Like Sand Through the Hour Glass

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
Mrs. Geeze and I are downsizing to move closer to the grandkids in south Texas. We have been blessed to be in our current home for 12 years. Yesterday, I started tearing down and packing Electric Geezerland (my studio). Early in the process I found myself discouraged at the size of the task before me. I could not help but think, "What midiot bought all this stuff". But then the answer was right in front of me.

At this stage, we are not exactly sure where we will end up, but I do know that Electric Geezerland will rise like the Phoenix from the ashes of the moving van. Tempos fugit.

We moved from our first house after only living there 5 years. When we started packing things the wife and I were like, "How did we amass all this shtuff after only 5 years?" We've been at our current address for 23 years now and are thinking about our next move. Oh how I dread that day.

...so are the days of our lives.

This is so funny because I was talking with our bass player at a gig last night and he was helping another guitarist move who is a mutual friend. His wife was lamenting the loading up of his guitars.

Her: "You know how many guitars he has?"
Bassist: "I don't know, a lot I guess. 25 or 26?"
Her: "77"

Funny but so true of we who make music. The original hoarders... I mean collectors.

arrrg, I often think I should be selling some guitars, especially every time I buy a new one! Im fine here, but when I move one day how many do I really need 1, want 100!

We've been at our current address for 23 years now and are thinking about our next move. Oh how I dread that day.
Yikes! I thought 12 was bad enough. We will have the proverbial "garage sale" but I'm not looking to sell any of my gear at the garage sale. I'll probably sell some stuff privately.

This is so funny because I was talking with our bass player at a gig last night and he was helping another guitarist move who is a mutual friend. His wife was lamenting the loading up of his guitars.

Funny but so true of we who make music. The original hoarders... I mean collectors.
Only 77?

arrrg, I often think I should be selling some guitars, especially every time I buy a new one! Im fine here, but when I move one day how many do I really need 1, want 100!
Unfortunately symphx, move day has arrived for me. The strings are tuggin'. I don't mean guitar strings, I mean Mrs. Geeze's heart strings.

@Geezerjohn my wife and I are at the start of the same journey. Although we are moving to a smaller house in the same town.

I am faced with disassembly of my studio and packing it all up.

South TX? Close to McAllen?

Anyways, I dread the idea of moving. After ten years in the current house we rented the largest dumpster we could get to the house and filled it up. I think it would be easier just to buy another house than try to move LOL

That actually makes me feel better. I'm usually around 30....and I think, man I'm just hoarding for no reason.
I guess I can get to 50 or so and not be hoarding. The bar has been set -> 77.

Best of luck to you. Sometimes a move or a remodel is a chance to reevaluate the things we've acquired and do some sorting that otherwise wouldn't happen.
Cheers to a new beginning in your new home.

@Geezerjohn my wife and I are at the start of the same journey. Although we are moving to a smaller house in the same town.

I am faced with disassembly of my studio and packing it all up.
We currently live 3.5 hours north of the kids and grandkids. We really want to be more involved with them, so we downsize. We would be faced with this eventually, so might as well bite the stick and get it overwith now. That said, the move is daunting.

South TX? Close to McAllen?

Anyways, I dread the idea of moving. After ten years in the current house we rented the largest dumpster we could get to the house and filled it up. I think it would be easier just to buy another house than try to move LOL
Not all the way to McAllen. My youngest daughter and her family live in College Station. We know we do not want to be in town, so we are hoping to find a place out in the Boondocks. We will try the garage sale first, but the dumpster is plan B.

I've got 12 guitars and feel guilty

..... only because now I've got to buy two new ones next instead of one to avoid having 13

Welcome to the southern half of the Lone Star State. I'm about 50 miles south of Houston, 45 west of Galveston should you even head this way and need anything. Bryan/College Station area is nice. I bet you'll like it once the move is behind you.

Back
Top Bottom