Lightest and the most protective conditioner seeked.

We had a full black-out, while I was connecting the power cable of axe. It wasn't connected yet. Electrics went off, it might happen at home also.

Wouldn't that unit prevent damage from this?
The only things that will protect against a blackout are things with big, heavy batteries in them. No power conditioner or regulator can overcome a blackout.

Anyway, a blackout by itself won't harm the Axe. I always turn mine off by throwing the power switch on my power conditioner.

Reactions: Cem
The only things that will protect against a blackout are things with big, heavy batteries in them.

i take one of those heavy things with me when i do sound - if a blackout happens, my digital mixer and other similar gear stays on - no boot sequence or anything to wait for when/if power does come back on.

power amps and speakers definitely get shut off though - battery backups don't provide that kind of power.

i've always contemplated taking a smaller UPS with me for just my axe - it's pretty light and should keep my axe on long enough for me to power it down safely or if i made any changes that i didn't save yet.

The topic is "the lightest most protective conditioner seeked" ..........and people are suggesting Voltage Regulators and UPS...... /lol

I don't thing you need a UPS. It doesn't do much good to have power if the rest of the band goes down. You should be concerned with joule ratings though. Sometimes lighter isn't better. I work for an electric utility during the day, so I can tell you that certain fault currents can tag electronic devices, but are viewed as an act of god by most utilities. You should base your decision around joule ratings to protect your gear. If you want the lightest protection get a power strip from Walmart, if you want real protection than we are talking about something else. Certainly, the lightest cheapest surge protection is a power strip from Walmart.

The topic is "the lightest most protective conditioner seeked" ..........and people are suggesting Voltage Regulators and UPS...... /lol

no, we're showing that the qualities he wants only come in large heavy VRs and UPSs. :)

I don't thing you need a UPS. It doesn't do much good to have power if the rest of the band goes down. You should be concerned with joule ratings though. Sometimes lighter isn't better. I work for an electric utility during the day, so I can tell you that certain fault currents can tag electronic devices, but are viewed as an act of god by most utilities. You should base your decision around joule ratings to protect your gear. If you want the lightest protection get a power strip from Walmart, if you want real protection than we are talking about something else. Certainly, the lightest cheapest surge protection is a power strip from Walmart.

So you say that, a good power strip from walmart can do the job of cheap power conditioners?

I also don't think that I need UPS.

So you say that, a good power strip from walmart can do the job of cheap power conditioners?

I also don't think that I need UPS.

I am saying that it will give you minimal surge protection and is very light. There are a range of protection that only you can choose. If you are going for lightweight a power strip will give you light weight, but less protection. I'm just telling you that you should pay attention to joule rating vs weight. Joule is a measure of energy and in the case of electrical systems can go very high. If there is a fault very close to your equipment there is a good chance it can get zapped. Most manufacturers/utility companies will not cover this sort of damage, that is why it is preferential to protect the gear ourselves as consumers and connect our gear using protected circuits with the highest joule rating we can afford. Often times, light is not the most sought after attribute of said gear.

I am saying that it will give you minimal surge protection and is very light. There are a range of protection that only you can choose. If you are going for lightweight a power strip will give you light weight, but less protection. I'm just telling you that you should pay attention to joule rating vs weight. Joule is a measure of energy and in the case of electrical systems can go very high. If there is a fault very close to your equipment there is a good chance it can get zapped. Most manufacturers/utility companies will not cover this sort of damage, that is why it is preferential to protect the gear ourselves as consumers and connect our gear using protected circuits with the highest joule rating we can afford. Often times, light is not the most sought after attribute of said gear.

Thanks a lot for such cool answers. I will check local stores for what kind of protected plugs i would find asap :)

Monster Power Pro 2500, 1u rack space. Has a voltage meter, "ground ok" light, wiring fault light, clean power on light, protection on light, abnormal voltage light, and plenty of plugs. Been using these for years with no problems. Then again, a decent power strip might do the same thing, but I'm no electrician.

Undervoltage supply (ie "Brown-out" as opposed to "Black-out"), can be far more of a problem than you think as the following quote refers to:-

"If you know what a power surge is, a brownout is essentially the opposite. Instead of the voltage surging, the voltage sags. However unlike power surges brownouts are sometimes caused on purpose by utility companies. Putting a power grid into a brownout for some can prevent overloads, stopping a potential blackout. Common and annoying but usually harmless traits of brownouts are flickering lights, the rapid switching on and off of appliances and interruptions to computing and the internet. However when it comes to valuable electronics, the irregular voltage can damage or destroy them."

One example for why this can occur is to consider an electronic device that uses a switch mode power supply designed to operate within nominal voltage supply range. Very simplistically, as the voltage is reduced, this type of power supply draws more current from the mains supply to maintain the same ouput power to the load (Power is related to volts x current and phase angle between them ). If the mains supply voltage drops too low and the electronic device power supply does not have appropriate in-built protection then it can draw excessive current and cause catastophic failure of the power supply.)

The power switch on the front of the AxeFx does nothing more than cut mains power. The cable runs from the back panel plug to the switch and then to the PSU. You can't hurt the AxeFx by cutting the power or pulling the plug. As long as there's nothing else causing spikes the axe will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom