Limelight no tone match

Bump

Re-uploaded

Looking for feedback and suggestions for improvement. Adjust eq and gain to taste, but this is an attempt to match the Moving Pictures studio version, not the live version, where he always uses too much gain. And, of course, the album version is multi-tracked (at least double-tracked, hard to tell for sure).

Do it after the weekend. 11 is really something! My next gigs aren't until Labor Day. Hoping for the public release by then.

I should try it in 10.xx though. Curious.

I don't have a weekend fom gigs until Sept 14th which u s awesome but bad for playing with new FWs I am hoping the actual public release hits by then so I can try it out stress free lol

Cool. Well, let me know when you get a chance. I'm hoping maybe Cliff will chime in, since he's apparently a big RUSH fan. And I need to listen to Alex when he states about using dual delays in the solo.

It's far from perfect, but it's a really hard tone to nail.

There's a thread on TGP where you can hear the isolated guitars perfectly, and it includes a clean guitar part during the verses that you can't hear except on the 5.1 release of Moving Pictures.

I'm kinda wondering whatever happened to the Marshall 4140 amp that Cliff obtained, was hoping we'd see a model of that since it is all over the MP album.

I'd love to have that amp model! It might get me closer.

Problem is that there are at least two tracks for main OD parts, plus a clean guitar. That's tough to model.

Anybody try my patch above? Really looking for constructive criticism and advice.

Sadly, I don't have much time to tweak it right now. I have to set up patches for Jesus Christ Superstar in Sept., and a covers gig over Labor Day weekend (we don't know what we're playing yet...!).

Thanks for the recommendation. I had heard about that but forgot.

Thing is, I'd love to find a way to nail without tone matching, but it's proving to be pretty tough.

Maybe Scott Appleton could do it for Alex on RUSH's next tour (when he uses the amp and cab sims instead of just effect and acoustic). Then he could post it here for all of us to enjoy.

I have the Alex Lifeson custom les Paul and it sounded great with the patch. However oddly enough my esp Kirk Hammett KH-2 played the patch identical to the song. Great job man! For me the patch is mission accomplished!

Last edited:
Thank you! Glad to be able to share it.

I tried it with many different guitars, and while there might some tweaking necessary, I went with less gain and tried to keep it from being bass heavy. (Alex's problem when he plays it live is too much gain and too much bass.)

The goal was to get as close as possible without tone matching or PEQs. That last 10% or so could probably be nailed with tone matching (and the use of Jammit since the guitars a multitracked), or some careful EQ.

I would like to try it using a model of the Marshall Town & Country with a Hiwatt (two amps, two cabs) at least for the main OD parts.

My next goal, once my upcoming show is over, is More Than a Feeling.

Lol I wrote Alex Marshall because I was looking at a Marshall amp while I was typing.. Obviously I know it's Alex lifeson. Duh me.

As I said man the patch is perfect for me!

Please work on peace of mind versus more than a feeling. The scrape noise in that song is so hard to replicate!! It seems I have to use crap tools like Amplitube to match it for some reason. I would love to get that tone on the axe!

Thanks man!

I love Peace of Mind, and quote it often to people (most of whom lead far too busy and hectic lives).

Anyhoo...

That would be another great one. The key to either song is to get a good acoustic song. I like to use scenes since there's no lag when changing sounds. It might take some time to figure out.

So glad you like my Limelight patch. I'm pretty happy with it.

I played the patch for about an hour tonight. I agree that many people add too much gain when copping tone. Bands like AC /DC, Rush, Led Zep used a lot less gain when you focus on the tone. Anyway, I love the patch, although, ironically, I added a Y amp for added boost/gain. I'll AB it with my Hiwatt over the weekend.

Cool. Y for the solo?

Would you send me the patch?

I just turned boost on for the Y amp and saved the patch back in the X state. I only did that because I frequently will wander the house using my wireless and like the extra gain the cut through the closed door. : )

Was fooling around to get a 2112 sound and tried to make a fender/marshall combination...instead i got a fairly decent limelight version...levels are a little screwed too but hey I'm no pro at creating patches and this certainly comes so close for me and so near that i want to share it with you guys and hope that someone will improve on it cos i think it's worth it...it should need some compressor...and a better chorus/flanger type....and alex switched celestion speakers to fane but i have no clue as to which cab would get close to that so i just used the marshall mixes which sound good anyway...for the solo i just hit drive...the echo should probably be longer setting too. Im playing this with a wartmoth les paul with bare knuckles pu and headphone

it's my first post...so i hope the patch is upped properly.

greetz to all!

Attachments

• RUSH Limelight.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom