defend the company over at TGP.

They're just now getting Global EQ for the Pod HD?!? Cutting edge......

I've been on "this side of the tracks" for just over 2 years. No comparison! I also started with the PodXT and model packs. Quality control became non-existent. I had the "dream rig" which was a nightmare. Went through 3 Pod HD500s, two Variaxes and a DT50. I wrote to the CEO and he agreed to basically buy back my equipment. Personally I'd love to see FAS come out with a modelling guitar done right.

What I "really, really want", is a bidirectional wireless unit. That way I can run my guitar out and In Ear Monitor into me using a single unit.
I don't have any problems with wireless unit I have and love doing gig setups with it. Helps me to ensure I am not too loud or too soft without
relying on the sound tech, if we have one.

Anyone see anything like this?

I'm not a fan of Line 6 modeling, at all. I owned a Vetta II for 5 years, up until they stopped supporting it, in fact, and never could get anywhere near what I wanted out of it. I got in the ballpark of what I wanted out of my Axe-FX in less than a month, and nailed it in less than 6 months. So unless they threw out everything they've done over the last 20 years and started from scratch, I couldn't possibly care any less about their new modeling crap.

HOWEVER, I love my Line 6 wireless, and I'm kinda looking forward to what they have in the new wireless department, cause we need a second wireless. I really wish they'd put out (in several price levels) IEM systems. I've also considered getting a Variax for a live "filler" guitar.

My last piece of Line6 gear was the JM4 Looper. Great specs on paper, but had an interface designed by someone who hated humans. A classic case of a product designed by marketing and not musicians. Pack as many features as they can onto a spec sheet, have the marketing team do cartwheels singing the praises of their new all-in-one wonder and forget that people actually have to use it.

Getting rid of it and getting a Boomerang was a wise choice.

My last piece of Line6 gear was the JM4 Looper. Great specs on paper, but had an interface designed by someone who hated humans. A classic case of a product designed by marketing and not musicians. Pack as many features as they can onto a spec sheet, have the marketing team do cartwheels singing the praises of their new all-in-one wonder and forget that people actually have to use it.

Getting rid of it and getting a Boomerang was a wise choice.

Yeah, I played with a JM4 at GC one time. Not exactly plug and play, which is odd, cause that's Line 6's main calling card.

Line 6 - LOOK ONE KNOB DOES EVERYTHING!!!

Guitar Guy - But it sounds awful.

Line 6 - BUT ONE KNOB!!!!!!!

Guitar Guy - The other guitarists are making fun of me.

Line 6 - HAZ ONE KNOB!1!!!11

Guitar Guy - I think I'm just gonna buy something else.

Line 6 - ONE. KNOB.

Guitar Guy - Ooooh, what's an Axe-FX?

Line 6 - ...

Yeah, I played with a JM4 at GC one time. Not exactly plug and play, which is odd, cause that's Line 6's main calling card.

Luckily I didn't pay much for it. I bought it from a friend for a "friend price". I sold it on Craigslist to a guy who insisted he was going to use it that night at a live performance. I cautioned him that there is a definite learning curve, but he insisted on buying it. I wonder how that show went for him.

interested to see what the new wireless units are like, i've always thought the G series were pretty dang good.

The G series are decent enough, until you need high density. Right now we have 8 mic and 4 instrument channels in use. We have issues with them in this application (especially when the house gets packed with 400-800+ cell phones with WiFi pinging about), so we're moving to real professional gear with Sennheiser ew 572 G3s for instruments, ew 500 G3 for IEM ew 500s for mics. I wish the G-series held up for our needs, as they are super affordable... but oh well.

It looks like I'm in the minority that likes the HD500x. It works well enough and sounds decent enough for what it does. It's a "good enough" backup rig to an Axe, if you can't swing a 2nd Axe. IMO, YMMV etc. etc.

The G series are decent enough, until you need high density. Right now we have 8 mic and 4 instrument channels in use. We have issues with them in this application (especially when the house gets packed with 400-800+ cell phones with WiFi pinging about), so we're moving to real professional gear with Sennheiser ew 572 G3s for instruments, ew 500 G3 for IEM ew 500s for mics. I wish the G-series held up for our needs, as they are super affordable... but oh well.

It looks like I'm in the minority that likes the HD500x. It works well enough and sounds decent enough for what it does. It's a "good enough" backup rig to an Axe, if you can't swing a 2nd Axe. IMO, YMMV etc. etc.

Big fan of the G55 in my rack thus far, no issues with dropout yet (and a dozen channels to choose from). But it's definitely not the cream of the crop, just a great value for what it is IMO.

Also, I really love the HD500 as a MIDI controller, and the models are... usable in a pinch (until you start comparing it to an AFX). No qualms with their effects either, M-class is decent enough and certainly better than a lot of other products that attempt to cram the kitchen sink into a unit in the same price range.

The G series are decent enough, until you need high density. Right now we have 8 mic and 4 instrument channels in use. We have issues with them in this application (especially when the house gets packed with 400-800+ cell phones with WiFi pinging about), so we're moving to real professional gear with Sennheiser ew 572 G3s for instruments, ew 500 G3 for IEM ew 500s for mics.
We're running 4 instruments (G90, 3 x G50) and zero wireless mics.. (all wired) and haven't experienced any density issues on the INPUT side - channels are spread as far apart as possible - in similar sized venues (400-800+).
We ARE experiencing interference/dropouts on the OUTPUT (IEM) side. We've spread the channels on the 5 transmitters as far apart as possible (4 * PSM200 and a Carvin EM900) and that has reduced it a great deal.

That said.. It's unclear to me that your issues are solely due to L6 density.

Back
Top Bottom