Lightest Axe FXII rig for playing live

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I’m trying to figure out what would be the lightest Axe FXII rig for playing live.

What is the lightest weight guitar case?

What is the lightest and best guitar gig bag?

What is the lightest pedalboard solution?

What are the lightest controller pedals?

What are the lightest 2 and 4 space road cases?

What are the lightest passive cabs?

What are the lightest active cabs?

What are the lightest powered PA speakers?

Here is what I’ve found so far.

What else do you suggest?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedges and Cabs:

Matrix N12 (1x12 lightweight guitar cab) = 16.9 lbs

QSC K8 = 27 lbs

Matrix CFR 12 = 29 lbs

QSC K10 = 32 lbs

Matrix Q12 (passive) = 33 lbs

EV ZLX12P = 34.3 lbs

JBLPRX612M = 34.5 lbs

Xitone passive cabs = 33 - 35 lbs apprx

Matrix Q12a (active) = 35lbs

RCF NX 12-SMA= 36.3 lbs

Xitone active cabs = 35 - 40 lbs apprx

QSC K12 = 41 lbs

Atomic CLR Passive Wedge = 44 lbs

Atomic CLR Passive Cab = 45 lbs

Atomic CLR Active Wedge = 45 lbs

Atomic CLR Active Cab = 46 lbs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Amps:

Carvin DCM 200L = 4 lbs

Matrix GM50 = 5 lbs 5.71 oz

Behringer iNuke NU3000 = 6.6 lbs

Matrix GT 8ooFX = 8 lbs 2.51 oz

Matrix GT 1000FX 1u = 8 lbs 2.51 oz

Matrix GT 1500FXBD 1u = 8 lbs 6.04 oz

Matrix GT 1000FX 2u = weight 4,1kg

Matrix GT 1600FX 2u = weight 4.7kg

Peavy IPR 16000 DSP = 7.25 lbs

Carvin HD 1500 = 9 lbs

Carvin DCM 1000L = 10 lbs

Crown XLS 1500 = 10 lbs

Crown XLS 2000 = 10.75 lbs

Crown XLS 2500 = 12 lbs

Carvin DCM 15000L = 14 lbs

QSC GX7 = 15.5 lbs

Art SLA2 = 19.8 lbs

Art SLA-4 = 19.8 lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you need a backline? You might consider going direct to FOH and in-ear-monitoring? It'll sound great, and no one will be the wiser that you didn't bring an amp.

What are the lightest 2 and 4 space road cases?

I think Gator Cases are up, or should that be down, there - They'll hold your kit together but I wouldn't want to have to fly with them.

Great question -- I have been struggling with this myself. I have a herniated disc that when it acts up it sucks. Last Sat for example, I had to play sitting down for part of our last set.

I think I have the main components of my gig rig pretty much down -- however I am still struggling to find a light weight ATA style case.

Right now I am using the Audiophile ATA case R4UE-12 Rack Case

It is 25 pounds making my rack

AF2: 14.75
Matrix Gt1000: 8
AFRAM Panel: N/A
ATA Case: 25

Total rack weight: Approximately 47.75 pounds

If I could knock off 10-15 pounds off the rack weight it would be great.

I also have a Gator 4U soft case which is light weight, however it is not deep enough to safely close without unplugging some cables in the rear of the Axe.

For my board I am using a TrailerTrash 24x12 board which weighs nothing and has handles which are extremely helpful in lifting and lowering the board.

Are there any ATA style cases out there made of composite materials (i.e. carbon fiber etc) that give you the same form factor and strength without the weight?

Last edited:
I have the Roadrunner 2 rack space with laptop space and it's quite light. For lightest controller, one of these with the midi expander. SoftStep / 12 Step Comparison They won't exactly replace MFC, but with scenes and one of these you'd still have a ton of flexibility and weight is well under 2 lbs.

For monitor, the Mackie DLM8 is 22lbs might be the lightest functional solution. RCF NX10 is 32 lbs and will still blow your head off.

With Axe in 2 rack space with cables and KM controller, plus DLM8 plus telecaster in bag, you'd be under 50 lbs for the whole thing and one trip.

This is a great topic. But then... it needs some more details to be answerable.
For example: I've played live with no amps or speakers of my own at all -- Axe-Fx direct, with in-ear monitors. Total weight of "rig" = Axe-Fx II + SKB case.

I've also done "live" Axe-Fx clinics where I've carried a tiny pair of AEGON "monitors".

Please take a moment to describe your gig environment and you'll get a more complete answer. Solo guitar? Live drums? Other players using... Musical style? House PA? Room size, etc.

I'm not sure which parts of axe-fx are steel, but swapping those for aluminum really helps. Metric halo did this with some of their chassis plates.

If I had to do super light and I needed a speaker of done sort. I'd use a gig bag, mackie dlm, roadrunner 2u rack bag with just ii, liquid foot jr and one or two mission sp1lfs. My guitar would be an Anderson hollow model by the way.

This is a great topic. But then... it needs some more details to be answerable.
For example: I've played live with no amps or speakers of my own at all -- Axe-Fx direct, with in-ear monitors. Total weight of "rig" = Axe-Fx II + SKB case.

I've also done "live" Axe-Fx clinics where I've carried a tiny pair of AEGON "monitors".

Please take a moment to describe your gig environment and you'll get a more complete answer. Solo guitar? Live drums? Other players using... Musical style? House PA? Room size, etc.

I'm a musical chameleon and my gig environment changes and is varied. Studio work, session musician, solo shows, live shows in a very loud rock bands, etc. House PA most of the time, but not all of the time. Room sizes have varied from very small rock clubs to the Royal Albert Hall in London. Some of the musical styles I like best are Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, SRV, Eric Johnson, Adrian Belew, Joe Satriani, and Steve Vai. I like acoustic music and traditional music as well.

I am not asking these questions just for me though. I think a lot of people are trying to build light weight rigs. I figured a few others on the forum might be doing the same, and would share the ideas and solutions that are working for them. I am examining every aspect of the gear I am carrying and trying to cut weight in every area.

The last time I saw Eric Johnson he was carrying his guitar in a light weight gig bag. I don't remember what kind.

Fripp was always saying "the only musicians who will do well in the future will be the ones who learn to become small mobile intelligent units."

After many years of trying to get as small as possible I ended up with this rack, plug direct to PA, use IE system, but have a floor monitor provided by sound company in front of me for sustain/feedback etc, it's 4 space, and includes the AXE 2 of course, a G-50 GTR wireless, a MIPRO IE wireless monitor system and a Furman AC215 A. This rack + an MFC with a Mission SP-2 pedal does all i need for any gig.. and it's fairly light, rack is less then 40 pounds. Have been trying to always go as light as possible, but this is as small as I can get it.
AXE2rack.jpg

A gym membership isn't too expensive either.

But in all seriousness what m@ said.

Axe-Fx in rack bag, midi pedal and guitar is what I've gigged with. Monitoring is always different but I can carry my rig on me.

Axe-Fx II in a 2U rackbag.

Bring no monitor. No power amp.

Guitar in a gig bag. If you need two guitars: get the Mono M80. Holds two guitars plus cables etc. Get the accompanying Guitar Tick for pedals and stuff.
All on your back so it's comfortable and easy to carry.

To just switch presets, use a Boss FS switch or a Tech 21 MIDI Mouse.

Pedals: Roland EV5.

Back
Top Bottom